"Pearl" the HDJ81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello!

All of my time so far has been over in the 70-series section, with my JDM HZJ73. This week, we picked up our HDJ81V from Japan, and drove it back to New England. I intend on using this thread as a way to document both the build/maintenance, as well as sharing our adventures.

Please welcome "Pearl", the HDJ81:

IMG_8923.JPG

In summary:

Year: 1995
Model: KC-HDJ81V-KAI
Mileage: ~113k miles at the time of import (181,500 km's)
Origin: Japan
Diff Locks: ✓
Engine: 1HD-FT
Transmission: A442F
Color code: 2AB

One previous owner. Original "camping" setup from Japan, complete with platform/drawer system, stove, etc.

Currently, she is mostly stock, aside from:

- A minor (maybe ~2 inch) lift from "Big Country"
- BFG K02 tires in 285/75R16 (33") with a full size spare
- Aftermarket front bumper
- Aftermarket exhaust
- Aftermarket Kenwood head unit (with Japanese CD and mini CD included!)

Our plans at the moment are:

- Swap out the front bumper for an ARB, which I plan to do this weekend
- Replace head unit to be bluetooth compatible
- Replace timing belt and water pump
- Drive her

Last edited:
Nice rig. Is it too early to ask about the front bumper you are getting rid of? I look forward to following your improvements. Post some pictures of the interior camping set up. I have only seen a handful of those (in pictures only).

Nice rig. Is it too early to ask about the front bumper you are getting rid of? I look forward to following your improvements. Post some pictures of the interior camping set up. I have only seen a handful of those (in pictures only).
Not early enough, I've already had someone reach out to me about it! :)

Dam I was liking what was on there, was it aluminum?

I removed the useless fender mirror and installed a deer whistle there. Looks a bit cooler and is (hopefully) useful.

ARBs are everywhere !
That original bumper looks good but what I like about it the most is that it’s unique 😉
I would vote to put it back on.

ARBs are everywhere !
That original bumper looks good but what I like about it the most is that it’s unique 😉
I would vote to put it back on.
Well besides the aesthetics, my main reason for comitting the ARB was for the protection. The original bumper is actually really solid, now that I can see it in person...

W
Well besides the aesthetics, my main reason for comitting the ARB was for the protection. The original bumper is actually really solid, now that I can see it in person...
With a hard hit ARBs fold up like a cupcake wrapper. Just sayin 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Yeah! I would have had to sell plasma to get that bumper anyway. Thank you, I hate needles. Looking forward to your journey. Now I have to go follow your 73 build. Enablement engaged.

Excited to see more HDJs make their way to the states. I just brought mine back this spring. I'll have to get a build thread started myself. Do you have the BEBs on your to-do list anytime soon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom