Power Steering Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The main tech page on here has many Saginaw conversions but no FJ-40. I am trying to find some one that has completed the mini power steering conversion in a 1970 / FJ-40. This F engine doesn't have the holes drilled in the block. So how do I overcome this? I am trying to find out what exactly has to happen to make this complete. Where do I locate the power steering pump with the air cleaner and alternator on the left side of the engine? Can the pump be located on the right side of the engine? I would like to find someone that has some pictures of the conversion completed on the early FJ-40. Does the firewall have to modified for the power steering in any way? Also I have seen several different mounts mentioned on here and different sites. Is there really one that is better than the other or maybe cheaper? This would not only help me but others as well. ??? Thanks in advance.

I aggree with jwdawson. I want to do the minitruck conversion but I haven't found a complete write up for the 40's. There is a good one for the 55 and I'm sure is close. (in the IH8MUD tech section). I will build the mount bracket myself, but the ones on the tech link that do have instruction on how to make the bracket is for a 55 (I don't know , maybe it will work on a 40).

Anyway, I think it would be an awesome write-up. :D

Welcome.

Why do you not want to go another route other than a Toyota power gear box? What is your intended use of this vehicle?

"This F engine doesn't have the holes drilled in the block. So how do I overcome this?"

By spending a lot of time and money...

Have you looked at a later year 40 that has a manual set up in it which would be very similar to the power set up you want? This would, or could, shed a lot of light on your many questions, as you would be able to see the many differences in the two manual steering set ups from the early to late modle trucks...

You have to build or purchase a pump bracket, yes your steering column and possibly the firewall will need to be modified, yes you can mount a powersteering pump on the right side of the engine..you are only limited by your resources and time...

Good luck!

-Steve

[quote author=tlcgear link=board=1;threadid=13631;start=msg126191#msg126191 date=1080104561]

[/quote]

You, and many others...

Please, do not let the iron in your blood turn to lead in your ass... ;)

Get that write up done and post up some pics!!!

Good luck!

-Steve

I am in the process of doing just that with the conversion. Can't afford to have the lead in the rear. Just hoping someone out there might have some help and ideas for me. The 40 selection around where I am living is "three". The guy that lives two blocks over already has the V8 and Saginaw conversion and the guy that lives in town never drives his Cruiser. He is an older man that has a body shop. I live in west central Louisiana where the selection of much of anything is really limited!! I will do the conversion and will post the write up and pics. Thanks so far..

Dude...

Are you looking at building a wheeler, or just want power steering on a truck with 31's or 33's for light use? The antiquated multi-link/multi-pivot set up found in a stock configuration leaves a lot to be desired, and is something that many people look to remove, and consider an improvement when going through all the work to do a PS swap....

If you are not going to be using this truck for anything needing tires larger than say 33x12.50's or maybe 35x12.50's, and do not mind the fact that you have the extra joints in the set up, then go for it, but there are far more efficient ways to steer your truck...and from a few people that I have talked to, the factory style set up/configuration is not the best when trying to manipulate larger tires off road at lower tire pressures...

Good luck!

-Steve

Your right Steve about the larger tire issue. I will only be using it for lite wheeling where I live. It is just a nice thing that I want on my Cruiser. I am willing to go through the work and time. So maybe instead of being sarcastic I can go ahead and help some of the Cruiser people out there. I thought that was what we are all in here for anyway. Just a thought though!! Thanks for the advice.

I just wanted to do the easiest posible. I will be using it as my DD but go play sometimes. I will probably end up going with the scout setup. Either way, whatever I do, I'll do a write up on it. :D

- Rico.

[quote author=tlcgear link=board=1;threadid=13631;start=msg126191#msg126191 date=1080104561]
I aggree with jwdawson. I want to do the minitruck conversion but I haven't found a complete write up for the 40's. There is a good one for the 55 and I'm sure is close. (in the IH8MUD tech section). I will build the mount bracket myself, but the ones on the tech link that do have instruction on how to make the bracket is for a 55 (I don't know , maybe it will work on a 40).

[/quote]

i made my own box bracket . you'll need about 10" of 3x3x1/4" angle, 10" of 4x4x1/4" angle and some small chunks of steel (for gussets) the 3" angle bolts to the frame(in the old rivet holes) and the 4" angle gets welded to it at the right angle so that the mini box slips right into the steering colum. you'll need to switch pitman arms as well. i'll try to find more pictures. :cheers:

heres some more

heres the mini truck pump, with its narrower pulley. i'm gonna try it, i hope it will be alright ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom