Options for a GX460 mild cosmetic lift? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2010 GX460 with 155K miles on it. I have owned it since 2020 and I love it. Emerald green with a black interior, It is whatever the fully loaded version is (with airbag suspension and AVS).

I often haul motorcycles on a hitch rack on the back, so I really like the auto leveling air suspension in the back.

It is almost time for a new set of tires, and I would like to replace the stock wheels and tires with something that looks slightly more utilitarian, and give myself a touch more heigh, and perhaps slightly larger tires. And I would love to do this while keeping the airbag and AVS functionality.

Not looking for anything crazy, and my off roading is limited to dirt / fire roads usually to get to dirt bike trails. So I do not need an aggressive articulating suspension. I am also very happy with the ride currently and would prefer not to impact it too much.

I have read a bit that you can add a simple spacer to the front suspension in one of those "front leveling" kits - was thinking of going this route. And have found some questionable information about adding spacers to the airbags in the back. Alternatively I could do the rear airbag sensor washer trick.

Questions follow:
- for what I am looking for do the front spacers make sense?
- is there a brand that is liked?
- what size should I look at?
- what is the best approach for the rear.
- What are some recommended tires to pair with the 17" TRD (or TRD style) wheels that perform well in city/highway conditions?

Thank you all in advance!

here are a few pics for attention

IMG_5529.jpg

IMG_0871.jpg

IMG_2632.jpg

If you really want to keep the self leveling, the only option will be spacers. All other suspension lifts involve new springs, shocks and removing the airbags.
But as you mentioned, you only want a wee bit of height, then spacers may be your best bet and they will be the cheapest too.
As for rims and tires, I highly suggest going to 17x8.5 rims.
Reasons:
  1. Presently 17" tires are (generally) the most affordable tires matching outside diameter size for size between 17" tires and other rim sizes.
  2. 17" tires will have the largest selection of sizes and often most available.
  3. You'll also have more sidewall. Sidewall = softer ride, both on road and off road.
  4. Getting a narrow rim will ensure you will (almost) never blow a tire bead off a rim if you should ever need to air down or even if you're unlucky enough to unknowingly get a puncture.
  5. Going up one size in tire size will put your speedometer spot on with your phone's GPS.
  6. Any larger in diameter and your speedo will be reading slower than your actual highway speed, hence you may need a GPS app on your phone for accurate speed readings. Good news is that what you are probably be going to increase in tire size will only up your speedo about 2% of actual.
Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Also remember that tires affect ride quality and comfort as much as your suspension does. I would do what R2M suggests and go with 17"s and a road focused tire - it looks like you already have Michelin Defender LTX so I'd stick with a new set of those and go with a 265/70/17. This requires minimal work to fit (some plastic here and there). Unless you have other needs (heavy snow, mud, etc.) these are the best highway tire you can get.

As for spacers... I'm personally against front suspension spacers as you can top out the shock if you hit something hard. Get the wheels and tires first, then see if you like the look before going with a front spacer.

Also remember that tires affect ride quality and comfort as much as your suspension does. I would do what R2M suggests and go with 17"s and a road focused tire - it looks like you already have Michelin Defender LTX so I'd stick with a new set of those and go with a 265/70/17. This requires minimal work to fit (some plastic here and there). Unless you have other needs (heavy snow, mud, etc.) these are the best highway tire you can get.

As for spacers... I'm personally against front suspension spacers as you can top out the shock if you hit something hard. Get the wheels and tires first, then see if you like the look before going with a front spacer.
I second going 265/70/17. You'll get another 1" in height from going to that size over factory.

Reactions: r2m
As for spacers... I'm personally against front suspension spacers as you can top out the shock if you hit something hard.

With enough spacers the front shocks would bottom out, which is worse than topping out.

Ezra, is that a Beta in the first pic? I had a couple of their trials bikes. Nice XS650 too.

At 155K your OEM shocks, although they might seem to ride OK, are probably near the end of their lives. So it may be counterproductive to go through the effort of installing a spacer lift up front (which comes with it's own issues - as mentioned by others) only to have the front shocks start leaking 10K from now. So it may be worth looking in to a lower-cost lift kit (such as a Bilstein 5100 kit which is a common lower-cost option for these rigs).

Ezra, is that a Beta in the first pic? I had a couple of their trials bikes. Nice XS650 too.
Yessir, betta 300rr2t race edition and a husqavarna FE501 that has been Supermoto converter. ✌️

I have a 2010 GX460 with 155K miles on it. I have owned it since 2020 and I love it. Emerald green with a black interior, It is whatever the fully loaded version is (with airbag suspension and AVS).

I often haul motorcycles on a hitch rack on the back, so I really like the auto leveling air suspension in the back.

It is almost time for a new set of tires, and I would like to replace the stock wheels and tires with something that looks slightly more utilitarian, and give myself a touch more heigh, and perhaps slightly larger tires. And I would love to do this while keeping the airbag and AVS functionality.

Not looking for anything crazy, and my off roading is limited to dirt / fire roads usually to get to dirt bike trails. So I do not need an aggressive articulating suspension. I am also very happy with the ride currently and would prefer not to impact it too much.

I have read a bit that you can add a simple spacer to the front suspension in one of those "front leveling" kits - was thinking of going this route. And have found some questionable information about adding spacers to the airbags in the back. Alternatively I could do the rear airbag sensor washer trick.

Questions follow:
- for what I am looking for do the front spacers make sense?
- is there a brand that is liked?
- what size should I look at?
- what is the best approach for the rear.
- What are some recommended tires to pair with the 17" TRD (or TRD style) wheels that perform well in city/highway conditions?

Thank you all in advance!

here are a few pics for attention

View attachment 3493359

View attachment 3493360

View attachment 3493361

I've only had my GX460 for a week and a half LOL, but just went through this same exact drill. It is a 19 with 40K on it. The only thing I see missing from your list is the new tires have to fit in the spare location. And spacers have never on my list for suspension modifications.

The dealer put brand new Michelin Defenders on mine. I believe they are in part what contributes to the ride and handling, great pavement tire without snow. Sunday morning went out and when I pulled into my driveway which is a long steep paver brick slid sideways at the top

53363462285_b68ecf91f0_b.jpg

I hate that feeling when you start to slide and have no control. In the afternoon didn't have any better results

53363222523_15e39f8f4a_b.jpg

If those are Defenders that you currently have and they are working for you then nothing wrong with staying with them. They aren't going to work for me. I bird hunt and on Upland Journal by coincidence a guy in Wi. yesterday said the same thing happened to his wife's GX460 with Defenders Sunday when they got snow as well.

So yesterday had my 4x4 shop order 5 Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/70/17 tires.

Being yesterday was Cyber Monday and a couple of Toyota dealers were doing 25% off with free shipping I also went with the TRD Pro wheels, "new" center hub caps and black lug nuts. 5 sets with the exception of lug nuts I don't need lug nuts for the spare obviously.

TRD Pro black wheels PTR56-89210-F2
TRD Pro Center cap new red ring PT280-89210-F2
Lug nuts black PT076-60200-02

• Subtotal
    $1,450.00
  • Shipping
    $359.28
  • Tax
    $0.00
  • Total Savings
  • $746.18
  • Black Friday Cyber Monday Sale, Nationwide Free Shipping
  • $501.27
  • Dealer Discount
  • $244.91
  • Total
  • $1,063.10
I plan on putting the 5th into tire rotation. The TRD wheels are 25 pounds the stock Lexus 32 pounds so save 7 pounds each. Of course the tires I selected are 8 pounds heavier than the Defenders but still only a gain of 1 pound. It does all add up especially for a daily driver.

It should work as a solution for me and my needs. Yours are a bit different but along the same lines. I hunt NW Ontario well past where the pavement ends in September and the tip of the Mn. Arrowhead for October so need more ground clearance then just the tires will give me. I'm in no hurry to start chopping on the body but it is going to happen. It can wait for now. Good luck in finding what works for you!

But as you mentioned, you only want a wee bit of height, then spacers may be your best bet and they will be the cheapest too.
As for rims and tires, I highly suggest going to 17x8.5 rims.
Reasons:
  1. Presently 17" tires are (generally) the most affordable tires matching outside diameter size for size between 17" tires and other rim sizes.
  2. 17" tires will have the largest selection of sizes and often most available.
  3. You'll also have more sidewall. Sidewall = softer ride, both on road and off road.
  4. Getting a narrow rim will ensure you will (almost) never blow a tire bead off a rim if you should ever need to air down or even if you're unlucky enough to unknowingly get a puncture.
  5. Going up one size in tire size will put your speedometer spot on with your phone's GPS.
  6. Any larger in diameter and your speedo will be reading slower than your actual highway speed, hence you may need a GPS app on your phone for accurate speed readings. Good news is that what you are probably be going to increase in tire size will only up your speedo about 2% of actual.
Hope this helps!

I don't disagree with anything you said! In fact totally agree and why I went with 17" rims. The only thing I'm wondering about is the suggestion to go with 17x8.5 rims?

If eventually planning on larger tires yet I could see going wider wheels. But one of the reasons I went with the TRD Pro rims is they are only 7" wide. So it helps prevent a bead from breaking when airing down. Smaller sidewall exposure sticking out near the rim as well. But I am no expert, just some of the things I've picked up on over the years. But wider rims may have a benefit and I don't know what I don't know!

With enough spacers the front shocks would bottom out, which is worse than topping out.

I had the term backwards - whichever the term is where the shock hits max compression before the rest of the suspension/bump stops do. Now that I'm rereading my comment, I see the connection lol.

Yessir, betta 300rr2t race edition and a husqavarna FE501 that has been Supermoto converter. ✌️
Oh, I think that is an XR650 in front of my car...not mine. It's a community moto garage I used to keep my bikes at here in Brooklyn.

At 155K your OEM shocks, although they might seem to ride OK, are probably near the end of their lives. So it may be counterproductive to go through the effort of installing a spacer lift up front (which comes with it's own issues - as mentioned by others) only to have the front shocks start leaking 10K from now. So it may be worth looking in to a lower-cost lift kit (such as a Bilstein 5100 kit which is a common lower-cost option for these rigs).
You know, this is a really good point which I had not considered.

Im leaning towards getting the later model rims and slightly larger 265/70/17. Updated look and higher ride height. Then honestly probably going with the KYB electronic shocks front and back as an update.

Probably a better solution to my needs overall. This may honestly be the original suspension on the rig.

I've only had my GX460 for a week and a half LOL, but just went through this same exact drill. It is a 19 with 40K on it. The only thing I see missing from your list is the new tires have to fit in the spare location. And spacers have never on my list for suspension modifications.

The dealer put brand new Michelin Defenders on mine. I believe they are in part what contributes to the ride and handling, great pavement tire without snow. Sunday morning went out and when I pulled into my driveway which is a long steep paver brick slid sideways at the top

53363462285_b68ecf91f0_b.jpg

I hate that feeling when you start to slide and have no control. In the afternoon didn't have any better results

53363222523_15e39f8f4a_b.jpg

If those are Defenders that you currently have and they are working for you then nothing wrong with staying with them. They aren't going to work for me. I bird hunt and on Upland Journal by coincidence a guy in Wi. yesterday said the same thing happened to his wife's GX460 with Defenders Sunday when they got snow as well.

So yesterday had my 4x4 shop order 5 Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/70/17 tires.

Being yesterday was Cyber Monday and a couple of Toyota dealers were doing 25% off with free shipping I also went with the TRD Pro wheels, "new" center hub caps and black lug nuts. 5 sets with the exception of lug nuts I don't need lug nuts for the spare obviously.

TRD Pro black wheels PTR56-89210-F2
TRD Pro Center cap new red ring PT280-89210-F2
Lug nuts black PT076-60200-02

• Subtotal
    $1,450.00
  • Shipping
    $359.28
  • Tax
    $0.00
  • Total Savings
  • $746.18
  • Black Friday Cyber Monday Sale, Nationwide Free Shipping
  • $501.27
  • Dealer Discount
  • $244.91
  • Total
  • $1,063.10
I plan on putting the 5th into tire rotation. The TRD wheels are 25 pounds the stock Lexus 32 pounds so save 7 pounds each. Of course the tires I selected are 8 pounds heavier than the Defenders but still only a gain of 1 pound. It does all add up especially for a daily driver.

It should work as a solution for me and my needs. Yours are a bit different but along the same lines. I hunt NW Ontario well past where the pavement ends in September and the tip of the Mn. Arrowhead for October so need more ground clearance then just the tires will give me. I'm in no hurry to start chopping on the body but it is going to happen. It can wait for now. Good luck in finding what works for you!

I don't disagree with anything you said! In fact totally agree and why I went with 17" rims. The only thing I'm wondering about is the suggestion to go with 17x8.5 rims?

If eventually planning on larger tires yet I could see going wider wheels. But one of the reasons I went with the TRD Pro rims is they are only 7" wide. So it helps prevent a bead from breaking when airing down. Smaller sidewall exposure sticking out near the rim as well. But I am no expert, just some of the things I've picked up on over the years. But wider rims may have a benefit and I don't know what I don't know!
Looking forward to some pic's after it's all assembled!

If you aren't wheeling the lift portion will only really be cosmetic. 265/70R17s should fit on a stock-height rig without a problem. Your front springs are also probably worn out/sagging, so they are likely in need of a replacement as well and would bump you up a bit in the front. At that point, it's an easy job, new shocks all the way around plus new springs in the front. For the springs, I suggest going OEM or good-quality aftermarket (Eibach, OME, etc). It's something you can easily DIY as long as you have a coil spring compressor ($40) and misc. other tools.

There honestly really aren't a lot of benefits or good quality options for a small ~1" lift. You're either running stock stuff outside of it's design range or piecing together something from multiple aftermarket suppliers. It's easier to stay stock height or go with a matched kit that will bump you into the 2.5F/2.0R lift range.

Cornfed suspension has spacer lift options. While some may be technically right regarding certain types of lifts being wrong for certain applications, if you understand that simply adding spacers really only increases the look of capability, and not the actual capability you will be JUST FINE!!

Agreed.
Spacers will just give a wee bit of ground clearance going over things and a little more room for larger tires to swing around.
What spacers will not give you is more suspension travel, e.g. compression and extension that a complete spring, shock and maybe UCA kit will give, but then it sounds like that is not your intent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom