1998 2UZFE death rattle? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I come asking for help today. I have searched the internet and mud and have not been able to find anything like what I'm dealing with.

1998 Toyota Land Cruiser UZJ100 2UZFE 4.7L - 291K miles. Fluid levels all fine. Sat for a month, fired it up, and this is the sound it makes. Sound matches RPM. I pulled the serpentine belt off and the sound remains. I have not checked the timing belt pulleys if that makes a difference. Anyone have any insight on this?

YouTube link:

Link here: Is she toast?

Any help is appreciated!

cruiser.jpg

I would check timing belt/water pump pulleys and also spark plugs. The sound doesn't sound too serious.

Timing belt is done. I'm wondering if it was actual belt failure or if the belt failed due to a secondary problem. And I know these are interference engines so wonder if the belt jumped on the gears and did any valve damage. Thoughts?

20240307_151808.jpg

20240307_153213.jpg

Did it snap while running? It's a non VVTi engine so you should be ok.
Replaced everything while you are there, get an Aisin kit. Replaced tensioner and pulley for the serp. belt and the fan bracket.

Did it snap while running? It's a non VVTi engine so you should be ok.
Replaced everything while you are there, get an Aisin kit. Replaced tensioner and pulley for the serp. belt and the fan bracket.
I pulled intake off as rexington14 suggested, cranked it up, it ran for 3 seconds, and it shut off. Definitely snapped while running.

It's a non-vvti motor so there is a good chance it is okay. I would throw an Aisin timing belt kit on it and hope for the best.

Yikes! How old / how many miles since the last timing belt & water pump job? Once you get a new TB kit installed I will be curious if your noise is gone or if it was unrelated.

It does sound a bit like the throttle motor/clutch.
Can you unplug those and see if the sound goes away?

Where is your PCV hose? It looks blocked off at the throttle body.

EDIT: Wait, did the belt snap while chasing the noise? Or did the belt brake in the past, was replaced, and now it makes the noise?

I pulled intake off as rexington14 suggested, cranked it up, it ran for 3 seconds, and it shut off. Definitely snapped while running.
Throw a belt on it and fire it up, you can run it for about a minute and see if you still hear your noise. My guess is the belt was coming apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom