Blue Smoke on starting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a ton of blue smoke when I start my 75' Hj45. Stalls out and I start it again...takes a while for it to settle down and smooth out...runs fine after about 10-15 minutes.
Injectors? Fuel pump? Any suggestions on where to begin?

Stem seals leaking overnight?

Does the smoke smell like burning oil or poorly burned diesel?

Maybe check glow plugs...

I'm actually going through this in my 80s...

does the situation get better when manually priming the pump?

so I sprayed brake clean on the outside of the pump then blew it with air to make sure it was dry... I was idling for a bit and noticed some fuel seepage from a few locations.

1. hose from manual prime to pump
2. The banjo bolt was leaking from the inlet hose
3. The fuel cut-off solenoid is leaking
4. HEAD SUB-ASSY, DISTRIBUTIVE PUMP

Are fuel and air filters clean?
Fuel hoses in good condition?

Does the smoke smell like burning oil or poorly burned diesel?

Agreed, this is your biggest clue.

If smoke stinks of raw diesel, this suggests you may be getting air into the fuel hoses. Smoke is more likely to be white ish.
Check all hoses from tank to fuel pump are fresh, not hard or cracked.
Check fuel filter is securely screwed on, check o rings on fuel filter.
You can use clear hose to verify if there's air getting into the fuel. Heaps of threads here about this or stuttering, rough idle etc.

if smoke smells like burnt engine oil, and is blue, then it could be worn valve stem seals, or worn oil rings that expand and seal better once warmed up.

If smoke smells like diesel soot ( not raw diesel) and is black, you probably just have or combustion due to engine being cold. Lower compression could contribute to this. Or bad injectors injecting poorly attomised fuel.

Does cycling the glow plugs two or three times before starting make any difference ( get more residual heat into them before starting ).

Thanks all for the recommendationss..it is better if I cycle the glow plugs 2 or 3 times...I'll go through a check of all the recommendations and see where they lead me.

Thanks all for the recommendationss..it is better if I cycle the glow plugs 2 or 3 times...I'll go through a check of all the recommendations and see where they lead me.
I don't think you should be needing to.

after adressing the possible air in diesel lines issue, valve stem seals are a good candidate

has anyone noticed that running PS power service? or does a similar diesel injector cleaner additive cause smoke too? maybe too much injector cleaner????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom