Outer Diameter of 80 axles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DangerNoodle

Essentially a fire wielding monkey.
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Kind of an odd question, but I'm planning on putting 80 axles under an FJ40. What is the outer diameter of the axles so I can find U bolts and brackets?

Kind of depends on exactly where you plan to mount the perches. You should probably get the axles in hand before buying hardware, and mock it up.

Kind of depends on exactly where you plan to mount the perches. You should probably get the axles in hand before buying hardware, and mock it up.

I have the axles, but I'm currently away at college so I cant access them. I just want to be able to look at options for parts right now.

They are kind of square to round, so, depending on how far away from the diff on either side, it will be different.

They are kind of square to round, so, depending on how far away from the diff on either side, it will be different.

Ok, that helps a lot. On the more roundish part, do you know the rough diameter? Do you know if it closer to 3" or 3.5"?

You could convert it to coil springs....

I just got under my truck and measured both front, and rear axles for you. The round ends are just a few thousands smaller then 3 5/16 of an inch. Measured size of both axles with my dial calipers was 3.305.

Pretty sure when my brother swapped 80 axles under his 62 he used the ruff stuff 3” OD perches and we used a grinder to open it up a bit. That’s on the rear axle.

The front is not really an upgrade from your 40 axles except for the width. 9.5” vs 8” pinion but the birfs are bigger on the 80 as well. you could probably make the 3” perches work with the front though too

I just got under my truck and measured both front, and rear axles for you. The round ends are just a few thousands smaller then 3 5/16 of an inch. Measured size of both axles with my dial calipers was 3.305.

Thank you for doing that. That is really helpful.

Usually where the leaves align there are two different sizes on the same perch with different length ubolts. You really need to sit down with the axles and your setup find out where the springs will land on the axles and measure it yourself. You are absolutely going to have to customize the perches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom