Power steering conversion on 74 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've done a lot of reading on this topic, but still not exactly sure what I need. I have a 74 FJ40 with a Chevy Small Block 400 conversion (stock tranny and transfer case). The PO included a mini truck steering box and a box bracket. What are my options for the power steering pump and other components? Does the Chevy small block change my options much (ie still use a saginaw pump)? Is there a definitive parts list for the other components I need to do this? Any help is appreciated.

yup, sag pump. then you can run adapter fittings for the pump and box and run -6 jic ends. i have all the fittings and hose in stock if you need it.

hth

georg @ valley hybrids

Mini truck power steering will create a very tight clearance problem with the SBC. I couldn't get enough clearance to keep it so I ditched it on my build and opted for a 60 steering gear. Lot's of available components for the pump with the SBC. I was able to pick up everything but the steering gear from the local pull-apart and bolt it directly to the motor.

Lot's of resources here on steering gear options and linkage modifications required for the steering column.

Last edited:
I seem to have a lot of room around the manual box as well. I'm not sure how much difference in size there is between the usual 350 conversions and my 400 conversion. The mini truck box doesn't seem any bigger than the manual box. Can someone point me to a couple of threads that might have part numbers? I pretty much know what pump to get (saginaw), but not sure on the rest. I will do some more research as well.

Mini truck power steering will create a very tight clearance problem with the SBC.

how so? there are plenty of cruisers out there with gm V8s and either manual boxes, factory 40 ps boxes or minitruck boxes. they're basically the same size.

If the manual box fits, wouldn't the mini truck box also fit? Is the mini box larger? Does it fit further across?

I've got a decent amount of clearance to the manual box (from 350). https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/448066-sbc-swap-manual-steering-2.html
I'm thinking mini truck would be the easiest and have no plans of tires larger than 33".

the minitruck box is shaped differently where it attaches to the pedestal so the oem cast iron pedestal will not work. if you find one for an oem fj40 ps box, then that will work. otherwise you'll have to go with one of the aftermarket brackets/pedestals/mounting kits. i took over making one of the options from bill dorry and sell them now.
i would not advise running either of the oem manual or power steering boxes from a 40 series or a minitruck box with 33x12.50 or larger tires. you will run into interferrance issues with the inside of the tire hitting the realy rod. this can and will ultimately cause the TRE at the pitman arm to bend and possibly break. i've seen this happen, not something you'd want to experience first hand! :eek:

I'm not sure how much difference in size there is between the usual 350 conversions and my 400 conversion.

none! every small block produced from day one to the second generation vortecs ( starting in 2001 ) are basically the same dimensions and use the same exhaust bolt pattern amongst other common features.

hth

georg @ valley hybrids

So, are you saying if I plan to run 33 10.50's any time in the future I should be OK with mini truck PSBox?

Power Steering - JTOutfitters

Orangefj45 can provide you with everything you need to complete
your mini-truck PS set up except for the saginaw "pump bracket" which u can get at any bone yard or ebay, summit racing etc....the above site is just for reference....so you can get a visual on what else you need on top of what you have....if you decide to go with the mini-truck set up of course......

orangefj45

Power Steering - JTOutfitters

Orangefj45 can provide you with everything you need to complete
your mini-truck PS set up except for the saginaw "pump bracket" which u can get at any bone yard or ebay, summit racing etc....the above site is just for reference....so you can get a visual on what else you need on top of what you have....if you decide to go with the mini-truck set up of course......

:crybaby:Say this isn't true! You don't have the sag pump bracket in stock?:lol::rolleyes: I am going to need one to go with all the steering parts I am going to get from you.:hillbilly:cowboy

Hi All:

OrangeFJ45 does not carry the Saginaw PS pump bracket for Chevy V-8s.
Dunno if he sells one for Toyota I-6s.

Seriously, Chevy V-8 parts are quite easy to source, nothing too special here.

Regards,

Alan

:crybaby:Say this isn't true! You don't have the sag pump bracket in stock?:lol::rolleyes: I am going to need one to go with all the steering parts I am going to get from you.:hillbilly:cowboy

Hi All:

OrangeFJ45 does not carry the Saginaw PS pump bracket for Chevy V-8s.
Dunno if he sells one for Toyota I-6s.

yes, i do make the ps pump mounting bracket kit for the F and 2F engines.

georg @ valley hybrids

PS pump bracket

If you are going with OEM pump brackets, what you will need depends on the water pump you are running, and if you have holes tapped in your head or your exhaust. I am running a long water pump with headers on a 327. Here is what I found, the bracket on the left is what you will use for sure. The bracket on the right will work also if your exhaust is tapped. Since I have headers and my heads are not tapped, I'm going to have to fab another bracket in the mess somehow, shouldnt be that hard. I found if you have a short pump, cheap oem brackets seem to be easier to come by. There are plenty of aftermarket brackets for $60-$80, but i just picked these up on ebay for $15 shipped to my door, hard to beat that. Hope that helps.
ps pump bracket 2.jpg
ps pump bracket.jpg

Bought everything on the front of this engine used from a used race parts shop. bout 400 bucks
phone 001 271.jpg

that's some really nice stuff and high quality, but finding replacement parts in a pinch is just not an option.........................really the only draw-back.
georg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom