Poor Fuel Economy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Negative. This was actually over a net incline, going from the suburbs of Atlanta into the foothills of the Tennessee mountains outside of Chattanooga.

The big thing here was keeping speed between 60-65. We had a Jeep in our group who had to keep speed down because Jeep. I was amazed though, because the truck was carrying an easy extra 500lbs of gear in it.
Calibration error? I just can't believe you got 21 mpg in a 100 series

Calibration error? I just can't believe you got 21 mpg in a 100 series
I agree. He’s clearly lying 🤥:moon:

I mean, if I really wanted to be braggy, I'd have made sure to snap a shot when it was reading over 22mpg. On that trip, I actually watched the average mileage climb on the SG from 9 when we left the parking lot, maneuvered through traffic lights, up to 13 on the highway, then up to 17, and it just kept climbing as we held about 60MPH. I tried coasting quite a bit to get it to finally peek over 22mpg, but that was all I could do.

I've always managed better mileage in my trucks than most people get. It's not uncommon for me to see 340+ miles to a highway tank while most people are puckering their buttholes at 250. Dunno, I'm even an aggressive driver. Barring traffic you won't find me under 75-80MPH. My standard reported mileage is between 15-17mpg (at the scan gauge, not the car's computer).

Yes, my speedometer is corrected for the big tires.

I mean, if I really wanted to be braggy, I'd have made sure to snap a shot when it was reading over 22mpg. On that trip, I actually watched the average mileage climb on the SG from 9 when we left the parking lot, maneuvered through traffic lights, up to 13 on the highway, then up to 17, and it just kept climbing as we held about 60MPH. I tried coasting quite a bit to get it to finally peek over 22mpg, but that was all I could do.

I've always managed better mileage in my trucks than most people get. It's not uncommon for me to see 340+ miles to a highway tank while most people are puckering their buttholes at 250. Dunno, I'm even an aggressive driver. Barring traffic you won't find me under 75-80MPH. My standard reported mileage is between 15-17mpg (at the scan gauge, not the car's computer).

Yes, my speedometer is corrected for the big tires.

I’m impressed!
The best I’ve done is around 17 on the interstate. I average around 13 city 15-16 on the highway. Pretty much stock.

You may have the record @MongooseGA :cheers:
I'd be interest in hard data, as opposed to readouts. Miles/Gallons=MPG, long term. RPM & LTFT & STFT.

I haven't calculated at the pump in a while. Once I determined my SGII was about 95% accurate, I've gone by that.

Worth noting: That is AVERAGE MPG, not instant MPG. I played with the instant MPG read out for a while to get familiar with what maximized the efficiency for my truck. Then I got carried away with it and put in a trans temp code instead.

This is clearly incredible! Congratulations are in order:cheers:

D5C59C60-4486-4C82-B35A-97E40C7134E8.jpeg

Interesting. My 98 has been averaging about 11mpg with mixed city and highway (70/30 or 80/20) so I figured that she was not gonna get great mileage. I am going through and doing a lot of refreshing as she was a driveway ornament for the most part of the PO it seems like.

Running a 1.5" lift, 285/75r16s in load E with 38psi front and 40psi rear. Sliders are the only "armor" to speak of at this point, no aftermarket bumpers, roof rack, etc. Plugs looked in decent shape for me, air filter was clean, so now it is just going through and chasing different things while I fix other items. Not a huge deal to me but still would like to avg. closer to 13-14 if possible.

Gregnash,

Your tire psi seem quite low to me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming that you're running LTs. If that's so, you'll definitely experience lower fuel mileage at 38 and 40 psi. The recommended tire pressure for those tires on the Cruiser would be 45.

So here is my calculation via Fuelly app on my phone, note there are no corrections for larger tire size or anything.

4C627AF7-C085-470F-9A16-8150A8530A17.png

@mkntrds I am running Load E rated tires.
@MongooseGA How are you running the corrected speedo? I know I have seen something on this but can't remember where at? It's a blackbox that has to be installed correct? Your readings via the ScanGauge are making me want one more and more. Anyone know if the MPG ratings will be an available setting for a Pre-02 truck seeing as there was not output for that?

Gregnash,

I, too, run load E. I miscalculated your size; the recommended tire pressure for your 285s is 38 to 40. I wonder if it has more to do with your tread and extra section width. Are they highway or ATs?

Gregnash,

I, too, run load E. I miscalculated your size; the recommended tire pressure for your 285s is 38 to 40. I wonder if it has more to do with your tread and extra section width. Are they highway or ATs?
They are AT (Falken WildPeak AT3W) so heavier and larger than normal. I am still in the process of going through and doing a good baseline on the truck so there are lots of factors that I am sure are playing into it. I try not to let her idle for more than about 5 minutes in the morning prior to leaving for work. Most of my DD is just to work and back, which is on average of about 11 miles per day, so lots of stop and go traffic under 40mph. I know that doesn't help things, which is why I normally ride my bike to work in the warmer months.

Negative. This was actually over a net incline, going from the suburbs of Atlanta into the foothills of the Tennessee mountains outside of Chattanooga.

The big thing here was keeping speed between 60-65. We had a Jeep in our group who had to keep speed down because Jeep. I was amazed though, because the truck was carrying an easy extra 500lbs of gear in it.

Anything to do with 81SB? I have averaged my highest on 81SB, from NoVA to TN/Pigeon Forge as well.

Anything to do with 81SB? I have averaged my highest on 81SB, from NoVA to TN/Pigeon Forge as well.

This was straight I75N.

Interestingly, @sammybones mentioned seeing as high as 17 mpg on the same drive. We were both seeing pretty good figures relative to our normal.

@MongooseGA How are you running the corrected speedo? I know I have seen something on this but can't remember where at? It's a blackbox that has to be installed correct? Your readings via the ScanGauge are making me want one more and more. Anyone know if the MPG ratings will be an available setting for a Pre-02 truck seeing as there was not output for that?

I use a yellowbox module. Admittedly, it's still a percent or two off, but in the other direction. When speedo shows 70, actual speed is more like 68/69.

SG is definitely worth having. You're going to go nuts monitoring any and every change in water temp at first, but after a while it fades. I only check it (in the overhead console with the part from @BenCC ) when necessary.

I use a yellowbox module. Admittedly, it's still a percent or two off, but in the other direction. When speedo shows 70, actual speed is more like 68/69.
Yellowbox module?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom