Need advise... 3 questions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone, I have a 85 FJ60.
About once or twice a week my volt meter on the dash goes up to 16V. It stays there for awhile or sometimes I turn off the engine and restart it and it might go away. Also when I have my turn signal on my voltmeter goes up and down alittle. I Have put a digital multimeter on my battery and at idle with nothing on its at 14.19V (which is good), and with headlights, hazards, windshield wipers, and heater on it doesn't go below 13V.
I drive my truck everyday, and I dont like when the volts get up high, my interior dash lights get really bright, and everytime its happend ive missed the chance to measure the volts at the battery, so I really dont know how high there are.
Will Changing the voltage regulator fix this?
(I have an internal VR) I dont think the alternator is going out. Or should I stop stressing about this?

I have an other ?? Also about 3 to 4 times a week when I start up the truck I hear like a puff of air comming from under the glove box and then I get a burnt smell anyone know what this can be?????

Last question, on 31X10.5 R15 tires on a stock truck whats a good air pressure?

First question sounds like an electrical problem.;)

Second one sounds like you're getting a "backfire" through the dizzy cap filter under the dash. Check inside the distributor cap for burntness and check the other line that is supposed to be "sucking" the air out of the cap not pushing it back .:confused:

JrFJ60,

I recommend you have your alternator tested for excessive AC output. You may find you have some bad diodes in there.

My reasoning comes from the symptoms: Weak DC output (14.4v is minimum), seen by gauge deflection when a load is placed on the system, and the intermittant bright operation of the lamps.

If your motor backfires, it could fart excessive crank fumes up through the dizzy vent.

Rick

About once or twice a week my volt meter on the dash goes up to 16V. It stays there for awhile or sometimes I turn off the engine and restart it and it might go away. Also when I have my turn signal on my voltmeter goes up and down alittle. I Have put a digital multimeter on my battery and at idle with nothing on its at 14.19V (which is good), and with headlights, hazards, windshield wipers, and heater on it doesn't go below 13V.
I drive my truck everyday, and I dont like when the volts get up high, my interior dash lights get really bright, and everytime its happend ive missed the chance to measure the volts at the battery, so I really dont know how high there are.
Will Changing the voltage regulator fix this?
(I have an internal VR) I dont think the alternator is going out. Or should I stop stressing about this?

I have an other ?? Also about 3 to 4 times a week when I start up the truck I hear like a puff of air comming from under the glove box and then I get a burnt smell anyone know what this can be?????

Last question, on 31X10.5 R15 tires on a stock truck whats a good air pressure?

I would have your alternator tested or buy a cheap cig. lighter gauge which shows your voltage while you drive. I would run the tires around 35 psi to 37 depending on how firm/soft of ride you like.

This has been very useful in checking my alternator in any car.

http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3721-Battery-Charging-Monitor/dp/B000EVWDU0
https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/91013-battery-charging-system-status-monitor-$15.html

You want to be careful if the voltage gets too high. It could be overcharging you battery and could start leaking if it is lead acid.

Last edited:
I advise you to spell "advice" with a c. Says the man who spelled weird "wierd" recently...

I'll second the voltage regulator being bad. Mine fried my new battery right after I bought my 60. It also would dim the lights when slowing down or stopping at a light (low idle).
The voltage still fluctuates when the turn signals are on, though.

About once or twice a week my volt meter on the dash goes up to 16V. It stays there for awhile or sometimes I turn off the engine and restart it and it might go away....

You definitely need to fix that. 16V is in the neighborhood of blowing lamps and fuses, not to mention vehicle electronics.

I advise you to spell "advice" with a c. Says the man who spelled weird "wierd" recently...

I wasn't going to say anything but I agree. :)

I would personally like to thank Randy and Tofudebeest for playing grammar police. I almost didn't read this thread because of the misspelled title (personal problems, a little OCD)

That being said, definately fix the electrical problem the whoomp is the dizzy as previously stated.

And air pressure about 35 or so.

I would personally like to thank Randy and Tofudebeest for playing grammar police. I almost didn't read this thread because of the misspelled title (personal problems, a little OCD)

That being said, definately fix the electrical problem the whoomp is the dizzy as previously stated.

And air pressure about 35 or so.

Being an engineer I got where I am today by being a little OCD and a little nit picky. Attention to detail makes a good engineer, otherwise planes crash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom