One of these U-bolt plates is not like the others - thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4+ plates use the smaller diameter pins. They match the 60's but not the 62's. Easy fix to swap shock mount bushing for 62 owners.

As previously stated, OEM RH extended plate is to accommodate factory cable locker.

4+ plates use the smaller diameter pins. They match the 60's but not the 62's. Easy fix to swap shock mount bushing for 62 owners.

As previously stated, OEM RH extended plate is to accommodate factory cable locker.
4plus also has metal sleeves that fit over their skinny shock mount pins as an option to increase diameter, I have them.

Probably easier to find the correct shock bushings…fewer pieces, etc.

Fwiw the change in diameter wasn't 60 -> 62 but rather 1985 i.e. late model FJ60's still have the 19mm pins.

I personally don't believe there was a difference in the u-bolt plates for the cable locker variants, the EPC doesn't support a part number change. I've got both out in the parking lot so I'll go measure my cable locked JDM HJ612 vs a US FJ62.

Fwiw the change in diameter wasn't 60 -> 62 but rather 1985 i.e. late model FJ60's still have the 19mm pins.

I personally don't believe there was a difference in the u-bolt plates for the cable locker variants, the EPC doesn't support a part number change. I've got both out in the parking lot so I'll go measure my cable locked JDM HJ612 vs a US FJ62.

I've had an '86 and 2 '87 60's and all had the skinny pins and neither had the reinforcing crossbar. That's not an argument; just 3 data points. Every USA 62 I've had (6) and the JDM 61 had the beefier plates and the matching dog-legged shock mount crossmember.

It would be interesting to find a non-USA pre-87 locked 60.

The 4Plus U-bolt flip kit arrived this weekend. It went on just fine, but the shock mounts are indeed 16mm and not 19mm like the bushings I received with my OME kit. It's not the fault of Cruiser Outfitters, they provided the right size bushings for what was supposed to be on an '87 chassis. Now I'm back to waiting for parts. Hopefully the ones I ordered will fit and I can get my Cruiser back on the road!

Last edited:
I drove without shocks for a few weeks. Ride was much smoother but bouncy on the bumps and not fun on the freeway- but manageable.

I drove without shocks for a few weeks. Ride was much smoother but bouncy on the bumps and not fun on the freeway- but manageable.
If a blizzard were on the way, I'd throw the tires back on and drive it to work. Since there isn't, I'd rather not spoil the first shakedown with all the new parts!

The gnarliest cruise(s) to work this winter was a rain-on-snow event followed by a hard freeze. In the morning there was 20" of fluffy snow and the Cruiser glided through it. By the evening, it had turned to 5" of packed slush. It took twenty minutes to make it up the 3/4 mile long road to my house... The next morning, the whole mess (and a pair of Land Cruiser shaped ruts) had frozen solid. Instead of fighting the steering wheel, I put it in the ruts, and kept it in 1st gear/4 low and let go of the steering wheel to let it saw back and forth as it spent about half a mile being an impressively good slot car.

The 4Plus U-bolt flip kit arrived this weekend. It went on just fine, but the shock mounts are indeed 16mm and not 19mm like the bushings I received with my OME kit. It's not the fault of Cruiser Outfitters, they provided the right size bushings for what was supposed to be on an '87 chassis. Now I'm back to waiting for parts. Hopefully the ones I ordered (Energy 9.8107) will fit and I can get my Cruiser back on the road!

We've got bushings that convert the existing OME shocks to the 16mm pin @ Cruiser Outfitters. Super easy fix.

I can attest to the US-spec rear leaf spring plates changing for 1985 and later 60 Series trucks. When I ordered my OME kit from you for my 1983 truck it took Chris, Bryce, and I a while to figure out why the leaf pack wasn't fitting ... turns out I had post-85 plates for whatever reason. On top of that, post-85 got the rubber isolators which I'm absolutely convinced do NOT work with OME stuff. Y'all sent me the center pin bushing in a hurry and gave me lots of advice on working around my weird anomaly, though. Yet another reason I keep sending what feels like half my paycheck to Utah every month.

As for how that US-spec FJ60 change in 85 affects world-market diesels, I don't know. I'll let the experts keep talking.

We've got bushings that convert the existing OME shocks to the 16mm pin @ Cruiser Outfitters. Super easy fix.
I'm going to have to order a set of those. The bushings I ordered did not fit the shocks, but it was only a $5 gamble.

I'm going to have to order a set of those. The bushings I ordered did not fit the shocks, but it was only a $5 gamble.

OMEB11. We can ship tomorrow no problem!

Howdy!

I'm doing an OME lift to my '86 HJ60. The front's done, and now I'm on to the rear. After getting the U-bolt plates off to clean them up and paint them, the one on the rear right is not quite right!

View attachment 2945213

Do you think it's a good idea to keep using this part or are there better options available?

Thanks!
Phil
The left beefier one is from a 70 series, the right one from a 60.

The left beefier one is from a 70 series, the right one from a 60.

Left is a 6x one with the 23030 rubber isolator stuck on.

60 series
Rear right 48046-60052...so rare I can't even find a pic of it
1690290845703.png

Here's a rear left that Cruiserparts has listed, but mis labeled - this for left side not right.
The rear seats are unobtainium so they are expensive if you find them
1690288320343.png

Whereas front is cheap and easy to find, but it is different from rear. $29 from Amayama

1690288582163.png

Only fits 60 series

1690287152352.png

Here's for a 70 rear. Shock absorber behind axle, on 60 it is in front. May work on a 60 if you turn it around, the u-bolts appear to be the same.

1690288800683.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom