Original Alternator??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering if this was the original alternator, due to my electrical problem(https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/264388-need-advise-3-questions.html).
I don't think it looks original but I could be wrong, I say this because it seems that most people recommend rebuilding the original alternator, but if this is not the original is it still worth rebuilding?
Whats my best option?

JT outfitters Land Cruiser FJ40 FJ60 81 to 87 AL229X $77.28

SOR Remanufactured Alternator 55 Amp - Fits 8/80-8/87 FJ60
020-10L $204.99

Mean Green Landcruiser 4.2L (1975-87) $369.00

DSC05634b.jpg

DSC05637b.jpg

DSC05633b.jpg

My 25 yo 60 has never had a new alternator, but the existing one was rebuilt 13 years ago. Depending on what is wrong with it, a rebuild could be an inexpensive option for you. If it was me, I would buy the rebuilt and put it in and rebuild mine for a spare.

JrFJ60 - also look here on Mud in parting or for sale sections. I picked one up from Dynosaur (thx!) for 1/2 of new/rebuilt. Just in time when mine died. Then you can rebuild your existing and have a spare, but save some $$!

GL!

rob

I was wondering if this was the original alternator, due to my electrical problem(https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/264388-need-advise-3-questions.html).
I don't think it looks original but I could be wrong, I say this because it seems that most people recommend rebuilding the original alternator, but if this is not the original is it still worth rebuilding?
Whats my best option?

JT outfitters Land Cruiser FJ40 FJ60 81 to 87 AL229X $77.28

SOR Remanufactured Alternator 55 Amp - Fits 8/80-8/87 FJ60
020-10L $204.99

Mean Green Landcruiser 4.2L (1975-87) $369.00

Another option - i have 2 cruisers, one with the mean green, one without (now with Dyno's Nippon D Alt). The MG Alt is pretty awesome, but isn't completely a drop in replacement.

If you are thinking of running lots of lights, accessories, maybe dual batt's or a winch later - the MG might be a good option. It's $$, but it also puts out 200A (vs stock 55A).

As for using one - you need to have another heavier guage wire run to the pos+ batt terminal. I put an inline 200A fuse.

Now laugh if you'd like, but i didn't do this originally (im electrical stoopid), and it worked fine, until my batt got a bit low (i think i left lights on). So the MG Alt decided to put out more juice to charge the low batt... PFFT! (there goes my fusible link).:doh:

I can laugh about it now - it was a simple fix. I carry a spare fusible link btw, and the setup with heavier guage wire to batt has been 100% fix.

now it's just a matter of what you'd like to spend your $ on. Go inexpensive and pick up a used Nippon Denso ALt from Mud (i did this and will keep as my spare), you can rebuild your existing for a spare too, or go $ and get a MG if you think you'll need it down the road.

GL!

rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom