Pop-up trailer w/ frame mounted rack for ATV (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I ran across this thread while Googling "ATV hauler tent trailer" this evening. There are several different factory made campers that fit the description, but can be sort of costly. And very few of them have enough room for two ATVs & a simple camper for 2 - 4 people. They are either very elaborate, don't hold 2 ATVs, or they store the ATVs inside, where the mud & snow would probably destroy the camper interior.
So I've started building my own. I am starting with a tandem axle trailer frame that I picked up for $500..... with new wheels, tires, & surge brakes. I'll add a 20'x7.5' flat bed, then an 8'x8' Jayco or Flagstaff type tent trailer.
Heres a few pics of similar ATV hauler tent trailers that have caught my eye.
Coleman1.jpg
Coleman2.jpg
Starcraft2.jpg

You could buy and enclosed trailer, built it out how you want it and you still have space to pull quads inside.

The problem I'd have with an enclosed trailer is pulling the quads in after we've been playin in the mud & snow. The mess would destroy the interior of a camper.

Heres a sweet toy hauler. My favorite so far.

080.jpg

2007300.jpg

Just pull doubles. Put a hitch on the rear of a small utility trailer.

Enclosed trailers with both a "living area" and a storage area for the ATVs or snowmachines are very popular here in Alaska. Our toys tend to have just a little snow and myd on them when they come off the trail. The machines do not "destroy" the interior... there is a partition between the area for the people anf the machines.

Mark...

also, this one is made by starcraft. pretty sweet, but the tongue weight gets heavy. claims to hold 2 atv's, but i know 2 grizzly's wouldn't fit. sorry if its off topic, just wasn't sure what it would cost to make one verse finding a used one.
36RT_ext_thm.jpg

Last edited:
not to sound like Debbie downer, you will raise your COG super high, .

Quigley Vans ( the people who do the 4x4 conversions for GM and Ford on the full sided vans) no longer offer a roof rack anymore as some ass thought it was a good idea to put snowmobles (as in more then one) on the roof of a 4x4 van . Lawyers got involved after the Darwin Awards were issued :rolleyes: so no more racks .
I like the other ideas in this post and for finding a pop up just look for rebuldables listed in the salvage dealers for the insurance companies . They total campers for small easy repairs if the units are just a couple years old .

Heres a link to one close by me that would make a great platform to start from ( I was looking at it to part out for the interior (still may)
2000 COLEMAN CHEYENNE by FLEETWOOD POP UP EZFIX in PA:eBay Motors (item 130333391581 end time Oct-05-09 17:57:30 PDT)

How many times per year do you have to remove the tent from the frame to clear out all the accumulated crud, sand and rocks between the bag and frame?

What happens when the tent chafes away the paint/ powder coating inside the frame rails, and the steel starts to rust?

If you don't remove the tent often, it will be full of holes and useless in a few years. That compartment needs solid sides and top. But then you will have moisture/ mildew issues because of the trapped water.

If you don't deck the ATV lid, then all the crud from a day of riding will bounce off on the trip home and cover the tent, and work it's way down to the lower section, where it will accumulate.

I think it's pretty cool looking (if a little too wide), but it would NOT be an easy rig to maintain, long term.

John Davies
Spokane WA
I drove from Yooper's back home to GA with a similar type of material in a similar type of trailer. Rubbed through in 20 hours of driving. Neat idea though.

EDIT: Just watched the video on their site. That is pretty bad ass. The tent comes right out and the trailer becomes a utility trailer NO ICE!!!! I like that thing!

http://www.buylifetime.com/Products/BLT/PID-65013.aspx
$5500

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom