Operation 9.5" Land Cruiser Axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Swhat is the strength difference between an fj60 and 80 rear axle? And with yours being built what's the biggest tire size you can run?

80 series has bigger brakes, a higher load rating (4000 vs 3000 if I remember right) and a stronger axle housing.

Since mine is a custom housing (even stronger) and has 4340 alloy axle shafts, I would feel comfortable running up to 40" tires on it.

But of course I instead run 35" all terrains as I don't want to push my equipment to the limit.

I know what I'm doing this weekend

View attachment 954574

View attachment 965896 It's slowly coming along...

Sorry, I know just enough about this to be dangerous.

Dumb question:

You ultimately had Diamond axle make you a custom housing. Then used custom axle shafts, a 9.5" Land Cruiser diff, IFS wheel hubs, '86 calipers, and FJ60 brake rotors to build a complete full-float custom rear axle that has a centered diff for the 4Runner/Mini setup? And the Diamond axle came with new spindles already mounted?

It looks awesome!

Edit: I realize you used a variety of donor parts for the wheel hubs and brakes. If I had a spare rear 80 series full float axle with disc brakes that I wanted to use as a donor for a Mini Truck, could Diamond just build me a custom housing and custom shafts? Then I could just swap over all of the 80 series components to the centered Diamond housing? Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Last edited:
@Will Van The axle I had diamond build me this axle using 80 series spindles welded to the housing, with 80 series hubs/brakes. I did basically what your describing: an 80 series axle with a custom housing and shafts for a centered diff.

Last edited:
@Will Van The axle I had diamond build me this axle using 80 series spindles welded to the housing, with 80 series hubs/brakes. I did basically what your describing: an 80 series axle with a custom housing and shafts for a centered diff.
Very cool! Thank you for the explanation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom