Poll: What year is your rig? (1 Viewer)

What year is your rig?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NorCalDoug said:
There's no opportunity to vote a 2nd time. When the poll was originally displayed, there was no opportunity to vote twice for the same model year.

Flawed poll :rolleyes:

The multiple votes feature allows someone to pick more than 1 when they first vote -- not after the fact.

well, have not tried myself to vote 2x cuz I got only one and didn't want to skew results.

Yes, voting twice for the same year may not be possible. Send your poll software complaints to Woody, please. Heck, to Junk too, while you're at it, just for the fun of it! :D

but I added a note in the original message to suggest people vote for more than once the first time. That's for those who can't figure out what year they have, and need some time... :D

I'll add another note about the same year biz.

(Leave it to a Prez candidate to argue about voting rules...! :D )

RavenTai said:
we have already had several.

there is this one, but not really very "filling"

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=8111&page=2&highlight=poll+locker

didnt' see anything else better.
If there isn't we should just start one of those too, what the heck....

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder what the correlation is with the 94 and 97 model years being slightly higher compared to others. Of the 93/94 style, why 94? And the same for 95-97, why 97? I'm guessing since most of us bought used, it wasn't anything to do with buying before a design change, etc.

e9999 said:
sorry, this was intended as a US model poll. We don't want to think about all the great diesel rigs out there in the rest of the world...!

Your making me feel all left out barrr :crybaby: better remove my 1994 HDJ80 1HD-T VX from the poll then :doh: :grinpimp:

FZJFillmore said:
I wonder what the correlation is with the 94 and 97 model years being slightly higher compared to others. Of the 93/94 style, why 94? And the same for 95-97, why 97? I'm guessing since most of us bought used, it wasn't anything to do with buying before a design change, etc.

Well 94 is the last year before airbags, and 97 was the last year. Apparently no one cares the 92 was the last year of the 3FE.

I know I bought a 97 because it was the last of the 80's.

Gold Finger said:
Your making me feel all left out barrr :crybaby: better remove my 1994 HDJ80 1HD-T VX from the poll then :doh: :grinpimp:

darn! leave it to the Brits to muck things up! Soon, we gonna hear that the Canucks voted too...? :D
you guys gotta learn where your place is in the new Global World...! :D :D :D :D :D

Darwood said:
Well 94 is the last year before airbags, and 97 was the last year. Apparently no one cares the 92 was the last year of the 3FE.

I know I bought a 97 because it was the last of the 80's.

But both 93 and 94 didn't have airbags, so why 94? And according to Dan's numbers, no one year had grossly higher production to sway the availability. Are we just picking which style we want and then trying for the latest year in the style when buying?

I'm guessing the 92 guys are just too embarrassed to admit to it... :D

FZJFillmore said:
But both 93 and 94 didn't have airbags, so why 94? And according to Dan's numbers, no one year had grossly higher production to sway the availability. Are we just picking which style we want and then trying for the latest year in the style when buying?

was the case for me. Lowest mileage possible / newest production!

FZJFillmore said:

Could be. Also, `94 had R134 A/C, thicker driveplates (like the newer trucks) but still had the Mighty Tranny (tm) and the Super Cool Radiator (tm). :flipoff2:

e9999 said:
sadly, it's pretty obvious nobody wants a 92. All the quirks of the 91 without the novelty factor... :D

Actually, the 92's have a much nicer armrest/center console between the front two seats than the unit that come stock on the 91's.

The easiest way to identify a 91 versus a 92 is to look in the front window for a padded center armrest that came stock on the 92's.

White Shark said:
Actually, the 92's have a much nicer armrest/center console between the front two seats than the unit that come stock on the 91's.

The easiest way to identify a 91 versus a 92 is to look in the front window for a padded center armrest that came stock on the 92's.

a *padded* armrest, eh....? oooookaaaaay..... :D

talking about padding, I like my thread!

I really like it! :D :D :D

White Shark said:

????
Never seen a stock console padded armrest on a 92. I've seen 94's both ways, with and without, but the 94's that had them I was told were added at the import docks with the leather package that was added at the docks (that's just what I was told, do they add leather at the docks?).

In the individual model years, did the percentage of factory lockers remain the same? This group is likely biased towards buying vehicles with lockers. If one year's production had a lower percentage of lockers, it might reflect that in this poll.

I can see the reasons for the poor showing of the '91 and '92 being a combination of the engine and lack of lockers.

rgsiii said:
In the individual model years, did the percentage of factory lockers remain the same? This group is likely biased towards buying vehicles with lockers. If one year's production had a lower percentage of lockers, it might reflect that in this poll.

I can see the reasons for the poor showing of the '91 and '92 being a combination of the engine and lack of lockers.

Maybe, but take into consideration that in this poll, the 91's are not far behind the 95's. But in actual sales, the there were almost as many 95's sold as 91 and 92 combined. So your theory would hold true towards the 95's as well, did that year see a small amount of lockers?

Also keep in mind that the 91 and 92 years were the least produced, so I'd say they are doing well in this poll... Hey we are the black sheep even in the 3FE community since most hard-core 3FE'rs are FJ62 owners. :rolleyes:

well, things have stabilized now...

I guess the interesting findings for me are:

- how few -relatively speaking- 92s and 96LXs, espc. the latter.
- the large number of 94s and smaller number of 95s. Personally I would talke a 95 over the 94s, mostly because of the airbags. I guess I must be in the minority.
- and didn't realize that 97s would be so prevalent.

Neat!

BTT
would be good to correlate with the HG poll, but that's another story...

btt

Land Speeder said:
????
Never seen a stock console padded armrest on a 92. I've seen 94's both ways, with and without, but the 94's that had them I was told were added at the import docks with the leather package that was added at the docks (that's just what I was told, do they add leather at the docks?).

If a 94 has a padded center console armrest it was done at the factory. If it has leather and no padded center console the leather was added at the port.

You can spot 91-92 by the narrow flares and shorter mudflaps with the white LC lettering on the rears. You can spot a 93 because it has longer mudflaps with white lettering on them and still says Toyota on the grill. 94 still says Toyota on the grill, has the longer flaps, but no white lettering on the flaps. Dunno how to tell 95-97 apart from the outside.

btt for newbs...

and again...

It's pretty simple. Despite claims that the 80 series will go forever, and you should really be buying based on mileage and condition and not model year, people can't help but think that that last year of a particular design, which is 1994 and 1997 in case this, are the best.

If you aren't going to get a '97....then isn't the '94 the best? '94's are way better than 95's or 96's.

What this limited data set tells me is that the 95/96 may be your value buy as these rigs begin to move into the fourwheeling community...and you may pay a modest premium to get into a 94 or 97.

Nay

Nay said:
If you aren't going to get a '97....then isn't the '94 the best? '94's are way better than 95's or 96's.

What this limited data set tells me is that the 95/96 may be your value buy as these rigs begin to move into the fourwheeling community...and you may pay a modest premium to get into a 94 or 97.

Nay

Nay, how are 94s "way better" than 95-96s? 93-94s have the more problem-prone tranny (with many flaring and solenoid probs reported on this forum), no airbags, less C-pillar structural suppport, what else?

As for paying a premium to get a 94 or 97, I can see paying a premium to get a 97 because it was the last US model year of the 80, but I don't think any seller would ask a premium for a 94 unless he was a cruiserhead. The average soccer-mom owner won't know the difference.

Last edited:
alaskacruiser said:
Nay, how are 94s "way better" than 95-96s? 93-94s have the more problem-prone tranny (with many flaring and solenoid probs reported on this forum), no airbags, less C-pillar structural suppport, what else?

As for paying a premium to get a 94 or 97, I can see paying a premium to get a 97 because it was the last US model year of the 80, but I don't think any seller would ask a premium for a 94 unless he was a cruiserhead. The average soccer-mom owner won't know the difference.

I was kidding...but it does seem to be the mentality of the offroad crowd that if you aren't getting a '97 then the '94 is the way to go (and that is what the stats tell you here).

I am buying a '95 because it has 104K miles and was obsessively maintained. It has the basic mods (OME, Slee sliders, and others) and factory lockers for about the price of a '97 with 20-30K more miles (and likely no lockers). '97's are overpriced, at least in Colorado.

Nay

Last edited:
ttt for new owners

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom