Orion: still popping out of gear! Lets form a club!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4x4Poet said:
Let me ask about the Orion fix here, as well. Did the AA "fix" Poser delineated in post # 97 above solve all the "pop out of gear" problems with the Orion (assuming all the new shift parts are also utilized)?

Walt, I haven't had an opportunity to trail test mine yet, but I honestly believe that popping will no longer be an issue.................if I can ever get mine IN to gear!:eek:

The detents are SO STRONG and SO POSITIVE that they have overwhelmed my dash mounted transfer case's controls ability to move the hi lo shift lever. The face of my dashboard is physically buckling under the strain without result. I ended up having to build a reinforcement for the dash in order to move the lever, and am still not happy with that.

I will be removing the unit shortly to lower the tension on the fork, as I believe, as I have all along, that the stepped thrust washers, along with the inboarded detents on the shift rail, are sufficient to cure ALL problems that anyone might have had in the past.

shifter problems abound.

Mine has a loose floppy shifter and is the original parts and seems to have worn in as it only pops out raely. Seems more prevelent after a long day in 4lo and when you go back to 2hi it pops readily for the first few miles , go figure.

peesalot said:
shifter problems abound.

Mine has a loose floppy shifter and is the original parts and seems to have worn in as it only pops out raely. Seems more prevelent after a long day in 4lo and when you go back to 2hi it pops readily for the first few miles , go figure.

take it apart and fix it!

65swb45 said:
...The detents are SO STRONG and SO POSITIVE that they have overwhelmed my dash mounted transfer case's controls ability to move the hi lo shift lever...

I will be removing the unit shortly to lower the tension on the fork, as I believe, as I have all along, that the stepped thrust washers, along with the inboarded detents on the shift rail, are sufficient to cure ALL problems that anyone might have had in the past.
Interesting, Mark. I hadn't thought of how increasing tension on the fork would affect dash mounted shifters. Yours is mechanical, not vacuum, right? I wonder how vacuum shifters would fare with extra fork tension.

Did you adjust the tension on the fork above what you normally would have for a stock transfer case rebuild? IOW, did you incorporate three "fixes" with your Orion build?

1. Stepped thrust washers?
2. Inboarded detents on the shift rail?
3. Increased tension on the shift fork (over stock rebuild specs)?

BTW, did you have a shaved gear from AA as well?

Well , It has new shift collar , shift rail moved over to put detents in proper spot , tension on screw and spring set firmly , only other thing is to install step washer , I am not that motivated to take it out again . Maybe to put an auto in.
If I understand correctly you can either install step washer or get updated parts from A/A but you do not want both modifications at same time ???

4x4Poet said:
I wonder how vacuum shifters would fare with extra fork tension.

The vacuum front drive acctuator does not have anything to do with range selection.....the range selection is a mechanical connection on these cases.

:beer:

peesalot said:
...If I understand correctly you can either install step washer or get updated parts from A/A but you do not want both modifications at same time ???
Thanks for that question, pees. Learning the ins and outs of the little things like whether stepped washers & updated AA gear are both needed is why I went through most of the Orion threads and brought up questions I had.
treerootCO said:
vacuum is for 2wd to 4wd....not high low.
Thanks for the correction. I've never familiarized myself with the vacuum shift set up on early Cruisers. So, vacuum shifters have no role in the popping out of gear situation with Orions?

peesalot said:
If I understand correctly you can either install step washer or get updated parts from A/A but you do not want both modifications at same time ???

John,

You want to install the stepped thrust washers AND the other parts that come in the modification
" kit ", that includes the new shift rail, detent ball, spring and brass hex nut/bolt that takes the place of the set screw in the fork....along with having your used high-speed gear modified so that it will not touch the shift collar.

edited for pics:

Original Orion high-speed gear next to the modified gear that AA is now shipping in all Orion transfer case kits.

attachment.php

The rest of the pieces in the AA Orion kit, that includes new stepped thrust washers, cut to .010" and .015"....or right about there, the new detent ball, spring, brass plug/bolt, shift rail and oring for the other side of the rail.

attachment.php

You will want to install the stepped washers, and the modified high-speed gear, along with the rest of the goodies.

-Steve

Last edited:
4x4Poet said:
So, vacuum shifters have no role in the popping out of gear situation with Orions?

That is correct for both a normal transfer case and an Orion. The vacuum acctuator has nothing to do with range selection.

Poser said:
That is correct for both a normal transfer case and an Orion. The vacuum acctuator has nothing to do with range selection.

i would think this but the shifter on a dash shifted truck will not move with the motor like a floor shifter would. I also think that fram flex shows up in a dash mount as well.

well hells bells. I am gonna run it just to see if all this is for naught and it wears in just fine as is. About 500 miles plus and lots of 4 lo with some 4 high at pismo and it works. Never popped at pismo.

Has anyone run into a problem where the brass nut doesn't have enough clearance? Mark mentioned to me that there are three or more different style top covers and they might not all clear the new nut. I haven't had a chance to look yet but I have covers from 63-79 I can check if needed.

When are you going to upgrade mine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom