Events/Trails POSTPONED: Tech Day at OTRAMM 4 April (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

100 Series is belt driven. I've yet to change one for being bad. It's usually either the rack leaking or the hoses to and from the reservoir leaking/ sucking air.
I’m hoping it’s the hoses, they’re pretty crummy.

I'm in and will be there primarily as support. "If" we run out of projects, would appreciate a once over on my new to me FJ40. Primarily leaf spring/shock geometry and York Air pump assessment not working with lockers. Thanks

I'm in and will be there primarily as support. "If" we run out of projects, would appreciate a once over on my new to me FJ40. Primarily leaf spring/shock geometry and York Air pump assessment not working with lockers. Thanks
Easy.

Potential swapping of coils in the rear? For those of you that have set up limiting straps please shed your knowledge.

Right now its running front 80 springs, I've got a set of full brand new 200 suspension on my shelf that I was thinking using the coils off of to make the rear firmer.

My logic is higher weight springs and stiffer shocks along with limiting straps should do the job? That was be able to drive around town and then take the straps off for wheeling.

20200322_130034.jpg

@afgman786 The limiting straps will not do any good on the road. They are so the suspension doesn’t over extend and break parts or spit out springs.
You need a sway bar for the road and sway bar disconnects for off road.
Or drive it and get use to the body role.

@afgman786 The limiting straps will not do any good on the road. They are so the suspension doesn’t over extend and break parts or spit out springs.
You need a sway bar for the road and sway bar disconnects for off road.
Or drive it and get use to the body role.
Spring keepers or inner spring bump stops.
I don't know that he is at risk of losing anything.

Looks like there are spring keepers in there.
Need more info on the issue you are trying to address.
Yes there are spring keepers. My cousin wants to occasionally drive it on the road and potentially to work occasionally when the weather is nice. He knows he bought a trail rig, but we're hoping that the back end can be stiffened up a bit to be able to comfortably drive on country roads for enjoyment.

Also my thought is with how soft the rear end is, he might put himself in a bad situation on the trails compared to having a stiffer suspension in the rear.

Spring keepers or inner spring bump stops.
I don't know that he is at risk of losing anything.
He is not at risk of loosing anything. Simple stating what a limiting strap is there for. It seems to me He want to firm up the wiggle /role that truck has on the street. He is better off installing a sway bar and disconnects.
Are the springs you have the same Length just stiffer? You can always try them out. It would not hurt.

Last edited:
He is not at risk of loosing anything. Simple stating what a limiting strap is there for. It seems to me He want to firm up the wiggle /role that truck has on the street. He is better off installing a sway bar and disconnects.
Are the springs you have the same Length just stiffer? You can always try them out. It would not hurt.

The work for sway bar might be too much right now... was hoping to try the simple things like shocks and coils first. Haven't measured yet, assuming they are similar, if not will get similar length.
Mainly posted my question to see if I was on the right path of digging into a potential solution. Didn't want to look into spring weights, heights, and which shocks are used to try and find similar but stiffer if it wouldn't help fix the problem.

I removed both sway bars on my 80. Not a real issue, unless I'm on twisty mountain roads. Then it feels like I'm on a boat!

I'm used to it.

I removed both sway bars on my 80. Not a real issue, unless I'm on twisty mountain roads. Then it feels like I'm on a boat!

I'm used to it.

a that’s what Bobs old 40 feels like but worse when (A) you are on a tall short wheelbase vehicle and (B) use to driving a modern vehicle.

just turn it hard enough to put it on its side then you know it’s limit!

Yes there are spring keepers. My cousin wants to occasionally drive it on the road and potentially to work occasionally when the weather is nice. He knows he bought a trail rig, but we're hoping that the back end can be stiffened up a bit to be able to comfortably drive on country roads for enjoyment.

Also my thought is with how soft the rear end is, he might put himself in a bad situation on the trails compared to having a stiffer suspension in the rear.
Air bags or stiffer springs. I wouldn't do both shocks and springs I would do springs, see how it rides, then address shocks.

UPDATE: Due to the current circumstances we decided to cancel the April 4th Tech day.

We will reschedule once the gathering limits are lifted.

Better safe than sorry.

UPDATE: Due to the current circumstances we decided to cancel the April 4th Tech day.

We will reschedule once the gathering limits are lifted.

Better safe than sorry.
Good call. I think it is going to get worse before it gets any better.

virtual tech day? everyone just get on a skype call and work in your own garage/driveway haha

That actually doesn't sound like a horrible way to stay connected. There could be beer involved.
Zoom. I did a virtual happy hour with my USNA Rugby brothers on zoom on Saturday. It started at 6pm and we finally shut it down at 11:30.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom