ONSC Chat (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Heads up for anyone still using a weather alert radio in Raleigh area.
1616080326891.png

Are you talking about the value of the property or the rate at what the property is taxed?

It's generally the county on both he sets the tax value and millage rate. Local governments can also levy bonds that are a lump sum outside of the rate.

County’s set tax values on real property only. Personal property follows a schedule of values set by the state. Cites, towns, and counties can levy taxes through a tax rate. These rates are set by the elected boards in their jurisdiction. In general the state sets the sales tax rate, but a few local municipalities have the ability to levy a local option sales tax. Municipalities also have the option to levy an occupancy tax on lodging. Income tax is set by the state
This is NC, different states have different rules.

County’s set tax values on real property only. Personal property follows a schedule of values set by the state. Cites, towns, and counties can levy taxes through a tax rate. These rates are set by the elected boards in their jurisdiction. In general the state sets the sales tax rate, but a few local municipalities have the ability to levy a local option sales tax. Municipalities also have the option to levy an occupancy tax on lodging. Income tax is set by the state
This is NC, different states have different rules.
"But I read in the internet that a cabal of witches led by a winged goat using space lasers.... " Anyway, that up there is an educated answer, thank you Patrick. Also Counties can add fees, like solid waste disposal fees, by property type.

"But I read in the internet that a cabal of witches led by a winged goat using space lasers.... " Anyway, that up there is an educated answer, thank you Patrick. Also Counties can add fees, like solid waste disposal fees, by property type.

I just had my house appraised last September. Union County just did a property re-evaluation and they set my home's tax value higher than my appraisal from four months prior. Not just a little higher either...like $30K higher!

Union County has put me in the exact same position with ridiculous tax valuations of my cruiser junk. Seemingly out of the blue from one tax cycle to the next, one of my trucks will be assigned an insane tax value. The last one increased 500 percent from one year to the next. Of course, the way around that is to have the vehicle tagged as an antique, which I did. If only I could do that with my house! It's old enough. It would qualify.

Last edited:
I just had my house appraised last September. Union County just did a property re-evaluation and they set my home's tax value higher than my appraisal from four months prior. Not just a little higher either...like $30K higher!

Union County has put me in the exact same position with ridiculous tax valuations of my cruiser junk. Seemingly out of the blue from one tax cycle to the next, one of my trucks will be assigned an insane tax value. The last one increased 500 percent from one year to the next. Of course, the way around that is to have the vehicle tagged as an antique, which I did. If only I could do that with my house. It's old enough. It would qualify!
Dave,
You can appeal the value till may I think. It goes before the board of equalization and review. And typically when the values go up, the tax rate goes down. The tax rate will be part of the budget process. The other benefit to the reval is that since vehicles are taxed at 100% value every year, your tax bill on vehicles will go down because of the lower tax rate. The appeal process is fairly painless so you should do it if you think it’s too high.

City of Charlotte does it the smart way. They raise taxes and tell you about it by sending you a notice after the time to contest it is over. That way they can claim a zero complaint rate. Genius.

Dave,
You can appeal the value till may I think. It goes before the board of equalization and review. And typically when the values go up, the tax rate goes down. The tax rate will be part of the budget process. The other benefit to the reval is that since vehicles are taxed at 100% value every year, your tax bill on vehicles will go down because of the lower tax rate. The appeal process is fairly painless so you should do it if you think it’s too high.
Damn right I'm appealing it!

My house went up 77% in value since the last revaluation, it’s a lot but it’s also right in line for what I would list it for sale. Homes in Union County do not last long in the market currently.

My house went up 77% in value since the last revaluation, it’s a lot but it’s also right in line for what I would list it for sale. Homes in Union County do not last long in the market currently.
Congrats on having a home that will appraise at or above the tax value. I am no longer a member of that club.

I’ll crawl back in my hole..

I’ll crawl back in my hole..
Dude, I apologize for sounding snippy. I meant no disrespect. It's just frustrating that the County seems to think that everything I own is worth more to them than it is to the rest of the world. My property valuation is up 78.2 percent, so similar to yours, except that I doubt that my house would sell for their assessed value and that pisses me off. Good thing I'm not planning to sell any time soon. Like others have said, I guess it could be worse.

Different state, but when I was in VT, I was a Selectman and chaired the Board of Civil Authority in Rutland town (property tax board). The idea that a bank/sales appraisal is, or should be, the same as a tax appraisal is a common misconception. They are theoretically related, but are two totally different animals that serve two different purposes. When looking at your tax appraisal forget the whole “what I could sell my house for” argument. It’s a dead end. All tax appraisals are part of the public record and every town has a grand list. What you need to know, if you want to appeal successfully, is how you compare to other houses in your neighborhood or similar neighborhoods of similar vintage and quality. If you are high, then you have an appeal case. If you’re in line, then your assessment is fair and it’ll all wash out in the rate x appraisal equation.
As a warning, I don’t know the specifics of NC, but in VT, if you appealed the board could schedule a sight visit to validate your claim. If the board determined you had been assessed too low relative others your appeal could result in an INCREASE.

Different state, but when I was in VT, I was a Selectman and chaired the Board of Civil Authority in Rutland town (property tax board). The idea that a bank/sales appraisal is, or should be, the same as a tax appraisal is a common misconception. They are theoretically related, but are two totally different animals that serve two different purposes. When looking at your tax appraisal forget the whole “what I could sell my house for” argument. It’s a dead end. All tax appraisals are part of the public record and every town has a grand list. What you need to know, if you want to appeal successfully, is how you compare to other houses in your neighborhood or similar neighborhoods of similar vintage and quality. If you are high, then you have an appeal case. If you’re in line, then your assessment is fair and it’ll all wash out in the rate x appraisal equation.
As a warning, I don’t know the specifics of NC, but in VT, if you appealed the board could schedule a sight visit to validate your claim. If the board determined you had been assessed too low relative others your appeal could result in an INCREASE.
So...was Bernie going to pick you as running mate?

Oh man!
****in’ Bernie. No s***, he nearly ran Sarah over with his Prius one night. She was down town in Rutland going to some debates. As she crossed the street, some deranged old bastard in a Prius nearly hit her. That deranged old bastard was the man with the mittens, Bernie Sanders.
It was really a PITA. VT has These crazy school funding laws around social equity that force some towns to pay for other towns. I can’t tell you how many times at the dump, after being yelled at, I had to explain that our town and school district had REDUCED our spending and all the tax increases were based on the state formula.

So no, Bernie, VT progressives, and me do not see eye to eye.

Really I loved living in VT, but I hate what the VT state gov’t is doing to the place.

Thanks . The basis of my question is that something has to be done about property taxes. Quick. They are drunk with power and money.
How it got to this, I will never understand (except, I do understand.....its frightening the amount of bending over 'we' will do)

Who in their right mind went along with a program that 'taxes' something you already own, paid with after-tax dollars, every year.....and if you don't pay, it will be taken away from you?! BUT I PAID FOR IT AND WAS TAXED AT THAT TRANSACTION.

And what does the perceived 'value' of what I own, maybe for decades, have to do with anything? Just because my house may be 'worth' a bit more on the free market, why should I suffer? I don't need more schools and more police and twice a week trash collection now because I live in a 'hot' neighborhood. More people means more sales and overall more tax revenue....let the new people pay into the existing system....don't penalize me.
And my 40 year old Cruiser, that is hardly driven, is not doing more harm to the roads than it was last year.....so why do I have to pay more into the system? A $2000 car that is driven every day does no more harm that a $30k car of the same size. What does the 'value have to do with anything? At WORST we should all pay the same. The MAN would know how many cars are on the road, how much each person will pay, so they can budget accordingly. THEN get your weighted tag if you need it.

Again....how did normal people sit back and take this?
What if they came and taxed the amount of food or gas or clothes or guns or lawn equipment or whatever you bought last year....year over year under threat of jail or force. It makes no gosh darn sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom