Pair Valve Removal Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 94, and I am wanting to remove the entire PAIR system. Can someone please post pictures and a description of what exactly needs to be done? Thanks. I have searched, but am having trouble piecing together how to do this in my mind.

It's really straightforward. You take it out and block off the holes you make. I could take some pictures of my engine bay, but I think that would be more work than removing the pair system was.

As frankencruiser mentioned, removing everything is pretty simple. Below are some pictures of my '93 and '94 which have both had the PAIR system removed. You'll notice I have replaced the hard waterline on both with the 95+ style pipe. I also replaced the throttle cable brackets with the newer style as well. As for blocking off the holes in the exhaust manifold, you can either make a plate, or a 1/2" pipe plug works well.

My '94 is exempt from emissions testing, but the '93 isn't. Ironically, the '93 passes the visual check with no issues.

DSCF7402.jpg

DSCF7399.jpg

DSCF7400.jpg

DSCF7403.jpg

DSCF7404.jpg

DSCF7401.jpg

If you want a "factory" look for manifold block-offs the old YR Series vans had a plate that fits perfectly. It's a 17148-41010 and they are still available.

As frankencruiser mentioned, removing everything is pretty simple. Below are some pictures of my '93 and '94 which have both had the PAIR system removed. You'll notice I have replaced the hard waterline on both with the 95+ style pipe. I also replaced the throttle cable brackets with the newer style as well. As for blocking off the holes in the exhaust manifold, you can either make a plate, or a 1/2" pipe plug works well.

Regarding the pipe plug - is that hole threaded, or did you just stuff the plug in there with some sort of adhesive or such?

Can I get some education? What is the PAIR system, what is it used for, what why would you remove it? It is exclusive to the 3FE, or does the 1fz have it as well?

IFZ only, 1993-94 model years.

Pulsed Secondary Air Injection.

It is a form of manifold air injection for emissions control. It does not utilize a belt-driven pump like the 3FE.

Can I get some education? What is the PAIR system, what is it used for, what why would you remove it? It is exclusive to the 3FE, or does the 1fz have it as well?

One reason to remove it is to fit a York OBA compressor.

Or a supercharger.

How does removal of the PAIR system affect the emissions? We don't have a visual inspection only a tail pipe sniff? What does it do to engine performance?

The PAIR injects air into the exhaust to reduce HC and CO. It comes into play on cold starts and on decelleration. It does not impact hot curb idle so if the vehicle is tested at idle only there should be no effect. If it is also tested at a higher speed (as most are these days) it may spike CO and HC when the throttle plate closes.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help. I will update once I finally get around to doing this.

I used OEM 02 sensors on the manifolds and moved the OEM harness plugs to them. Blocked off the vacuum hose with a "BB" and blocked off the EGR port on the head with a piece of license plate...

passes the tail sniffer with a GREAT margin of safety...

Is the PAIR always working? Does it let air in on deceleration every time?

Could one rig it to always inject air into exhaust "help pass emission testing"?

I was very close to passing, maybe the open PAIR valve would help. I no longer need it in Western Colorado.

Last edited:
Is the PAIR always working? Does it let air in on deceleration every time?

Could one rig it to always inject air into exhaust "help pass emission testing"?

I was very close to passing, maybe the open PAIR valve would help. I no longer need it in Western Colorado.

One could rig it to where it was always open, but it there is more to the effect than meets the eye. On the 93-94 where both o2 sensors are before your cats, they measure the air fuel mix pre cat and send fuel signal to your ecu so that the proper mixture is obtained. With a constant extra addition of o2 at this point in the system, your truck will be constantly compensating by sending more fuel, either that or it will throw codes like #26 thinking that it is running lean. My pair valve came apart on the inside so that the valves were always open, and I failed WA emissions that way. Had to put in a good pair system to pass. :cheers:

Regarding the pipe plug - is that hole threaded, or did you just stuff the plug in there with some sort of adhesive or such?

IIRC, the holes will need to be tapped to 1/2" NPT.

Does anyone have the part number for the throttle cable bracket in the pic above?

Yes, but it won't do you any good as it's a dead number.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom