pitman arm application (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gumby,

I cannot verify taper but the pitman I used is 7" and uses a 1 1/8 shaft. IIRC I robbed it from a 69-70 wagoneer. If you're not in a hurry I will be going to my shop this weekend and believe I have another one I can measure.

Is any amount of drop ok?

Rice

waggy, 1" drop i think it is 6.75 long p to p

f250 runs same arm but is twice as beefy

GM 4x4 drag link ends are actually one on thier own, meaning the are actually cut bigger both small dia and large dia on the holes, then all other rod ends. That is all other rod ends i have personally dealt with.

some just stab them in large taper holes, but they just do not fully seat, taper not in contact most of the full ~ 3/4" thickness of material.

there are large taper rod ends made by jeep, dodge, gm, ford, all on the 7/8 thread and all just a bit different then the others. Shorter the rod end overall the better.

You can use the draglink ends, but double check the fit, and you will proably need RE reamer. Only if you need these steep angles these offer, they wear out quicker, IMO they are a weaker design.

Just watched my buddies heep bend a DLRE at the exposed threads, nasty.

So if I get a F250 pitman, which should be a whole lot easier to find than a Waggy, I could get a 7/8 -18 (or whatever the thread pitch is) Ford rod end to fit that end of the relay rod?

Hell, that's a pretty simple solution

Hey, did you ever get my emails about the trans and the hydroboost?

For archives sake:

The piman arm from a 78-79 F-250 or Bronco is a 6.5 " long arm with a 4" drop and a GM "big" taper. It has a 1-1/8 sector shaft diameter and centered "dead" spines, unlike the Jeep ones that are offset.

The Ford dealer laughed at me when I asked for one. I got mine from JC Whitney who repackaged a Rough Country arm. It is mfg part number 6602 and JC Whitney catalog number 711425. $54.99

Gumby,

The arm I measured had a ~1 inch drop, 1 1/8 on the big end and was 7" c to c. The small end is a little over 3/4 inch and tapers to a little less than 3/4 inch.

It's yours if you want it, just pay for the ride.

??? the ford arm i have is the exact same as the waggy but it is meatier by like twice as much, same 1"drop etc.... ( i have been looking for it so i can show you)

4" drop sounds like way too much what you working on? different key way positions, etc.... got me curious.

HI^C said:
??? the ford arm i have is the exact same as the waggy but it is meatier by like twice as much, same 1"drop etc.... ( i have been looking for it so i can show you)

4" drop sounds like way too much what you working on? different key way positions, etc.... got me curious.

I have read that the Jeep key ways are off set a little. I know the Cherokee one I have is. The Ford is centered.

4" drop is OK. My relay is still angled up a couple of inches.

The problem that came up was that the taper is big TRE, NOT RRE, which is a little bigger yet,

Not at all a stupid question.

In this case, I was working on the 55. I have a Saganaw box mounted in front of the crossmember. I thought about a scout. Even had one lined up, but I don't want the can o' worms that is the spring clearance with the 1-ton TREs and a SOA.

If you want beef for a pitman arm, hit up Ron at

Custom Cruisers <---- this is a link

:beer:

mine is out of a mid 70's camaro (74 i believe) i pulled it out my self years ago and it is 7 inches eye to eye.

For archives sake:

The piman arm from a 78-79 F-250 or Bronco is a 6.5 " long arm with a 4" drop and a GM "big" taper. It has a 1-1/8 sector shaft diameter and centered "dead" spines, unlike the Jeep ones that are offset.

The Ford dealer laughed at me when I asked for one. I got mine from JC Whitney who repackaged a Rough Country arm. It is mfg part number 6602 and JC Whitney catalog number 711425. $54.99

Not sure what other years, but the pitman arm off of a 94 F250 does not work for the GM taper.

Looked nice in the junkyard, 1" drop ~6 1/2 C to C, big shaft TRE, but not GM taper.

Warning..

I bought one of these straight pitman arms, and the spline is not cut deep enough to fit correctly on the sector shaft of the saginaw box... It only engages about 3/4 of the thickness of the arm..

I returned it, to get another one.. thinking it was a mistake.. the second one was the same..

In my search to find someone with a broach to cut the splines deeper, I found someone who made me a new arm for 2/3 the price of the CC arm, and worked perfect..

-------------------------------

EDIT: The person I found is an old timer who makes them in his garage.. Ron Evans is his name, and if you want his phone # Pm Me.. He lives in CA. He used to make them for Bob Roggy (from Pirate)
They are not as pretty as a store bought arm (outside shape is plasma cut, so the finish isn't as nice) BUT it's a 1/4" thicker than the other arms.. 1" thick vs. 3/4" thick.. He does the spline by hand, each individual spline at a time...

I can take a picture later if anybody wants..

If you want beef for a pitman arm, hit up Ron at

Custom Cruisers <---- this is a link

:beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom