Please school me on tracing circuits (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have you checked to make sure the switches are not tied to the receptacles that seem to be inoperable? Our house was built in the early 80's, and it turned out that almost every room had a switched outlet (I assume for a lamp?).
Rooms without an overhead light need a switched outlet. Not sure when that became code. Also note that it can be only one of the two receptacles that is switched, leaving one of them always live like normal.

That's one of the issues with those circuit finders. If wires are too close together - and particularly if they're wrapped around each other - that can influence the readings.

How old is the house - or the panel if it has been updated? There should be an inspection sticker on the panel showing when it was approved for service.

Like @WarDamnEagle asks, did you pull the cover? I'd be somewhat surprised if there are a bunch of breakers just sitting in the panel that aren't wired to anything. If there are wires from the breakers going out somewhere and you can't figure out where, it would be best to keep those breakers off until you (or an electrician) can verify where those wires are going.

I'd definitely call in an electrician with what you're saying about the generator. It sounds like it is good that there isn't one currently. Without a proper transfer switch, you can potentially backfeed into the grid. If you’re using a generator without a proper transfer switch and the main power comes back on, there are then two sources feeding your home. This surge can cause problems in the line, which may put utility workers at risk. It can also potentially cause a fire in your home.

Rooms without an overhead light need a switched outlet. Not sure when that became code. Also note that it can be only one of the two receptacles that is switched, leaving one of them always live like normal.
Thanks. We have overhead lights in all rooms. So far I have only found one switched outlet and that is one that my alarm clock is plugged into. It's behind our bed so it hard to get to, but I'm sure I tried both outlets and both are switched...

That's one of the issues with those circuit finders. If wires are too close together - and particularly if they're wrapped around each other - that can influence the readings.

How old is the house - or the panel if it has been updated? There should be an inspection sticker on the panel showing when it was approved for service.

Like @WarDamnEagle asks, did you pull the cover? I'd be somewhat surprised if there are a bunch of breakers just sitting in the panel that aren't wired to anything. If there are wires from the breakers going out somewhere and you can't figure out where, it would be best to keep those breakers off until you (or an electrician) can verify where those wires are going.

I'd definitely call in an electrician with what you're saying about the generator. It sounds like it is good that there isn't one currently. Without a proper transfer switch, you can potentially backfeed into the grid. If you’re using a generator without a proper transfer switch and the main power comes back on, there are then two sources feeding your home. This surge can cause problems in the line, which may put utility workers at risk. It can also potentially cause a fire in your home.
Thanks. The house was build in the mid-1970's. We know it was remodeled in 2019. I think this is the time the back of the house was extended to make a larger kitchen and add another room (office/library). There was also a sunken living room that was "filled in". There was also some work done in 2022 just before we purchased the house, but I think this was mostly exterior landscaping and maybe some paint, etc. inside.

There are two sub panels and one of the sub panels is wired to be powered from a generator. But from the names on the existing breakers, I think the second panel may have been added prior to the 2019 remodel. I don't see any inspection stickers on the panels. Later today I'll pull the covers off and see if the unused breakers are unwired or not...Thanks for your help.

The things I see in "remodel" jobs these days... Particularly when permits aren't pulled or inspections done... :rolleyes:

I'd start by pulling the covers to see what more you can figure out. There is a chance that they disconnected things and just left the breakers there rather than fill the holes in the panel (I've seen open holes in panels too - obviously, against code), but I'm somewhat guessing they just terminated the wires out in the house somewhere. With luck, they capped the wires with wire nuts in a junction box or switch/receptacle box but I wouldn't count on it.

Thanks. Just a quick update. I removed the cover plates from both sub-panels. Panel A has two breakers without any wires and Panel B has five (this includes the 50A 220V breakers). I turned off those breakers that don't have wires. That leaves me with six unidentified breakers on Panel A and one on Panel B. I'm going out of town tomorrow, and when I get back I will continue the investigation.

1686767691144.png

1686767733567.png

FWIW, with that Klein breaker finder, I've seen vids that suggest that it helps to go over the panel a couple of times back and forth before trying for a specific breaker location. Supposedly, the tool "learns and becomes more differentiating" or something like that... Don't know if that is true or another urban myth. Instructions should tell. But can't hurt to try. Somebody confirm if true, please.

FWIW, with that Klein breaker finder, I've seen vids that suggest that it helps to go over the panel a couple of times back and forth before trying for a specific breaker location. Supposedly, the tool "learns and becomes more differentiating" or something like that... Don't know if that is true or another urban myth. Instructions should tell. But can't hurt to try. Somebody confirm if true, please.
The instructions do describe how the unit “learns” the panel. It made a little difference but not much. I still had breakers that would always be identified regardless which outlet I plugged the transmitter into.

thanks. Cheap electronics just keep amazing me. Still not that smart, though, if there is ambiguity...

Panel A has two breakers without any wires and Panel B has five (this includes the 50A 220V breakers). I turned off those breakers that don't have wires.
Breakers without wires are likely safer than wires leading either to someplace unknown or to disconnected ends...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom