Pot Metal Indicator Stalk Repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.freewayoneentertainment.com
Posting here because the majority of 45's in NA have this type of indicator stalk. Obviously where the pot metal stalk contacts the brass switches, over 50 years these things tend to wear down. Does anyone know which commonly found metal could be used as a repair? My aim is to use a low flame and drip perhaps copper onto the worn ends and then sand it back to form.

IMG_6716.jpg

Maybe JB Weld Steel Stick epoxy putty?? I have used it on steel, wood, even patched a hole in the bottom of a gas tank.

Posting here because the majority of 45's in NA have this type of indicator stalk. Obviously where the pot metal stalk contacts the brass switches, over 50 years these things tend to wear down. Does anyone know which commonly found metal could be used as a repair? My aim is to use a low flame and drip perhaps copper onto the worn ends and then sand it back to form.

View attachment 2251599
Hey Cult, would it be to small to drill each side and put a very small pan head screw? in as the wear point? or maybe just a pin epoxied in and shaped?

Could you wrap it with a thin piece of stainless?
Could do Michael yeah, but I reckon JB would be a better repair?
Maybe JB Weld Steel Stick epoxy putty?? I have used it on steel, wood, even patched a hole in the bottom of a gas tank.
#1 contender so far!
Hey Cult, would it be to small to drill each side and put a very small pan head screw? in as the wear point? or maybe just a pin epoxied in and shaped?
I did think of that but I reckon it'd crack?
Maybe some JB welding of brass shim pieces.
Thinking JB will be enough on its own?
What a bought replacing the lever with a good used one?
Virtually impossible down here. And I like the idea of repair over replace!

That is still available from Toyota new. You have to drill and tap if you still have column shift but it was available last time I checked. 84310-60022

That is still available from Toyota new. You have to drill and tap if you still have column shift but it was available last time I checked. 84310-60022
According to toyodiy.com it is indeed available: ToyoDIY.com. Only in the US and Europe though. The JB Weld repair didn't stick. Potentially not enough surface area.

Can you extend the contact point instead of the lever, ie the fixed part.
Potentially, but a stock function would be superior methinks Sneak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom