Opinions on T-Stat double gasket

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by aktundra, Feb 10, 2009.

1. aktundra

aktundra

Media:
    Albums:
    I am trying to use thermostat housing on my 2F, that really has had a tough life. I currently have some JB weld curing on the sealing surfaces trying to fill in some past gouging.

This housing only has 2 bolts, This gasket is only paper. Has anybody tried a double paper gasket to help seal?

2. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

If it was mine, I would machine off some material to clean it up. If I did not have access to machine tools, I might try carefully sanding it. I would definitely be using some copper RTV or Toyota FIPG (which is the shiz) on at least the tstat housing side of the gasket

You are talking about the housing to engine head mating surface, right?

3. Coolerman

Coolerman SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I used RTV on both sides of the gasket. My housing(s) were also eroded a bit, but not enough for JB Weld.

No need for a machine shop for sanding aluminum flat. Get a piece of plate glass, like an old mirror or something. Lay a piece of sandpaper on the glass then press the housing flat and start sanding. The glass will help keep the surface flat as you sand. ;)

4. 40's rock

40's rock SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    The last tstat I bought (can't remember if it was toyota or aftermarket) came with a rubber gasket about 1/16". I had to pull housing on the trail and the rubber gasket sealed right back up....cats a**! I would highly recommend it!!

5. ibejamie

ibejamie

Media:
    Albums:
    x2 on the RTV- works great for me- both sides of the gasket. I have the four bolt flange type and actually snapped one while I was reinstalling it- decided to "see what happens" and left it. Not a drop from it in over a year. I will replace the bolts next time around- be sure you use new bolts.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.