Poll - paint colour combo (1 Viewer)

Will use of Jeep Gladiator Sting-Gray (aka Chrysler Destroyer) paint on my Maroon Red 80 . . .

• Look good

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Look Sting-Ghay ( its a Jeep thing)

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Forever doom my head gasket

• Look awesome

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Who cares . . .

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Ughh! Pass the eye bleach!!

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mudgudgeon

Resident galah
SILVER Star
Threads
I have a Maroon Red 80. It has the typical clear coat failure on the roof and hood.

It has busted OEM fender flares that I need to repair and replace before getting the vehicle roadworthy inspected for registration.

I have sourced some decent used OEM flares, but they still need some touching up.

I'm thinking of painting the flares (and eventually the hood and roof too) with Upol Raptor liner in an airless spray gun.

I don't want to use black, and if I paint one flare black, I have to paint them all anyway so they match.

I'm thinking a cement gray could look good against the red paint.

I like Nardo Gray (Audi) but it has a blue tone that I don't think will work with the Maroon.

Toyota does a cement gray, but I think it's a little blue too.

Recently noticed a Je . . . Jeh . . . Jer . . . Jeep!! Gladiator in Sting Gray and thought it could be a good color choice to use on flares, hood, roof.

I have OEM steel wheels that I was thinking of painting a dark bronze. I like the bronze with the red, and think the red, grey, bronze would work together.

This cruiser will never be a show pony. It has pin stripes and dents, but I like it to look respectable.

Vote or comment.

Tell if I'm stupid :lol: :lol:

Part of my thoughts on a lighter cement grey is for the roof and hood, it will reduce heat absorption versus a darker colour.

My cruiser before the paint failed
IMG_20180410_170216.jpg

Jeep in Sting Gray with bronze wheels
th-4200135458.jpg
th-2399696224.jpg

Toyota Cement Gray
th-1794905468.jpg
th-3318635048.jpg

Nardo Gray
th-2688392198.jpg
th-1763869040.jpg

That's a very cool toned flat gray and I feel like it will clash with bronze wheels and metallic burgundy paint.

But there's a rusted out camo green yee yee mobile in my driveway, so obviously I don't get to have a say.

The reason the red works on the yeeps is it is a bright accent and not all over.

Just wait til you're here and we can raptor liner all the vehicles black. 😆 I still have that tintable kit in the shed.

Too many light gray cars around today. Keep the red, or factory dark gray. If it has to be a lighter gray, i'd go ral 7033.

Just my opinion. I wanted to paint my 80 a similar color, but somehow every newer car is done in the same tone.

I'll never be painting the entire car.

Flares are a little unavoidable due to damage repairs needed.
Aussie 80s mostly had black flares. I'd like to go away from that, but don't want body color.

Roof and hood will be a contrasting colour. Not gonna attempt to match the factory red metalic.

Hood and roof will be painted to prevent rusting. I'll be using a paler colour of some sort.
Coming from Aussie summers, can tell you with certainty, paint colour makes a difference in heat absorption into the vehicle.

Again, won't attempt to match a 30 year old metallic.

Won't do black, ever.

I vote for the Gray.
I think it would look good on the roof and flares.
I did the roof for the same reasons you speak of failing clear coat and a light color To reduce heat absorption.
My hood had the same clear coat fail but I chose to rattle can it on my dirt drive way with color match paint from automotivetouchup. com ( You guys must have something similar) the color match is pretty dam good and Looks way better the it did with the failing clear coat.
I'm not sure how it would look with the hood Gray but that's just me.

Like yours my truck is no show rig but I like it to look good !
Thanks for the kind words

FWIW, Asheville has never seen a summer, at least not in recent memory.

I also would try and color match the greyish silver from the side trim. I too have a burgundy LC and am playing with the idea of de-flaring it and painting the top half (using the body line as the cutoff as it will cover the areas that have degraded clearcoat) a darker grey (match the factory lower panel color). I also plan on painting the bumpers, factory wheels and future sliders the same color.

Rhino line (or whatever the brand it called in your area) the truck over a weekend and keep driving it hard

1694117567012.png

Here is a maroon body and dark gray/silver bumpers with bronze wheels (pic stolen) so you can see a similar combo. Note that some of bed liners are very hard to clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom