Possible switch from 2000 LC to Tundra- ?cargo space? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We very sadly had an accident with our 2000 Land Cruiser & it is totaled. We are crushed. We were attached to that vehicle AND we were using it for certain parts of our business where we could fit everything we needed, for an event, behind the folded forward second-row seats. We had some totes stacked on each other, some kegs, & heavy things we would load in the side doors. We are considering switching to a Tundra (probably 2024) and would want our cargo protected with a cover. Has anyone switched from a 100 series LC to a Tundra (5.5 foot bed) & found that stuff doesn't fit (like it did in the LC) in the truck bed with a flat tonneau cover? Are you missing the protected height of an SUV? If we got a tall truck topper, we would have to crawl in to pull things from the front to the back, right? In other words, you can't easily load heavy things into the side of the truck bed, right? Should we just buy a used LC? Also wonder with a double cab (CrewMax?) & 5.5 ft bed -if that fits in our garage like the LC did.

Unless you need the bed, maybe look at a 2nd gen Sequoia. It offers a lot of value compared to both the Tundra and Land Cruiser in my opinion.

I have never seen the inside of a Sequoia in person. I've watched a few videos showing the interior. I haven't found one that shows the back cargo space all "open" for hauling stuff back there. The versions I saw had captain seats in 2nd row. Is that an option or do all 2nd gen Sequoias have captain seats? How does that work with having a big flat surface for hauling lots of stuff back there? Do the 3rd row back seats come out or somehow fold flat? We really like the totally flat surface that the LC has behind the folded forward 2nd row.

It's not level to the ground, but approximately on a flat plane that slope up from rear to front. Gen 2 sequoi with middle row bench seat.

New (2023+) sequoia... it's pretty terrible for cargo. Pic at the bottom. That's the best you get. If you need to haul much it's probably not for you.

1701996775419.png

1701996802930.png

If you have the captains chair middle row it looks like this:
1701997470070.png

1701997216681.png

Last edited:
I was heavy on getting a 200 series before I got a Tundra. I was driving a 5th gen 4runner that my wife now drives. I have no regrets with the Tundra and have a tonneau cover on it.

The platinum tundra was thousands cheaper than the Land Cruiser 200 with the same engine and similar technology. Once I upgraded the head unit in the Tundra I am so glad I went that route. It’s like a V8 lazy-boy on the highway and the tonneau cover actually gives me more space without folding seats while still staying dry.

On my previous Tacoma I had every type of topper imaginable. The easiest one to deal with is a standard soft roll up. It does everything needed, stays dry and easy to roll out of the way.

Best part is, the 80 series in the garage Satisfies my obsession.

Get a 2nd Gen Sequoia - even with the captain's chairs there are velcro flat panels that fold out of the captain's seats to make the back a flat enough load space, and there is a LOT of space. The new Sequoia, as mentioned, has a stupid setup due to the battery with even less space. I wanted a Land cruiser but need regular third row use of the "short" side due to 3 kids so having enough cargo space with the seat in use was a priority for me

Are you willing/able to climb into the bed of the truck to retrieve your materials?

Are you willing/able to climb into the bed of the truck to retrieve your materials?
We are able to climb into the bed- but if we add a truck topper (possibility for maximum covered cargo space), I picture many hunched-over climbs to the back of the bed? If we had a tonneau cover instead, how easy is it to slide heavy things forward or backward by reaching in from the side?

We are able to climb into the bed- but if we add a truck topper (possibility for maximum covered cargo space), I picture many hunched-over climbs to the back of the bed? If we had a tonneau cover instead, how easy is it to slide heavy things forward or backward by reaching in from the side?

I'm 5'11" and there is no way in heck I could go over the side of the bed on my 2008 TRD 4X4 Tundra. Bed was at least 36" off ground. And the Bed sides are probably close to 2 feet on top of that.

I'm 5'11" and there is no way in heck I could go over the side of the bed on my 2008 4X4 Tundra. Bed was at least 36" off ground. And the Bed sides are probably close to 2 feet on top of that.
That is really good information to know! I have watched videos of people rolling up tonneau covers & I guess that could be challenging for a shorter person.

Just buy a bed slide. It turns the entire truck bed into a full extension drawer. There are more than one brand, this is just the first from a .0002 second google search.

63134E2E-22F5-4D3D-847A-4F463C83824C.png

D4E3C728-15E5-424B-B18A-AC449F8A3686.png

If you want a very cheap, but surprisingly useful alternative (that's not nearly as nice as a real bed slide), I use a heavy duty cargo sled in my truck bed. And it slides in and out really nicely on the rhino lining, and fits nicely under the bed cover. Plus - it doubles as a sled!! haha.

I had the sled for use as a cargo sled first, but started leaving it in the truck bed and I almost always just use it as an truck cargo slide now. It's not a perfect fit by any means, and if you find two of them that are around 25" wide, they'll both fit side by side between the wheel wells. The spacing is 48.7", but about 1.5 inches of each sled is the side rail that will be higher than the fender well. So you can subtract about 3 inches total from the combined width of the two side by side sleds.

I think I paid about $50 for mine at Cabellas. Might pick up a second when they're on sale at the end of season.

1702341498201.png

If you want a very cheap, but surprisingly useful alternative (that's not nearly as nice as a real bed slide), I use a heavy duty cargo sled in my truck bed. And it slides in and out really nicely on the rhino lining, and fits nicely under the bed cover. Plus - it doubles as a sled!! haha.

I had the sled for use as a cargo sled first, but started leaving it in the truck bed and I almost always just use it as an truck cargo slide now. It's not a perfect fit by any means, and if you find two of them that are around 25" wide, they'll both fit side by side between the wheel wells. The spacing is 48.7", but about 1.5 inches of each sled is the side rail that will be higher than the fender well. So you can subtract about 3 inches total from the combined width of the two side by side sleds.

I think I paid about $50 for mine at Cabellas. Might pick up a second when they're on sale at the end of season.

View attachment 3504883
While this “could” and likely would work, there is nothing to keep these sleds from sliding all over the place, unless you wedge things around it/them (not sure which pronoun to use!). For someone who is packing and unpacking their business goods regularly like the op, you will want predictable and secure stowage. The bed slides are not exactly cheap, but are a deductible business expense in most tax situations, so that could be offset. Same goes for the topper you put on the bed.

While this “could” and likely would work, there is nothing to keep these sleds from sliding all over the place, unless you wedge things around it/them (not sure which pronoun to use!). For someone who is packing and unpacking their business goods regularly like the op, you will want predictable and secure stowage. The bed slides are not exactly cheap, but are a deductible business expense in most tax situations, so that could be offset. Same goes for the topper you put on the bed.
Completely agree. It's not anywhere close to the same quality or functionality as a bed slide. Just a very cheap option depending on what you're carrying to have easy access to cargo you're putting in the bed. The bed slides allow more full use of the bed volume as well.

I think it's functionally more like a drawer system. Mine doesn't slide around much in mine. I think the ribs on the bottom of the sled fit into the formed ribs on the bed? Not sure. I suppose you could get a single one that's as wide as the fender width.
1702414426243.png

I mostly just suggested it as a cheap way to store stuff depending on what you're hauling. For $139 the mini magnum size is 60" long and 45" wide - so it would almost cover the entire bed between the fender wells. And it happens to also nicely capture any spills if it's liquid. And - in a pinch it can also double as a john boat!

For daily use - depending on cargo - I'd buy the deck slide. They're great - especially if you need to load with a forklift it's really nice to have easy access to the loading deck.

@Jetboy I love the idea! I’ve made plenty of drawer systems in my day, but that’s a great idea. Might try to find a Sequoia size one for deer cartage;)

Completely agree. It's not anywhere close to the same quality or functionality as a bed slide. Just a very cheap option depending on what you're carrying to have easy access to cargo you're putting in the bed. The bed slides allow more full use of the bed volume as well.

I think it's functionally more like a drawer system. Mine doesn't slide around much in mine. I think the ribs on the bottom of the sled fit into the formed ribs on the bed? Not sure. I suppose you could get a single one that's as wide as the fender width.
View attachment 3505421

I mostly just suggested it as a cheap way to store stuff depending on what you're hauling. For $139 the mini magnum size is 60" long and 45" wide - so it would almost cover the entire bed between the fender wells. And it happens to also nicely capture any spills if it's liquid. And - in a pinch it can also double as a john boat!

For daily use - depending on cargo - I'd buy the deck slide. They're great - especially if you need to load with a forklift it's really nice to have easy access to the loading deck.
This is a great idea too. We are still waffling about getting another 100 Series Land Cruiser vs. a new Tundra. One of the disadvantages of stuffing the back of the Land Cruiser (or a Sequoia ) is that the floor mats buckle up when we shove stuff into the back. I bet there is a solution that we haven't thought of for that.

This is a great idea too. We are still waffling about getting another 100 Series Land Cruiser vs. a new Tundra. One of the disadvantages of stuffing the back of the Land Cruiser (or a Sequoia ) is that the floor mats buckle up when we shove stuff into the back. I bet there is a solution that we haven't thought of for that.
I don't know how those are vs the 4Runner, but I always found the cargo area a bit annoying in the 4Runner I had because there's about a 3 inch tall step up between the rear cargo area and the folded down middle seat row. Makes everything hang-up there.

Toyota has a solution - a nice sliding cargo tray OEM. It's a $350 option - basically the same price as the all weather floor mats. But it's a factory install situation, not a port option. And it isn't an easy bolt on retrofit (requires basically everything from the middle row back including side panels). Since Toyota won't let us special order, and the one I got didn't end up with it - I didn't have it. I wanted it. Just couldn't get it.

I don't think I'll ever understand Toyota's marketing choices. I was just looking at it again and the "trail side steps" which are just running boards are $600 and the fake rock rail Go Rhino junk is $750, but there are actual frame mount OEM rock rails for $650. And for some reason about 99% of them hit the dealers with the side steps that everyone throws away vs the rock rails that would be both popular and have value to re-sell.

1703872707688.png

I really enjoy the cargo space of my 07 tundra, it the main reason that I did not get another toyota body on frame suv.
It's great for all the stuff you need for extended hunting / fishing trips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom