Opinions on Jeep TJ's? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my friend is currently stuck between a TJ and a 3rd gen 4runner. Any opinions on the TJ's? Reliability?

I'm far from an expert but I hear the 4.0s are very solid.

Aftermarket support is abundant and much cheaper than LC or even 4R stuff. Tons of used parts.

In the Seattle area, I've seen some well built mall crawlers in really good shape for $10-12k

Depending what he's looking to do with it, TJs offer a lot of value for performance.

Lots of offroading close to home? TJ. Mostly pavement pounding and longer trips for more camping/expedition type offroading? 4runner, any day of the week. Want big tires right away? Unless you really luck out with a rear dana 44 in a TJ, the 4runner is going to handle bigger tires with stock axles. Want to rock crawl? TJ, unless swapping a solid front axle into a 4runner doesn't sound like a major obstacle to you.

I have a 2005 LJ (long wheel base TJ) Rubicon, has D44 axles front and rear with factory air lockers. I agree with what has been said, but it is all relative as well..... my wife, 100 lb. Akita (dog), and I did a road trip/off road camping trip from Virginia to Colorado this past summer. On the road is not nearly as comfortable as our friends new 4R TRD Pro but I also am not $50k in debt and having to pay the personal property tax.... I have a bowless soft top that is pretty quiet, the carpet is still in, and I have hard doors. The road noise is tolerable, the AC is a little lacking (open windows exponentially increase road/wind noise and cause fatigue much more quickly). Off road (mild - moderate trails with rock, mud, tight twists, typical mountain stuff) my LJ did much better than the 4R, mostly due to the 4:1 low range in the T-case, the 6 speed manual with 4.52 (or so) first gear..... and you can not take the top and doors off of a 4R (at least not easily and still put them back on.....;p ) All in all, I like my Jeep better than my friends very nice 4R......

I just traded my 99 TJ for a Lexus GX470. I loved my Jeep. I was running BFG mud terrains on it with a soft top. Noise was so bad couldn't use the phone while driving. Off road it would go anywhere you point it. On road it was a handful. I currently have a 92 Land Cruiser, so that is my dedicated off road rig. When I stepped into the GX, it was like a different world. Wood trim, heated leather seats, sound system, etc...
Still miss the Jeep, but the GX is much improved ride. Sometimes you can find a GX cheaper that a 4Runner. They are kind of under the radar. Mostly used by soccer moms. Very seldom wheeled. It is a Land Cruiser 120 series, so it has a strong 4 wheel drive (for an IFS). On the road it drives like a dream.

Never been a fan of the Jeep TJ's. Even though they have coils and can flex pretty well off the dealer lot, they always felt cheap and unstable to me - especially when lifted.

I would recommend he get a YJ. You can get pretty good flex out of them and they have the same drivetrain as the TJ plus they're cheaper.

My lifted 91 YJ was able to go 95+ down the highway straight...I would never dare do that in a TJ on 33's.

Threat resurrected..... I have a 2003 TJ. It's my convertible. Love it!
There is a PCM unit in the TJ models 2005-2008 that is no longer being manufactured. The units are now starting to have problems. Just an fyi.

I had a few they are a great Jeep , the one thing with the 4.0 inline 6 is the distributor has issues with oil feed , a few companies offer upgrades for that problem .
Besides that great Jeep .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom