One light bright, the others dim. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jvazquez53

El Tractor
Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
I looked all over the forum and did not found anything on this problem. One light (low beam) working normal. The rest all come on at the same time (the other low an the high beams) all very dim. The high beams stay dim and the dash indicator doesn't even come on. I checked all the bulbs, the two grounds in the front. Are there any other grounds related to the headlights? If not, what else could be going on??? The two cut wires are for the headlight pigtail. The two black ones are the pigtail for the headlight. If they are disconnected, the working headlight works as it supposed. If I don't get any ideas, tomorrow the truck goes to the electric shop.
Light ground 1.jpg
Ground 2.jpg
Light ground 1.jpg

Relays, switch, harness or combination thereof. I'd start with replacing the relays and getting a Slee headlight harness. Neither of which would require paying a shop.

The red and the white/black wire shows continuity, on the good headlight it does not...

@jvazquez53

When I had a dim headlight, it ended up being a dirty fuse connection. It drove me crazy for a while as it would start working when I popped the hood. One day I was able to sneak up on it and when I touched the fuse, bingo, it came up to full brightness.

Like you, I suspected and kept going after the ground connections.

Oh, and mine also had the one bright, three dim s*** you describe. If you look at the EWD you will see why. And that's another reason I was going after the grounds.

It's the fuse.

The slee harness wont solve it, the short has to be fixed first...

Resurrecting an old post here as I had a similar issue on my FJ80 that prior owner couldn’t figure out.

1) no low beams, but all lights come on with stalk forward for high beams (no high beam light on dash)

2) replaced both H4 for low beams and both H1 for high beams. (Mine is an import RHD from Australia - seems like US versions have different bulbs). With new bulbs, now I’ve got the dim bulb on one side

3) replaced both 5a fuses under hood for headlights. Relay on order…

4) Answer seems to be new bulbs and new fuses - voila all works as it should.

5) I have a receipt from prior owner from a shop he paid hundreds to for a fix for this, and they couldn’t so suggested he simply drive with high beams on all the time with low beams unplugged. 😎

Bad ground

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom