Poor MPG after carb rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi y'all! I have an '81 FJ60 and last summer he started dieseling after I'd turned off the ignition. It only lasted a second or two. Long story short I did the following things trying to remedy it:
*double checked timing
*new spark plugs
* new fuel pump
*ran some BG44 through a tank of gas
*FINALLY I pulled the carb and mostly did a rebuild with a friend. This fixed the dieseling BUT I'm now getting 7.75 average MPG when I was getting 10.5 +/- . That's a pretty big drop and I cannot for the life of me figure out what else the carb could be doing wrong. I'm assuming it's the carb because my MPG were fine before I pulled it. The float is new and I'm confident that it's set to the right distances. I do notice a raw fuel smell in my garage after I park the truck so I'm half wondering if there's a leak. Any ideas or recommendations would be HIGHLY appreciated!
Cheers,
Pokey the Land Cruiser

Clearly something went awry with the carburetor rebuild. Either take it apart again and see if anything is wrong or replace it with a new non usa carb or professionally rebuilt carb.

*FINALLY I pulled the carb and mostly did a rebuild with a friend.

I'm thinking this is the problem, it's not something that can be partly done.
the carb rebuild needs to be done properly, pinhead videos will help or as suggested, send it out to1 of 2 people who can do wonders with the carb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom