Please help! Bj40 starts and dies in 4 seconds with white smoke (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got a 1977 bj40 with a stock B engine. When I got it, it started but was releasing white smoke, it drove , but I noticed it was underpowered, even beyond what I was told I should expect for a bj40. Top speed is like 40. 50 going downhill. I drove it a second time and was very concerned when it almost came to complete stop going up incline. 3rd time I drove it, it died and I had to tow it home. I replaced the battery, and now it starts and dies in 4 seconds. Even when I try to rev it it will still die and it releases white smoke when revving. After it dies, I can hear a deflating sound, like a pool toy being deflated. I have a video. Any ideas on what it might be would be very much appreciated. Please help.

Had it been sitting for a long time prior to you getting it running?

Quits after approx 4 seconds means edic is shutting off fuel because of low oil pressure. Safety to stop the engine from destroying itself.
White smoke means unburned diesel fuel. Does the glow light/coil glow when you push the glow button?

Not sure what the deflating pool toy sound is?

Quits after approx 4 seconds means edic is shutting off fuel because of low oil pressure. Safety to stop the engine from destroying itself.
White smoke means unburned diesel fuel. Does the glow light/coil glow when you push the glow button?

Not sure what the deflating pool toy sound is?

Thanks for response. The glow light is working properly. The sound is like a hissing sound.

Had it been sitting for a long time prior to you getting it running?

Somewhat. Seller didnt use it much but it seemed like he was very good about maintenance. I had a company go and inspect and test drive prior to buying. They said it worked well. It was at least working the first two times I used it, albeit underpowered, even by bj40 standards

Could the hissing sound be electrical? You need to get someone to listen and look to try and pinpoint.

I ,first, would try and figure out why the EDIC is shutting off the engine. I assume it has an EDIC? Does the key shut off the engine or is there a lever you pull?
Like I said the EDIC is shutting the engine down, typically, because of low oil pressure. It could also be continuously over injecting, start mode, which may be the cause for the unburned fuel and white smoke.

I just got a 1977 bj40 with a stock B engine. When I got it, it started but was releasing white smoke, it drove , but I noticed it was underpowered, even beyond what I was told I should expect for a bj40. Top speed is like 40. 50 going downhill. I drove it a second time and was very concerned when it almost came to complete stop going up incline. 3rd time I drove it, it died and I had to tow it home. I replaced the battery, and now it starts and dies in 4 seconds. Even when I try to rev it it will still die and it releases white smoke when revving. After it dies, I can hear a deflating sound, like a pool toy being deflated. I have a video. Any ideas on what it might be would be very much appreciated. Please help.

So whats it like on a cold start? How many klms has it done?
Have the filters been checked/replaced?
I would do 2 things
1 get it compression tested
2 get someone to look at the injection system or get a manual and run through the troubleshooter yourself

That hissing sound could be compression gases escaping through the valves as the engine comes to a stop
Be prepared to spend money, this engine is 42 years old.

Check to see that the wire is still attached to the oil pressure sending unit. There's 2 of them if your engine has an EDIC. One is for the dash gauge and the other is for the EDIC. I don't recall how the EDIC reacts if the wire is disconnected. I'ts been a long time since I've had to deal with this particular issue. The timing of the shutdown is what's making it appear to be EDIC/oil pressure related.

If the wire is disconencted, it might shut the engine down. ( Or maybe you need to disconnect it if the pressure switch is defective.) It's an easy thing to check. There will be a slip-on black plastic connector at the end of a single wire connected to what appears to be a sending unit.

If you're able to diagnose the problem by defeating the pressure switch do not leave it that way. It's a very important safety feature. It can keep your engine from running in the opposite rotation.

If the oil pressure sensing wire for the EDIC is disconnected then the EDIC will not shut down the engine if the oil pressure fails. It will shut the engine down if it is grounded, when oil pressure builds it becomes an open circuit. If oil pressure does not build it remains grounded and shuts off the engine.

EDIC system function is tested by having engine running and disconnecting the wire and grounding it out. If all is well during the test the engine will be shut down by the EDIC.

Check the dipstick, does it smell like anti-freeze? the first thing i would always do is take a jug of clean diesel and run it straight to the injection pump. Eliminate the possibility of dirt or air in the fuel system.

I had an old 83 Pickup with a 22r that made a hissing once... pinhole leak in a coolant hose :doh:. Sounds like you may have a combination of glowplug and EDIC issues. Is the wiring butchered?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom