T-stat housing question (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bryce112

SILVER Star
Threads
HI, so I ordered a new OEM lower thermostat housing along with the OEM upper thermostat housing. New lower housing does not have the bvsv port on the side. Can I just omit / bypass that or do I need a new / different housing? the old one is kinda beat and already has a helicoil on the one side. pics attached any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_4063.jpeg

IMG_4064.jpeg

You should provide the month year of your unit. I would get the correct part to avoid issues if you aren't having them now. I don't think that insert was installed correctly and they should have done both sides from the looks of it.

Our FJ40 was built in October 1976. Looking at the Partsouq diagrams the part number appears to be 16331 60040 - which is supposed to be from 03/1969 to 01/1979. I'm kinda stumped here. And the part number I received from toyota was 16331 60040.

IMG_4065.jpeg

so, digging further into partsouq - it looks like the correct lower housing may be 16331 - 61030 - which happens to be discontinued. so i guess I'm back to my original question of do i change the housing and bypass the bvsv, try and install a new helicoil in the old housing OR try and drill / tap the new housing to receive the bvsv?

OR - maybe someone has a housing laying around?

received - something to think about the next day or so. thank you very much for your replies.

Well hopefully someone that knows the system will chime in and tell you if the valve is important or can be relocated elsewhere in the cooling system.

I'd definitely be looking to use the new housing, but yea I wouldn't tap it without adding a boss of weld onto it first.

How about moving the valve onto a different port on the head? Maybe tee onto the heater feed for example?

Perhaps this thread is what you were thinking of @cruisermatt ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom