Builds One World, One LX Build Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1world1love

SILVER Star
Threads
While I have never really thought about doing a build thread, I have recently had a couple of requests to compile one and figured that I'd oblige. Also, I have exhausted other ways to spend my free time these days. Hopefully something I post in here will be as useful to somebody as the many things I have found useful in other's threads. There are a couple of things that I will mention for full disclosure:

• Along with the truck mods, I may also post about trips, gear, and other related content. I usually post pics in the LX pic thread and occasionally to some of the other threads and I will still do that, but I usually take more pics than I post (even though I feel like I post a lot of pics) and I may post the extras in here.

• Sometimes my sense of humor is not as keen as I think it is. On the other hand, I never take myself too seriously. For anybody reading this thread, it's probably best not to take me too seriously either.

• I am not a mechanic and not much of a car enthusiast generally speaking. I am pretty handy though and I am perfectly happy to attempt some things, but some things I'd rather leave to the professionals. I am always impressed at folks that can dig in and attempt major mods on their own. I know that for a lot of people, that is half the fun. I do not judge anybody negatively who doesn't. Not everybody has the time, money, space, tools, experience, etc. I probably fall somewhere in between. If I say something stupid or wrong, feel free to correct me. I've got pretty thick skin and It's all part of the learning experience.

• This first post will be kind of wordy. Sorry about that. The TLDR is - I bought a 200 series.

My base vehicle on Day 1 (officially the cleanest it will ever be with me as owner):

IMG_6147.jpg

I had been looking at 200s for about a year before I got serious about buying one. Like many on here, a Land Cruiser has been my dream vehicle for a long time. While my grandfather was always into Jeeps, my uncle broke with tradition one day and came home in a FJ60 when I was about 11. He loaded us up and we took it into the mountains for a week long camping trip. That's pretty much all it took.

In the intervening years, I have spent huge swaths of time backpacking as my primary outdoor recreation. As the years have caught up with my knees though, my ability to carry a week's worth of supplies up and down rugged terrain has diminished. In addition, we decided a few years ago to move out west. We found ourselves wanting to experience more of the vast, remote wilderness that exists in the western US. I made the argument to my wife that with a proper vehicle, we could get into the kind of remote places that we were used to when we were backpacking. She apparently saw the wisdom in that argument. Either that, or she realized that it was a mid-life crisis and the alternative was that I would run out and buy a completely impractical sports car.

Whatever the case, she agreed that our quality of life would improve if we had a Land Cruiser. As long as we didn't buy new, she was all in. So we looked, and looked, and looked. We looked at probably a dozen LCs which were all either over our budget, or not worth what was being asked. One day my wife asked me about the LX. There were quite a few more on the market and they all seemed to be lower mileage and lower priced. I hadn't considered an LX, mainly because it was a Lexus and I equated that with the country club set. We did a little research and then went to test drive a 2015 CPO. We were blown away at how much better shape it was in for the money. We were about to pull the trigger on it when my wife called me and told me about a single owner 2013 that just popped up at the local CarMax. We immediately went to test drive it.

106k miles, all serviced at a local dealer. Owner was an older gentleman (lawyer) who had lost the ability to drive and his out of state daughter dropped it off at CarMax and took him back east with her. The only ding on the service history was the all-too-familiar diff lock flashing light at around 76k. Mechanic's notes says the owner was accidentally hitting the diff lock button while trying to turn off the vehicle. Who knows, but it checked out fine at the dealership before purchase.

The PO's daughter dropped off the car on a Friday. We drove it on Monday. Picked it up on Thursday. On Friday, I had 285/55/20 KO2s installed and we headed up to Seqouia NF. The Buck Rock Jeep trail was the first offroad this thing ever saw. Unfortunately, it was cold with periods of snow and freezing rain. There was quite a bit of fog and so while we hiked up to the Buck Rock Fire Tower, it was useless. If you haven't been to Buck Rock, it is quite an experience.

IMG_6157.jpg

IMG_6161.jpg
IMG_6163.jpg

The next major mod was the Front Runner rack. For anyone contemplating a rack replacement, see this thread:

The long and short is: when removing the OEM mounts, loosen each bolt a little bit at a time, because if you just remove one and then the other, you are likely to either break the plastic sleeves or have it fall into the headliner.

IMG_6207.jpg

IMG_6222.jpg

For the record, I have been very happy with the FR rack. It has been a solid piece of hardware that is extremely versatile. It is pretty utilitarian as far as looks goes, but man, what a workhorse.

I will post quite a bit more about the FR rack as time goes on. For most people, a roof rack is usually one of the first, and can be one of the more expensive mods that they add. They are great because you can strap a lot of stuff up there that maybe you don't want in the cab. Or maybe things that are too big for the cab. It's also a platform for lights, solar, sleeping, water, etc. A good rack can really expand the utility of your vehicle.

I will say here though, that a lot of folks do quite a lot with an OEM rack. I consider the LX OEM rack to be inadequate for most purposes and so if you are going to stick with OEM but want to make better use of your roof capacity, you might consider the LC OEM rails and cross bars. I've heard that Eric at Ed Martin's Toyota has a surplus of takeoffs and will give you a good deal, but I have no experience. YMMV.

In any case, as I said, I have gotten a lot of use out of the FR rack. There are a tone of accessories available for it, and of course, you can always roll your own since it accommodates standard metric hardware. I have a few of the FR accessories which I will get into, but one that I got early on which has been great is the Thule cross bar adapter:

IMG_6567.jpg

It wasn't that expensive and really expands the accessory market since you can use any Thule-like hardware.

You can also see one of my pet peeves about the FR rack - the powder coating is not very robust. I made this scratch with a wrench while attaching the Thule adapter. I have made a few more in other places without much effort. Oddly, I have also been pretty rough with it in other situations and it has seemingly withstood much worse, so I am not sure what to make of it.

Still, I as you can probably tell, I am much more of a function over form kinda guy so....

about time! keep it coming!

As soon as the rack was installed, my wife requested an awning. A common theme in this build is maximizing utility while minimizing weight. I knew that we didn’t need massive coverage and I didn’t want to immediately consume a chunk of our roof carrying capacity. I also didn’t want to drop a ton of cash.

After some research, we actually decided to get a Front Runner awning. I know that FR is not known for awnings, but we had a chance to see one in person and decided it was perfect for us. It is the 2 meter long version which is fairly small. The awning and mounts were about 250$ plus change at the time. There are also screens and walls available.

I will say that while you can probably find nicer awnings, it is well made, sturdy, and relatively easy to set up. I can do it on my own unless there is a decent wind. We have easily gotten our $250 worth of use out of it and it still looks brand new.

632242D7-B014-46E6-9E6D-DD92639C2B20.jpeg

We took a trip down to a place called Prewitt Ridge, which for those not familiar with the area is one of the ridges that runs parallel to the California coastline in Big Sur. This area is part of the Los Padres National Forest and runs aside the Ventana Wilderness with offroad trails and dispersed camping high above the rugged pacific coast.

It used to be one of the best camping experiences in the world. Sadly, it has been ruined by selfish jackasses that literally refuse to clean up their own s**t. As such, the forest service had no choice but to close down the ridge because of the hazards caused by a proliferation of human waste.

Maybe one day it will be available for use without the abuse. The views are spectacular even though you can rarely See the ocean from the fog.

Cone Peak in the distance:

6FD8BBA1-D8EB-464A-AEF4-F06FAEB57CA4.jpeg

The truck blends in nicely:

48D1EE04-E8CB-4DE2-8AC0-6CFDC5B34A80.jpeg

573A44BD-C630-411B-99A3-788014E6425A.jpeg

My oh my:

5CF087EE-E5F8-4CC0-91FE-548EC7B12863.jpeg

and our camp visitor:

E32DC101-0A67-4D9B-ABB5-7E51F240E0BE.jpeg

Nice looking LX and off to a great start. Looking forward to more!

Thanks! To be fair though, this is more of a retrospective. The truck looks a lot different today than back then. It might take me a few days to get caught up to the current state though.

Thanks! To be fair though, this is more of a retrospective. The truck looks a lot different today than back then. It might take me a few days to get caught up to the current state though.

I suppose it's time to refresh my eye prescription. Just noticed your avatar.

I am always interested in seeing people's camp setups and what gear they find useful and not. I find packing for trips to be a tiresome balancing act between comfort, weight, safety, necessity, etc.

We are a family of 4 +dog and while we still travel with a "backpacking" mindset, it is amazing how quickly the truck fills up. I don't like packing the truck such that I cannot see at least a little bit out of the rear window. Even with everything strapped down, it is just not safe to travel with a vehicle packed to the gills like that. The roof rack helps, but I also don't want to roll into camp looking like the Beverly Hillbillies.

When the kids were younger/smaller, we had a relatively compact Kelty Discovery 4 tent. It has been our car camping tent for a long time and has been very dependable and is a great value. I wouldn't recommend it for very inclement weather, but it has been fine for most 3 season uses and the occasional unexpected storm.

IMG_2109.jpg

Tight quarters:

IMG_0015.jpg

As our kids have grown, we started also carrying our backpacking tent which is an REI Quarter-Dome 2 person. The wife and kids end up in the Kelty, while me and the dog are relegated to the "guesthouse'.

He looks guilty of something:

IMG_0014.jpg

I know that REI can be polarizing, but I like to support companies that make good products and stand behind those products. When it comes to tents, there aren't many "mom and pop" options anyways, so it is a "pick your poison". REI makes really high-quality tents that are quite a bit less expensive than comparable products from other large retailers. The Quarter-Dome is a prime example. We have used ours in all 4 seasons in all kinds of terrain (50 MPH winds and freezing rain at 12k feet can get interesting).

This is not that though ;)

IMG_9596.jpg

These are typical for how we usually setup camp:

6F2DD65D-D39E-405B-AF65-1D883EE7839E-14642-000014C07E106965.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

I always struggle with table space and cooking. As far as tables, we have everything from standard folding tables to lightweight Helinox. Still, it is something we debate for every trip.

For cooking, we used to only carry our tiny Primus backpacking stove, but now we carry a Camp Chef Teton stove which is pretty small but has two 10k burners. I love the Weber Q1200 grill and would like to always carry it, but it is one of those things that you wouldn't want on the roof, and you wouldn't want in the cab. So we usually only take it when we are going to use the hitch carrier.

IMG_8353.jpg

I love the Weber Q1200 grill and would like to always carry it, but it is one of those things that you wouldn't want on the roof, and you wouldn't want in the cab. So we usually only take it when we are going to use the hitch carrier.
I don't know if you can still find one, but I used to use my Thermos Grill2Go cover on my original Weber Q. I know it has been discontinued for a while but something similar would really help with the transport of the Weber in the vehicle if needed.
Thermos Grill2Go Cover

I don't know if you can still find one, but I used to use my Thermos Grill2Go cover on my original Weber Q. I know it has been discontinued for a while but something similar would really help with the transport of the Weber in the vehicle if needed.
Thermos Grill2Go Cover

That's a good idea. I haven't considered cover bags from other manufacturers. All of these portable grills have about the same shape and size. It's really just to keep the mess at bay anyways. In a pinch we have even used one of those big blue plastic bags from Ikea. It actually fits perfectly, but of course it's not closable.

Finding room for it in truck is another matter altogether.....

Love the commentary here with thoughts and reasons that goes into that way you camp. I'm really missing the outdoors and a good roaring campfire. Going from camping 1-2 times a month to nothing in the last 3 months.

Having cooked for 50 people at regular group camp-outs with the full complement of BBQ, griddle/cooktop, stove top, campfire, pizza oven... to cooking for my immediate family of 4... My go to cooking appliance nowadays is a Blackstone 22" flat griddle when just with my family

It's such a versatile and compact tool. No need messing with separate pots and pans. A huge cooking surface/capacity. Quick and easy cleanup. With a few disposable aluminum serving tins, I can steam, braise, cook just about anything and everything. With a tiny portable propane bottle top burner and mocha pot for coffee and hot drinks.

1591135128195.png

Keep the blogging coming!

Last edited:
Love the commentary here with thoughts and reasons that goes into that way you camp. I'm really missing the outdoors and a good roaring campfire. Going from camping 1-2 times a month to nothing in the last 3 months.

Thanks. As you know, its constant evolution. You find some things that work and stick with them, but more often than not, every trip is a chance to try different things....or maybe try things differently.

Having cooked for 50 people at regular group camp-outs with the full complement of BBQ, cooktop, stove top, campfire, pizza oven... to cooking for my immediate family of 4... My go to cooking appliance nowadays is a Blackstone 22" cooktop when just with my family

It's such a versatile tool. No need messing with separate pots and pans. A huge cooking surface/capacity. Quick and easy cleanup. With a few disposable aluminum serving tins, I can also steam, braise, cook just about anything and everything. With a small portable stove and mocha pot for coffee and hot drinks.
View attachment 2327783

Keep the blogging coming!

Interesting. How do you transport it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom