opinions on lifting and slee bumpers on 80 without lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
just curious about your opinions on putting an ome and slee bumpers on my 80 without lockers don't do rockcrawling just long trips that require 4x4, basically expedition style. ordered th phh kit, will let ya'll know how it goes.

Lots of reasons you'd want an OME suspension w/o lockers - and a front bumper w/ winch and rear with tire carrier do make the stock suspension sag. This whole PHH "Kit" cracks me up though - you do realize you paid for 2" of hose and a couple of clamps right?

Tucker

The 80 will still do fine regardless of whether you have front and rear lockers.

I say add the lift and bumpers, take it out wheeling, if you want it to be more capable just add a rear ARB.

supposedly it's a high temp silicone hose and basically a lifetime replacement and i figured for 25$ no biggie.

boekppl said:
supposedly it's a high temp silicone hose and basically a lifetime replacement and i figured for 25$ no biggie.
It does make it easy, just to put it in perspective - I tracked down the hose myself and bought a foot on my first PHH job ... and have since done 4 trucks with it under $25 :D

I'm all about people making a buck though!

Tucker

boekppl said:
just curious about your opinions on putting an ome and slee bumpers on my 80 without lockers don't do rockcrawling just long trips that require 4x4, basically expedition style. ordered th phh kit, will let ya'll know how it goes.

Do it and be done with it...the LC is the most epic vehicle ever made. period.

Back to regularly scheduled programs. ;)

-onur

tucker74 said:
It does make it easy, just to put it in perspective - I tracked down the hose myself and bought a foot on my first PHH job ... and have since done 4 trucks with it under $25 :D

I'm all about people making a buck though!

Tucker

$25 is not bad if you consider the time to track the materials down. I went to 5 different parts stores and consumed about 3 hours of my time looking for the clamps. Time is money.

mooker82 said:
$25 is not bad if you consider the time to track the materials down. I went to 5 different parts stores and consumed about 3 hours of my time looking for the clamps. Time is money.
You don't need those clamps unless you're going w/ silicone - and if you researched it that far you should have ordered them from McMaster-Carr like the FAQ says :rolleyes:

I'm just saying...

Do your PHH. Who cares where the hose/clamps come from -- someone wants to make a buck? More power to him :)

Do the lift and bumpers. You can get a lot done without lockers. Stout front and rear bumpers are always a good thing.

NorCalDoug said:
Do your PHH. Who cares where the hose/clamps come from -- someone wants to make a buck? More power to him :)

Do the lift and bumpers. You can get a lot done without lockers. Stout front and rear bumpers are always a good thing.

What he said :D

Don't forget the sliders!

tucker74 said:
This whole PHH "Kit" cracks me up though - you do realize you paid for 2" of hose and a couple of clamps right?

Tucker

My time driving around (how do I get time off from work to go get a $3 piece of hose anyway) is worth WAY MORE than the $10 markup. Others may value the $10 more but even at 1/2 hour I'd only be clearing $20 an hour.

I think the kit is actaully MAKING me money somehow :doh:

YMMV...

I don't mean to seem contrary but if you don't plan to wheel in the rocks why bother with sliders? I guess it depends on what you mean by expedition wheeling but the argument could also be made that you're wasting money on a rear bumper too, just do the front and get a winch. For (my idea of) expedition wheeling you might be better off with a long range fuel tank, a sturdy roof rack, a rooftop tent, GPS, and an Aussie cup holder. ;)

TJK

What the President says. Oh and he never mentioned sliders, but now that Kaderabek did, They should be your first investment after the lift. Even in expedition wheeling it is very easy ti crush the rockers.
Cheers,
Sean

Kaderabek said:
I don't mean to seem contrary but if you don't plan to wheel in the rocks why bother with sliders? (edit) expedition wheeling you might be better off with a long range fuel tank, a sturdy roof rack, a rooftop tent, GPS, and an Aussie cup holder. ;)

TJK

If you add a long range fuel tank wouldn't you need to move the spare somewhere like a rear bumper? I don't care for the idea of putting the tire on the roof.

Heffenoche said:
If you add a long range fuel tank wouldn't you need to move the spare somewhere like a rear bumper? I don't care for the idea of putting the tire on the roof.

Kumar is one step ahead of you.... :D

TJK

Last edited:
thanks for the input. seems to me that even 2 or 3 wheels on the ground without the diff locks but with the coupler in the t-case would be ok. obviously not as well but sufficient for my needs, please correct me if i'm wrong.

For just long trips I'd go with good body armor, 33" tires, 1" ring spacers and driving lights. Body armor is protection from other weary travelers who can hit yours when parking. A minor lift gives added clearance without threatening driveability or seriously reduceing fuel economy or power. If you carry a lot of luggage, a roof rack helps but I would try to travel light.

Kalawang

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom