Not Your Average White Smoke Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A bit odd. Air in fuel usually shows up on low-mid RPM acceleration when that's a high demand for fuel

I agree check the timing.

Also, have you used a clear hose to verify you don't have air in the fuel?
Have you replaced ALL rubber fuel lines?

So common to have air getting sucked in to the fuel lines with no visual sign of a fuel leak. Only takes a small split at a hose end, or a loose clamp on a hardened rubber hose that's been disconnected/ reconnected and is to hard to clamp down tight anymore

Double & triple check the simple stuff

I couldn't get my gauge to fit on the back of the pump without a ton of work. So I bumped the pump over 2 degrees or so. I bumped the fuel screw up a tiny little bit as the throttle was still lagging. It seems to have helped a ton, but still not perfect as far as smoke goes.

A bit odd. Air in fuel usually shows up on low-mid RPM acceleration when that's a high demand for fuel

I agree check the timing.

Also, have you used a clear hose to verify you don't have air in the fuel?
Have you replaced ALL rubber fuel lines?

So common to have air getting sucked in to the fuel lines with no visual sign of a fuel leak. Only takes a small split at a hose end, or a loose clamp on a hardened rubber hose that's been disconnected/ reconnected and is to hard to clamp down tight anymore

Double & triple check the simple stuff
Checked and bumped timing a little bit today. I am dropping the fuel tank tonight… I’ll run new hosing and run a clear tube to the IP to look for air bubbles. Great thinking!

I'm with Muddy-G... Air sounds a lot like it could be the issue. I fought white smoke for a year or so. Ended up being the metal fuel pickup at the tank that had developed a tiny crack and pulled air as it cooled. Clear fuel line to the pump was the best diagnostic tool ever... In the meantime I replaced every rubber fuel line and clamp too. Smoke free now, even on winter cold starts.

I'm with Muddy-G... Air sounds a lot like it could be the issue. I fought white smoke for a year or so. Ended up being the metal fuel pickup at the tank that had developed a tiny crack and pulled air as it cooled. Clear fuel line to the pump was the best diagnostic tool ever... In the meantime I replaced every rubber fuel line and clamp too. Smoke free now, even on winter cold starts.

Thanks for sharing this! I actually pulled my fuel tank the other evening. Im going to go through every single line from inside the tank and up to the IP when I reinstall, ideally with a bigger fuel tank. 10 gallons isn’t enough!

I would also feed the injection pump out of a can of some sort excluding even the filter. Using gravity feed, new transparent hoses and a normal inline filter it should eliminate all those possible issues.
I still think it is timing related though. You could find a piezo triggered timing light and see how the timing actually sits and advances in normal running conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom