Overlanding is the same as camping, right? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've been wanting to add a new dimension to my camping trips, and I've been eyeing my LX for the job. I've taken many trips on motorcycles and doing lots of camping off the bike, and have thoroughly enjoyed the trips. However, the truth is that bikes really can't go many places that a 4x4's can, and vice versa, but also as I age I find that riding in sub-zero weather is losing its appeal. So I tried camping a couple times using the LX and enjoyed it, especially when I was able to add a little bit of light offroading to the trip. Fast forward a year and I made the plunge to get a roof top tent. This decision was made much easier as my company reimburses me $800/yr for activity equipment. I'd been looking at all different kinds of RTTs for probably a year and also seeing them in person during camping trips. One of the things I knew I wouldn't like was the hassle, or perceived hassle, of putting the clamshell tents away. I watched as people climbed up on top of their rigs to use their body weight to get the tent compressed so they could be packed away. This led me to look at the hardshell RTTs as they were especially easy to open and close. However they have one major drawback, they were well outside my budget. Generally starting north of 2 grand, and the sky is pretty much the limit for them. So I just kind of figured that RTTs weren't gonna happen for me.

I then came across a brand of tents, GoFSR, that had a design I really liked in their adventure tents. They are about 82 inches long, so no unfolding for length, and about 52 inches wide. Listed as a 2 person tent, we all know what that really means, it's comfortable for 1 person, 2 people are gonna be hugging all night. This is OK since my wife is not a camper. However, these too were pricey at $1600 to start. But I liked the design and was pretty sure that's the style I wanted. Basically the tent has 3 big aluminum loops that are the structure of the tent and when lifted the tent is ready to go. So I started to see if this design is out there but cheaper, since all these tents are coming from Chinese factories anyway, I figured a similar design was out there somewhere. Turns out I was right.

I found it on Amazon, of course, and the best part is that it was $900. Not cheap, mind you, but remember I will get $800 reimbursed. Still, I was hesitant. I mean really, am I *that* guy. What's next, I bolt a high lift jack to my hood? Then one of those cyber days rolled around and they knocked another $50 off the price. Sold. I bought it. After tax it was $920, so after I was reimbursed I'm $120 into this tent. It was a no-brainer for me. Called the Raptor Offgrid rooftop tent, it had the design I wanted. Easy up and easy down. Not too many reviews out there, but what I saw I liked.

8156mZ4W3nL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

So I've had it on the LX for about 3 weeks now and have learned a few things already. Number 1, the stock LX roof rack won't get the job done. It's not because it isn't strong enough, it's because it's too short. For some reason, Big T decided that the LX roof rack was really just for show and so it is about 18 or so inches shorter than the LC roof rack. So I sourced an LC rack off Mud and got it mounted to the truck (be prepared to fill your curse jar, btw). Then with the help of a friend we lifted and centered the tent on the cross bars for mounting. This is where I ran into the second problem, the crossbars are too thin for the mounting brackets.

Anyway, I've been trying to document the whole process through videos I've been making. If you have an LX, or LC, and have been wanting to dip your toe into the "Overlanding" pool maybe take a peek at these videos. But be forewarned, I'm no videographer. The quality of film making is poor, and the moron on the screen isn't too bright, but you might find something useful.

2021-01-16 15.43.15.jpg

Rooftop Tent Videos
Screenshot_3.jpg

So I've been wanting to add a new dimension to my camping trips, and I've been eyeing my LX for the job. I've taken many trips on motorcycles and doing lots of camping off the bike, and have thoroughly enjoyed the trips. However, the truth is that bikes really can't go many places that a 4x4's can, and vice versa, but also as I age I find that riding in sub-zero weather is losing its appeal. So I tried camping a couple times using the LX and enjoyed it, especially when I was able to add a little bit of light offroading to the trip. Fast forward a year and I made the plunge to get a roof top tent. This decision was made much easier as my company reimburses me $800/yr for activity equipment. I'd been looking at all different kinds of RTTs for probably a year and also seeing them in person during camping trips. One of the things I knew I wouldn't like was the hassle, or perceived hassle, of putting the clamshell tents away. I watched as people climbed up on top of their rigs to use their body weight to get the tent compressed so they could be packed away. This led me to look at the hardshell RTTs as they were especially easy to open and close. However they have one major drawback, they were well outside my budget. Generally starting north of 2 grand, and the sky is pretty much the limit for them. So I just kind of figured that RTTs weren't gonna happen for me.

I then came across a brand of tents, GoFSR, that had a design I really liked in their adventure tents. They are about 82 inches long, so no unfolding for length, and about 52 inches wide. Listed as a 2 person tent, we all know what that really means, it's comfortable for 1 person, 2 people are gonna be hugging all night. This is OK since my wife is not a camper. However, these too were pricey at $1600 to start. But I liked the design and was pretty sure that's the style I wanted. Basically the tent has 3 big aluminum loops that are the structure of the tent and when lifted the tent is ready to go. So I started to see if this design is out there but cheaper, since all these tents are coming from Chinese factories anyway, I figured a similar design was out there somewhere. Turns out I was right.

I found it on Amazon, of course, and the best part is that it was $900. Not cheap, mind you, but remember I will get $800 reimbursed. Still, I was hesitant. I mean really, am I *that* guy. What's next, I bolt a high lift jack to my hood? Then one of those cyber days rolled around and they knocked another $50 off the price. Sold. I bought it. After tax it was $920, so after I was reimbursed I'm $120 into this tent. It was a no-brainer for me. Called the Raptor Offgrid rooftop tent, it had the design I wanted. Easy up and easy down. Not too many reviews out there, but what I saw I liked.

View attachment 2565491

So I've had it on the LX for about 3 weeks now and have learned a few things already. Number 1, the stock LX roof rack won't get the job done. It's not because it isn't strong enough, it's because it's too short. For some reason, Big T decided that the LX roof rack was really just for show and so it is about 18 or so inches shorter than the LC roof rack. So I sourced an LC rack off Mud and got it mounted to the truck (be prepared to fill your curse jar, btw). Then with the help of a friend we lifted and centered the tent on the cross bars for mounting. This is where I ran into the second problem, the crossbars are too thin for the mounting brackets.

Anyway, I've been trying to document the whole process through videos I've been making. If you have an LX, or LC, and have been wanting to dip your toe into the "Overlanding" pool maybe take a peek at these videos. But be forewarned, I'm no videographer. The quality of film making is poor, and the moron on the screen isn't too bright, but you might find something useful.

View attachment 2565489

Rooftop Tent Videos
View attachment 2565496
Thanks for the write up!

I’m pretty sure to call it overlanding you have to block the trail for 30 minutes while your giant group airs down for a fire road and takes/posts pics to Instagram.

or maybe that was just the group we got stuck behind this weekend. Haha.

Thanks for the write up!

I’m pretty sure to call it overlanding you have to block the trail for 30 minutes while your giant group airs down for a paved fire road and takes/posts pics to Instagram.

fixed it for you

Thanks for the write up!

I’m pretty sure to call it overlanding you have to block the trail for 30 minutes while your giant group airs down for a fire road and takes/posts pics to Instagram.

Ah, I've been doing it wrong then. Sh1t, I'm such a freakin noob.

I thought “overlanding” was just what we used to call “vehicle camping”, except you post the video(s) of your trip on YouTube. Then again, I don’t remember “vehicle camping” in my driveway, or the mall.

The tent base is certainly stronger in it's original configuration (perpendicular tracks). Might not be a problem with just one person but I can see slats bending if weight is concentrated on any one area.

View attachment 2565638

I'd say replacing the OE crossbars with 3 or 4 80/20 channels would be a better idea.
Yeah, I think that's a good idea.

I thought “overlanding” was just what we used to call “vehicle camping”, except you post the video(s) of your trip on YouTube. Then again, I don’t remember “vehicle camping” in my driveway, or the mall.
don't forget the 'Gram, bro...

Thanks for the write up!

My god this is too real lol.

Screenshot_20210119-182851_Facebook.jpg

I remember when my wife and I were planning our wedding. We used to hear that just saying the word wedding cost $1000 every time you said it. Case in point, I called a venue and said I wanted to book it for 100 people. It was like $3000 for the full day. I then offered up that it was for a wedding - the guy's instant response was "Oh, a wedding? Our wedding rate is $5,000." I asked what was different and he listed a few decorations.

That's overlanding.

I also neglected to mention the vehicles with MaxTrax, a rooftop tent, a hi-lift Jack, and 3+ Jerry cans, for their daily commute downtown.
Just added them to my Amazon basket. Should be full-on Overlanding Bro by next week.

I also neglected to mention the vehicles with MaxTrax, a rooftop tent, a hi-lift Jack, and 3+ Jerry cans, for their daily commute downtown.
You HAVE seen Escape from New York, right?!

I mean, it has Lee Van Cleef, so it must be accurate.

Amazon.com has a streaming "overlanding" trip through Central and South America. Roads not particularly challenging, but Instagram up the wazoo. Our MO is normally driving up BLM or USFS roads to trail heads, and then walking for a week or so.

I remember when my wife and I were planning our wedding. We used to hear that just saying the word wedding cost $1000 every time you said it. Case in point, I called a venue and said I wanted to book it for 100 people. It was like $3000 for the full day. I then offered up that it was for a wedding - the guy's instant response was "Oh, a wedding? Our wedding rate is $5,000." I asked what was different and he listed a few decorations.

That's overlanding.

Haha, yes. When we booked our wedding, we refused to tell them what the event was until after we paid for the venue. Definitely saved us some coin.

The one item on my truck that I get most compliments on is the snorkel er, desert air intake! I have had Overland Bros, Jeep Bros, Cruiser Bros, Motorcycle Bros, Hiker Pros and everyone's cousin walk up and tell me that my truck is most impressive because of the snorkel.

IMG-20200704-WA0004.jpg

Only upside to this is you are always ready to get out there.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom