Opinion Question AHC replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2006 with 50k miles. I bought it bc that’s what I wanted. The look I want is a 2” lift with 33s (already bought parts) and no other mods. However after careful consideration I am second guessing modding at all because if it’s classic car appeal long term. if I remove the AHC can I keep the parts and it be easily converted back to AHC?

E7ED0A34-6E98-442B-A896-4DDAFBA68EB4.jpeg

Last edited:
From all that I've read on MUD, you can put 33's (275/70/18), on its factory rims with no lift, which means you can keep the AHC as-is.

That'll probably be my next move.

You bought an 06 with 50k miles, assuming mall crawler and not off-road? 33s fit stock in most cases it seems.

Dig through AHC posts, plenty of info on sensor lifts, etc. ABCs of AHC is a good starting point as well. Folks end up loving this system.

No AHC sensor lift is not the high switch mod. You lift the sensors on the underside of the truck. Here is that link

Iirc the AHC hard lines are installed before the body, so it’ll be a bear removing them to reinstall later. Could you cap and save maybe?

It’s not low miles but by LC standards I suppose it is.

You bought an 06 with 50k miles, assuming mall crawler and not off-road? 33s fit stock in most cases it seems.

Dig through AHC posts, plenty of info on sensor lifts, etc. ABCs of AHC is a good starting point as well. Folks end up loving this system.

No AHC sensor lift is not the high switch mod. You lift the sensors on the underside of the truck. Here is that link

Iirc the AHC hard lines are installed before the body, so it’ll be a bear removing them to reinstall later. Could you cap and save maybe?

It’s not low miles but by LC standards I suppose it is.
The entire system can be left on the truck and reactivated later if one wanted to run conventional shocks. Cap the lines running to the (not) shocks and leave everything else in place. Disconnect the pump and remove the relay for the system under the hood (or under the dash, I forget).

I would absolutely not disable AHC for looks on an ultra low-mile 06 LC.

You can do a sensor lift to get an easy 0.5-1" of lift. More if you are willing to spend more effort on it. You'll worsen drivability with every bit of lift, so as a general rule you should run as little lift as you can stand. Aesthetic lifts are for bro-dozers. Embrace the factory stance and the superior handling that comes with it. ;)

Is this where you stay in high mode via a switch? Can I still run 33s?

No, that would be the switch over-ride which is a fruitless mod, IMO. It disabled the speed input so the suspension system think it's parked. You lose most if not all of the dynamic response of the system. It affects much more than just height.

You can run 33's with nothing at all. I run 34's with more aggressive offset wheels and ZERO lift. 33's require nothing. 34's require very minor heating and pushing of the wheel well liner behind the front wheels.

Lifts do not allow you to run larger tires on the 100 series. At all. Not unless you're doing a HUGE lift, well beyond 2". The tire size is limited by the body points around the wheel near the axle height so lifting gets you very little difference in tire fitment.

Put a little work into maintaining AHC and enjoy it. Don't neuter it to pose in the parking lot. :)

I would absolutely not disable AHC for looks on an ultra low-mile 06 LC.

You can do a sensor lift to get an easy 0.5-1" of lift. More if you are willing to spend more effort on it. You'll worsen drivability with every bit of lift, so as a general rule you should run as little lift as you can stand. Aesthetic lifts are for bro-dozers. Embrace the factory stance and the superior handling that comes with it. ;)

No, that would be the switch over-ride which is a fruitless mod, IMO. It disabled the speed input so the suspension system think it's parked. You lose most if not all of the dynamic response of the system. It affects much more than just height.

You can run 33's with nothing at all. I run 34's with more aggressive offset wheels and ZERO lift. 33's require nothing. 34's require very minor heating and pushing of the wheel well liner behind the front wheels.

Lifts do not allow you to run larger tires on the 100 series. At all. Not unless you're doing a HUGE lift, well beyond 2". The tire size is limited by the body points around the wheel near the axle height so lifting gets you very little difference in tire fitment.

Put a little work into maintaining AHC and enjoy it. Don't neuter it to pose in the parking lot. :)
Sage advice.

I’ll sell it to you for 70k

I’ll sell it to you for 75k

Do I hear $80k?…

Dude another AHC fan here, just bought a LC and super easy to maintain to preserve what is an incredible riding system. On-road, off road, it’s fantastic.

Love being able to lift the truck when needed and keep stock/classy height around town.

He’s looking for the brodozER look. Wants that LIFTTTT

Another fan of the AHC system with 33" tires and no issues.

I’ll sell it to you for 75k
Lol. Id rather put a deposit on the new GX. Even with 250k my 07 LX AHC runs flawlessly. Ive spent more time replacing all the diff fluids than doing a full AHC tune up.

In all seriousness, listen to the advice given here. Especially from YotaMD. Domt let this be another “ ask for advice but do what I want anyway” thread.

I ran 33s on stock AHC for a long time. No mods needed. And if you go with a skinny 33, you'll avoid any serious increase in wear and tear over stock. My recommendation is to NOT deactivate AHC. The system works best with regular exercise. Keep the fluid fresh, the pressures in spec, the lines free from rust, maybe replace the globes if needed and the system will last a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom