Pitman and drag link geometry (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since replacing my aged OME suspension with new coils, I've heard a clunking sound when I encounter particular types of bumps. I've checked and wiggled everything in the front end. My thinking is that the geometry on the drag arm end and pitman is off - as a result the rod end whacks the pitman arm ... making a clunk.

I could back off the rod end to flatten out the angle, but then I suspect the other end would be off.

Thoughts on how to sort this out? Even suggested search terms would be great.

Thanks so much in advance!

20200818_112024.jpg

Check to see if the springs are hitting the frame, Right at the coil buckets That what was making the noise when I change to Slinking springs from OME springs.
1597786890158.png

Check to see if the springs are hitting the frame, Right at the coil buckets That what was making the noise when I change to Slinking springs from OME springs.
View attachment 2408815
Will check there too. Thanks! It (sound) only seems to happen on the driver (right hand drive) side. Either its because its steering related or its just closer to me and I can hear it!

Sway bar bushings?

Maybe some pics of the suspension / drive line?

When adjusting the relay rod or tie rod, it's pretty easy to get them "flat" to the mounting surface as each end rotates in the tube.
After lifting the vehicle, a relay rod adjustment is usually necessary to get the steering wheel straight again.
That said, I find it unlikely that is the source of the noise.

Here are a couple other pics of the front end setup.

Its definitely not a sway bar bushing (there is no front sway bar).
All the rod ends drag and tie rod have been replaced within 6 months.

Thanks again for the perspectives.

-Jamie.

20200818_145426.jpg
20200818_145437.jpg

After re-reading, how about a loose shock? Top end of rear or top end of front may give you a response like that. I'm thinking rear.

After re-reading, how about a loose shock? Top end of rear or top end of front may give you a response like that. I'm thinking rear.

I'll check it out. Thank you!

I've wiggled everything around in there, but its always been while the truck is on the ground. I bet if I let the axle fully droop, it was be much more informative.

I'll check it out. Thank you!

I've wiggled everything around in there, but its always been while the truck is on the ground. I bet if I let the axle fully droop, it was be much more informative.
Jump up and down on the bumpers.

A shock loose or broken will present itself after it hits a bump, then drops. They push up easy to absorb the bumps, but drop slowly when going into a hole, so you will hear it more when hitting a hole than you will a bump.

I chased a noise similar. Ended up being loose bolt on the pan hard.

I see you have the dobinson springs. They all most always give more lift then advertised, if you don't have a adjusted panhard it well pull the axle to one side causing the springs to rub. I know i have already suggested this, but I would look closely right hear for rub marks on the springs
1597852176663.png

In this next picture you can see what the new style flexi spring with a taller free height do on compression.
1597852471675.png

Also if you are checking the panhard it should be set to 127flb and the control arm should be at 130flb. Its worth checking them both to eliminate them as the culprit.

I see you have the dobinson springs. They all most always give more lift then advertised, if you don't have a adjusted panhard it well pull the axle to one side causing the springs to rub. I know i have already suggested this, but I would look closely right hear for rub marks on the springs View attachment 2409395
In this next picture you can see what the new style flexi spring with a taller free height do on compression.View attachment 2409404
This sounds very likely. It only started when the Robison coils went in. I'll have a good look round there when I get it off the ground.

Btw, you have sexy looking axles. Wish mine were like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom