Orange Dot Mod (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A buddy of mine over in Saudi told me he saw a bunch of Cruisers with polished silver dots....he even heard rumors a few of them were gold. He said he priced it, but it would cost and arm and a leg to ship over here.

After I finish rebuilding the dot on my cruiser I will probably try to add one to my mini truck? I was wondering if anyone sells an adapter kit.

If you take a look at your air flow meter, you'll probably find an old and worn out orange dot that was put on for some unknown reason as the car was being made.

dot_before.jpg

I think most people tend to neglect maintenance of this dot, so it's likely yours needs to be replaced. Here's how you do it:

First, you need to know someone who scrap books. Point out the sad looking orange dot and then ask them if they could make you a new orange dot. They can all do it, so don't let yourself be tricked. The tools they use to make custom orange stickers are in the picture below.

Next, get the old sticker a little bit wet, and rub it with your fingernail until it comes off. This is going to take you somewhere around a minute. Be sure to dry the area before you try to use the sticker. Wet stickers don't work!

You then take the new sticker, and press it into place on the clean dry air flow meter.

dot_repair.jpg

That's it. I'm not sure why, but I started getting 2 MPG better right after I did this, and my approach angle has improved. Here's the end result, just like the day it rolled off the line:

dot_after.jpg

:cheers:

I have a stupid question. What is orange dot :doh:? A picture will be nice to :hillbilly:!

I have a stupid question. What is orange dot :doh:? A picture will be nice to :hillbilly:!

It will vary slightly, but will look very similar to the image below. Yours may be a variation of orange due to fading, but this will depend upon when the last service was performed.

web%20red-dot.jpg

Hey Tech_Dog, you need to flip your dot, you installed it upside down.

Damn, I have been spending way too much time in the 40 section.

Has anyone looked into a "Group Buy", you can put me down for 1 if the price is right!!

When I recently retired from the Navy I had to give up my FL legal resident status and register the GWT here in CA - and that meant an emissions test. No problems with what came out of the tailpipe, but when it came to the system visual inspection, I'll be damned if the guy didn't go straight for the dot. SOB failed me for a non-stock component. So learn from my mistake - those bright red "good as OEM" dots may look good on Ebay, but it's virtually impossible to get a clean, precise installation without the SST (big $$$), and once a sharp-eyed tech gets suspicious..... Good luck, Mack

Damn...I'm glad someone revived this thread. I suspect this dot is playing some role in my on-going emissions saga. While I was able to pass smog recently, my rig is still throwing the same code...

:hmm:

maybe it's time to replace the dot?

anyone else experience this?

well, I recently wrecked my LX so I guess this would be a great time to do the orange dot mod. I'll keep my eyes open while I am at salvage yards and see if I can find any used ones. Do you think the used will perform ok? I wonder if there is an aftermarket version available yet?
Just let me know if you are interested. I will need zip code for shipping quotes if I find extra's or local pick-up.

oh by the way - might want to add this to the " best mods for under $100 " section. :)

x2. none of the pictures are showing up and this thread sounds like a bunch of BS. Please set us who dont have a clue to what you are talking about straight please.

thanks

I guess our sarcasm didn't come thru in the print :)

sarcasm?

:confused:

What's the largest dot size I can run without re-gearing?

I can't seem to get this thing adjusted properly.

Who was it that was selling the DVD? I should have listened and bought the DVD prior to attempting this without assistance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I will need to get this back on the road. :cheers:

Hi guys, 100 series owner here. What's the backspacing if I want to run a 22 inch chrome dot?

Hi guys, 100 series owner here. What's the backspacing if I want to run a 22 inch chrome dot?

I think it would be a good idea to post this question in the 100 series forum. I'm pretty sure that the 100 series dot runs on a completely different logic. Also, the 22 inch chrome dot is not intended for the US market. You really shouldn't mention those here.

Dave,

Us Euro diesel dogs need to look elsewhere....

I was doing my BEBs and found the dot on my sump!!!!!!:cool:

That said my dot has increased my mpg from 24 to 27 (but we have bigger gallons - we invented gallons:p)

Can I upgrade the dots on my springs to increase lift? What colors would I use for 4"? I also noticed they are painted on, what is the proper removal method? is there a SST?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom