Poor Comptession, Multiple missfires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I posted this on the GX470 board but they suggested I also post it here because of the deeper knowledge base of the 2uzfe motor...
Okay, so my mechanic friend was helping me with my 2006 GX470 (190k mi). We agreed that he would do the CV axles and that was fine. I needed the water pump (leaking a lot) and timing belt (way past due) changed. He suggested that we tear it down to the head gasket and get the heads cleaned up. I agreed and now I am wishing I hadn't. We ran into one issue after another with wrong sized hardware, the machine shop losing a piece and a number of other minor setbacks. Well, he finally gets it together and fires it up for the first time and it is misfiring a ton. He did a compression test and the right side all was nice and strong (160+/-). The left side however, 0, 0, 30 and 120. Brand new head gasket torqued down to factory specs. The head was pressure tested and the valve seats were done and everything was cleaned up. I am at a loss as to what the issue might be. I am adding pictures of the timing belt and want to know if that looks right. I really don't want to rebuild the head if I can afford it. I suppose it could be burnt valves, but I would have thought the machine shop would have caught that.
Please take a look at these pictures and let me know if you think the timing is off. I suspect that if it is, the valves may have been bent but it seems odd that it would only do that on one side. Any ideas would be appreciated as I really want my truck back!

IMG_4447 (1).jpg

IMG_4448 (1).jpg

IMG_4449 (1).jpg

Verify the cams are timed correctly with the crank. Set the motor to TDC (0 degrees advanced) and note the position of the cam gears. Take a picture and share it here. Remember, the timing belt marks do not stay "in time" once the motor turns over.

Last edited:
Verify the cams are timed correctly with the crank. Set the motor to TDC (0 degrees advanced) and note the position of the cam gears. Take a picture and share it here. Remember, the timing belt marks do not stay "in time" once the motor turns over.
Thanks. He is out of town until Monday but we will crank it around and give it a try then.

This photo is from when the belt was originally installed. I will have him move it back to TDC and snap a new photo. Thanks.

IMG_20240326_122551.jpg

you need a new "mechanic friend" lol

Infections after elective surgerys are not uncommon.

The initial photo looks the two cams are in correct settings. Not sure how the crank looks like. I am sorry to say this your mechanic friend is not your friend.

Crank timing looks good. If all are timed, then valves should open and close accordingly. A too large spacer/shim may keep the valve still open when it supposed to be fully closed. Check the cylinders with low compression with a camera to ensure no damages to piston or any valve-piston strike.

Just a though, did he accidently installed wrong cams in wrong banks? or is it even possible? Also note, the VVTi cams can be separated into two pieces and must be reinstalled properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom