Pop top (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ASPW did that with his 79 Troopy. Supah nice. đź‘Ť

He actually pioneered the pop-top with Alu-Cab, it is his design and Alu-Cab made it for him. They make it for Land Rover defender and Toyota Troopy 78 only.
I got a lot of my ideas from researching his videos on YouTube.

Last edited:
I dare say most people wont have the nerve to cut this out of a 80 series
Very nice work on your roof top tent install, but if you don't mind I'd like to add one suggestion. I've seen more then a few photos of 80's that have rolled over, and in all of them one thing always stands out. More often then not, the A,B, and C roof pillars on these trucks seem to crush easily, sometimes almost flat with the top of the doors.

Seeing as you've removed so much material and strength from the roof when you did your mod, For safety reasons I'd be adding an internal roll bar of some type. Just to make sure the roof doesn't completely collapse flat in the event of a roll over. Just my 2 cent's YMMV.

Campteq top is an option, I believe @Thecriscokid is still making them. These pictures are from when I first cut my roof a couple of years ago and made a bed platform.
A8170CC7-6B2A-4443-91DB-A50D5644C82A.jpeg
49F614DE-39EF-46AD-985C-670EBE30F4AE.jpeg
16AB3E56-DB52-4F27-B8C1-21598F642CC8.jpeg
A8170CC7-6B2A-4443-91DB-A50D5644C82A.jpeg
49F614DE-39EF-46AD-985C-670EBE30F4AE.jpeg
16AB3E56-DB52-4F27-B8C1-21598F642CC8.jpeg

Very nice work on your roof top tent install, but if you don't mind I'd like to add one suggestion. I've seen more then a few photos of 80's that have rolled over, and in all of them one thing always stands out. More often then not, the A,B, and C roof pillars on these trucks seem to crush easily, sometimes almost flat with the top of the doors.

Seeing as you've removed so much material and strength from the roof when you did your mod, For safety reasons I'd be adding an internal roll bar of some type. Just to make sure the roof doesn't completely collapse flat in the event of a roll over. Just my 2 cent's YMMV.

I totally agree with this concern, and spent some serious time weighing this out when designing this build. In fact that is why I only did a 3/4 cut as that leaves some of the roof and the larger factory brace to support the sunroof area (B pillar) I even left half of the sunroof tray ( that has a hardened steel core) in place as that supports the roof as well.
The D pillar is still covered by the roof as the cut is inboard at the back, so only the C pillar is compromised. Part of my build is using a very strong Polyurethane sealant to secure the top to the roof, I also used 8 gutter clamps to re-enforce the adapter.
Having said all of this, I am hardly forging new ground as this build has been done many times in Europe and Alu-Cab does the same out of SA with the 78 series that has the exact same pillar setup.
A catastrophic accident can happen to anyone and it is an accepted risk on my part. I do not rock crawl with this vehicle and dont drive it fast off road as that is not what over-landing is to me.

Last edited:
I just saw a new Australian poptop that will be available for the US market soon by a long time AUS poptop builder. Very nicely done a little different from the norm but it has a lift up bed and made to cut your roof. The poptop unit I saw was powder coated to match the LX450 a very nice touch.

For the ultimate DIY guy
Excellent write-up and documentation using 80/20.

I just saw a new Australian poptop that will be available for the US market soon by a long time AUS poptop builder. Very nicely done a little different from the norm but it has a lift up bed and made to cut your roof. The poptop unit I saw was powder coated to match the LX450 a very nice touch.
Phil, any link?

I'm very interested to see this design and if they come in for less than $10K. Australia has a variety of poptop conversion options for troop carriers, and it'd be cool to see some of those reconfigured for the 80.

Its not my venture.
Im sure when the time is right all will know.
The importer is well established in the community.
Any idea on timing? I’m contemplating pulling the trigger on a diy set up but if the Aussie version is designed to my liking I would seriously consider it

I assume you're referring to the Mulgo pop-top's that Dan is now sending over

Sounds like more poptop news Tell more and who is Dan?
Dan owns Expedition Center in Sydney. He has been building very nice pop tops for defenders and troopy’s for a long time. Over the past year or so he came out with an 80 series pop-top. When they first hit the market in Oz Dan was willing to ship over to the states, but didn’t have a US distributor setup. Looks like the first shipment of 80 tops left Oz in early December, on their way to the new US dealer, adventure Imports. Would need to talk to Matt there for pricing and details.

052055D2-95DB-4231-AEFC-28B5A54449CA.jpeg
37C24F9E-8B91-4B3C-95FB-4C0BD6F5F129.jpeg
5C965E11-0C81-4DF3-86C6-03C13ED8F65E.jpeg

Dan owns Expedition Center in Sydney. He has been building very nice pop tops for defenders and troopy’s for a long time. Over the past year or so he came out with an 80 series pop-top. When they first hit the market in Oz Dan was willing to ship over to the states, but didn’t have a US distributor setup. Looks like the first shipment of 80 tops left Oz in early December, on their way to the new US dealer, adventure Imports. Would need to talk to Matt there for pricing and details.

View attachment 2220473View attachment 2220474View attachment 2220475

Super cool more poptops for the USA.
The top I reference is currently in the USA and uses a smooth finish not textured. Not sure on the name of the manufacturer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom