Orange Dot Mod (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If you take a look at your air flow meter, you'll probably find an old and worn out orange dot that was put on for some unknown reason as the car was being made.

dot_before.jpg

I think most people tend to neglect maintenance of this dot, so it's likely yours needs to be replaced. Here's how you do it:

First, you need to know someone who scrap books. Point out the sad looking orange dot and then ask them if they could make you a new orange dot. They can all do it, so don't let yourself be tricked. The tools they use to make custom orange stickers are in the picture below.

Next, get the old sticker a little bit wet, and rub it with your fingernail until it comes off. This is going to take you somewhere around a minute. Be sure to dry the area before you try to use the sticker. Wet stickers don't work!

You then take the new sticker, and press it into place on the clean dry air flow meter.

dot_repair.jpg

That's it. I'm not sure why, but I started getting 2 MPG better right after I did this, and my approach angle has improved. Here's the end result, just like the day it rolled off the line:

dot_after.jpg

:cheers:

Last edited:
Can you do a DVD for this? I'd buy it.

I'm not sure the pics will keep me out of trouble.

My 96 does not have a place for the orange dot Mod. :frown:

I feel so inferior without the dot :crybaby:

I wouldn't feel comfortable now even going to the mall without doing that mod.

orange dot, BLING or PERFORMANCE or both???

hummm.. ken

RavenTai said:
My 96 does not have a place for the orange dot Mod. :frown:

I feel so inferior without the dot :crybaby:

93-94's only (because of the PAIR valve) - am i right?

tech_dog said:
If you take a look at your air flow meter, you'll probably find an old and worn out orange dot that was put on for some unknown reason as the car was being made

Tech_dog,

REPOST. This has been covered extensively in the Archives. You should SEARCH before you post up a new "fix."

Sadly, I hate to burst your bubble, but your orange dot is supposed to be a RED dot. Yours was faded and you should have got a 4mpg increase if you'd have used the correct color. I can't explain how you increased your approach angle as that has nothing to do with this mod. (Placebo?)

-B-

how many bananas is this mod. i think i'd better wait til i can get some expert help...

MLX450 said:
93-94's only (because of the PAIR valve) - am i right?

no, it is because he has the door type air flow meter, my 96 has a hot wire type mass air flow meter.

I wonder, even though it was not installed at the factory, if you add an aftermarket red dot to the wire type meter can you get 4MPG gain also? :bounce2:

Thanks for the write-up, but I'll have to have the OEM dot, I'm not letting some hack scrapbooker dot my Cruiser.;)

..... didn't MOT recently offer a JDM green dot for horsepower increase? May be worth the mod.

if anybody has a cheap used orange dot in good condition that can be tweaked and experimented with, let me know! :D

e9999 said:
if anybody has a cheap used orange dot in good condition that can be tweaked and experimented with, let me know! :D

That's not a bad idea. Cut it in half and see what kind of paper medium you have to use to get the 4 mpg increase.

That is no mere orange dot. It's a micro-transceiver, placed there to track your every wheeling move. "They" did it...remove at your peril...

I purchased my upgraded orange dot from slee. Way better than the OEM orange dot.

I'm told the dot is actually paisley on the FJC.... :D

My 96 has a BLUE dot. Could this be a dreaded Lexus dot?

What should I do?

a. Take it over to Mudrak for a dot correctomy?

b. Replace with the requlation orange dot?

If I do the latter, how will it effect my performance/mileage? Do you have a standard ink color number for the correct orange dot?

Help!

M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom