Pop-up trailer w/ frame mounted rack for ATV (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here's my charter: To fabricate a rack that would allow me to haul 1 or 2 quads on top of my tent trailer. I would need to have 4 pillars that attach to the rack and transfer the weight down to the main c-channel frame of my Pop-up trailer. The whole contraption would need to be removable so that I can raise the top and slide the bunk-ends out. I know that I'm asking for problems as far as being top heavy and possible exceeding the gross weight capacity of the trailer but I really like my 80 and don't want to get a pickup.

Originally I was going to extend the tongue of the trailer but this idea would give me so much more loading space.

Anybody ever attempt anything similar to this or have suggestions?

I would think it would be easier to build a new frame with an area to haul the ATVs , do a dual axle trailer, would handle really well with maybe even space for one in front , one in rear, would still pull great with out the ATVs on. How long is it (the camper) all folded up, if short enough could mount it cross ways on a trailer. Just some thoughts!!

It's a 12' box pop-up so mounting it to a flatbed is not an option. I'm trying to keep the cost of this mod as low as possible otherwise I'd sell this trailer and buy one of those really sweet (read expensive) pop-ups with an ATV platform already on the front. My hope was that since it was a larger pop-up that the frame would handle the extra weight. I may just use the rack to haul an aluminum boat or mountain bikes but a single quad and a dirt bike would be ideal capacity.

I have a Starcraft Venture 2406. I pulled it out of the garage and washed and waxed it yesterday to get ready for a trip this weekend and I really don't think the existing frame can handle the additinal weight. I started thinking - if I strengthened the existing frame w/ some additional box-tubing then would it hold up to the extra 500lbs or so?

Maybe I should just suck it up and buy a new Tundra!!

not to sound like Debbie downer, but this seems like an uphill battle. You will max if not exceed the pop up frame, you will raise your COG super high, and the fab work needed to "hope it works" would add up in time and $ quick.

I say sell the pop-up save up the coin to buy the one that is made for the job.

Sorry to rain on your parade, I think it is a cool idea, this is just another $.02

I know it'll probably never come to be realized - I was hoping that someone would chime in with a "I've got a buddy who did that" story.

As far as a Jumping Jack trailer or something like that - I think the loss of a heater, shower and toirlet would be a tough sell w/ my wife.

Just buy the off-road type,I have a starcraft 14rt.It's an 06,I got it last year for 9grand.New they are like 14K.But I financed the sucker,only $100 bucks a month& its really nice,bathroom inside w/shower.Kids& the WIFE are happy! I looked for a long time,I just got tired looking at crappy ones that poepole wanted alot of $$ for.
My kids are little 4 & 8 yrs. old & they love it.I know it will take a long time to pay off,but we are going to use this thing.Life is too short go for it!!
John

You are simply asking for lost cash and a disaster if you try this. Ever wonder why you don't see quads and dirt bikes carried on top of these trailers? Because it would be an engineering nightmare and WAY dangerous on twisting highways. Even if you could beef up the structure enough to carry the weight safely, there is no way the existing running gear will carry and stabilize that much mass above the roof.

I would be surprised if you got 50 miles without wrecking.

Buy a tandem trailer engineered to carry a quad, and make sure it has the largest tires that are available, and shocks. Use a good brake controller like a Jordan.

How bout something like this?

Edit: saw pickup, not 80, my bad.
longbox_sq_deck_640x480.jpg

Last edited:
OK, you all have pretty much convinced me that this is a bad idea. I think I may just focus on a method of mounting a single dirtbike on the tongue of the trailer as I know that has been done before and seems like it would be a low-impact mod.

When I look into the crystal ball, I really see us trading the 'ol 80 in on a Tundra so that we can bring toys along.

Do you tow your Starcraft w/ your 80? If so, how does it do on hills and such? I image you are towing around roughly 4.5 to 5k worth of trailer and toys.....

Yea,I tow w/ my 80.35's & no regear! It does just fine,we are towing about 3k prob. more w/all the crap we bring!.We tow up some steep hills,I live in the Santa Cruz mountains.I try to keep it light,the tent trailer weighs in at about 2700lbs.We just bring mountain bikes,kids bikes,firewood,generator(smalll honda 2000),really all kinds of light stuff fits on the front platform.Just throw it all on there & go! The big test will be this spring/summer towing up to the sierra's,we will be going pretty slow! The trailer is 20' long + the 80= about 36'-38' long total! The trailer sits like 2' high(tounge height)lots of ground clearance.And when towing you can not see over the top of the trailer,it also has one of those ugly AC units on top,we don't use it,but it works good.I also have to take my spare tire off& put it on the platform when towing.Good setup wish I could post up a couple photos,but I don't know how yet(resize) I can send them to someone& they can post up?
John

How many times per year do you have to remove the tent from the frame to clear out all the accumulated crud, sand and rocks between the bag and frame?

What happens when the tent chafes away the paint/ powder coating inside the frame rails, and the steel starts to rust?

If you don't remove the tent often, it will be full of holes and useless in a few years. That compartment needs solid sides and top. But then you will have moisture/ mildew issues because of the trapped water.

If you don't deck the ATV lid, then all the crud from a day of riding will bounce off on the trip home and cover the tent, and work it's way down to the lower section, where it will accumulate.

I think it's pretty cool looking (if a little too wide), but it would NOT be an easy rig to maintain, long term.

John Davies
Spokane WA

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom