Painful wiring kit question about turn signals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gash05

SILVER Star
Threads
I am in the process of installing a "Painless" wiring kit in my 72 FJ40 with somewhat limited success. I am hunting, pecking, researching and cursing my way through it but I have a quick question. Should the turn signals be illuminated with the running lights? I am 3 years into a off the frame rebuild and can't remember if they only light up with the turn signal only or also light up with the running lights.

My 2-‘75 has different running & turn signal lights than yours…but here’s how mine work.

A) mounted on front fenders
B) 2 bulbs & orange lens and white lens
C) when you turn on the running lights, only the bulb with the white lens lites up
D) when you turn on the turn signal, the bulb with the orange lens lites up

I am in the process of installing a "Painless" wiring kit in my 72 FJ40 with somewhat limited success. I am hunting, pecking, researching and cursing my way through it but I have a quick question. Should the turn signals be illuminated with the running lights? I am 3 years into a off the frame rebuild and can't remember if they only light up with the turn signal only or also light up with the running lights.
The key to the aftermarket harness is to mimic the way that Toyota did the hazards/turn, wipers and brake circuits. I haven’t done it yet but others on Mud have with success. Good Luck.

The key to the aftermarket harness is to mimic the way that Toyota did the hazards/turn, wipers and brake circuits. I haven’t done it yet but others on Mud have with success. Good Luck.
Much appreciated guys!

My 1972 has a running lights option on the fender turn signals. So they do both turn and running. VERY interested in this, as I have been considering pulling the whole harness and going the Painless route, curious if there are issues with the turn/flasher/brake stuff??

I dont know about issues of "turn/flasher/brake stuff", but the 72 fender lights are turn/running light combo's with 2 wires going to it. The blub is probably an 1157.

I haven't been able to dedicate much time to it but I was able to run a jumper from the side running to the turn signals with the turn signal wires still connected. No dice. The turn signals illuminated with the running lights but would not flash with the turn signal engaged. Hoping to get some more time on it this week. Will post any success or failure.

The side marker light in the apron is a running light and only works when the parking or head lights are on, and is not suppose to blink. There should be 2 wires going to the light on the fender, one wire is a running light and the other is for the turn signal. It sounds like you need to find a good wiring schematic.

Last edited:
I had 0 problems with my painless 21 circuit truck harness. You can run the turn signals and the hazards on the same flasher circuit, or you can run them in typical GM fashion with one powering each circuit. Either is pretty easy to do.

With everyone's help I think I have it. My new Turn signals had one bullet connector and one ring connector that I had assumed went to ground like the marker lights. I changed the ring connector to a bullet style and Tee'd in with the running lights. Success! Sorry for being a dumb ass and many thanks to all!!!

With everyone's help I think I have it. My new Turn signals had one bullet connector and one ring connector that I had assumed went to ground like the marker lights. I changed the ring connector to a bullet style and Tee'd in with the running lights. Success! Sorry for being a dumb ass and many thanks to all!!!
This dumb ass will be reaching out to you when I do mine soon, so I hope you took some pictures! LOL

miniTruck?
No, it's one of Downey's NOS Saginaw kits that have brackets for the old style column, so I might have to check and see if a aftermarket column could be made to work under the dash/firewall. Might be worth the $250 for a column from summit!

No, it's one of Downey's NOS Saginaw kits that have brackets for the old style column, so I might have to check and see if a aftermarket column could be made to work under the dash/firewall. Might be worth the $250 for a column from summit!
They aren't the most attractive but pretty easy to get instlalled.

OP, sorry for the hijack.

My 1972 has a running lights option on the fender turn signals. So they do both turn and running. VERY interested in this, as I have been considering pulling the whole harness and going the Painless route, curious if there are issues with the turn/flasher/brake stuff??
Yeah, it's odd as you have to run it all through the hazard switch...

Yeah, it's odd as you have to run it all through the hazard switch...

You don't have to, though. Just run it in the GM style with a flasher for hazards and a separate for turn signals.

Makes sense. I figured there had to be another way, but by the time I got there I was so confused I just did what I was told. That said, everything works, even though the hazard lights have this weird stutter when I turn them on. Kind of like my third girlfriend. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom