One for the experts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Catching Neutral

GOLD Star
Threads
So I have had my 40 for just over a month now and I am still working my way through it. The brakes were scary at first but new brake pads and a bleed job resolved the problems. Therefore I am now putting more miles on it. Valves carb and timing have been done as well. Post 22742 from 1/11. I have noticed that between speeds of 35-40 mph it runs really rough. This is frustrating since I live within about 10 miles of work and most of my children’s activities which results in spending a lot of time running between These speeds. As soon as I pass 40 mph it smooths out beautifully. Any of you experts mind chiming in.
Thanks and regards,
Lance

Good question. It feels to me like the motor is running rough.

5/78....I believe it’s electronic ignition. My first thought was vacuum advance/timing also.

Lots of vacuum lines. Cali spec with intact smog equipment

When you say "carb and timing has been done", what does that mean?

I did a valve adjustment (not my first time) found 3 tight valves. Then adjusted fast idle 1800, idle speed 650,
Idle mixture to max vacuum. Then set timing . Timing is set about 8 degrees TDC.

As the thread title implies I am no expert however I did all of these things on a previously owned 79 model. Had it running like a top. Differences include that 40 was desmogged and had a trollhole carb. Timing was advanced to 10 degrees BTDC if I remember correctly.
Vacuum on this 2F is steady at 17.5

was thinking of doing a desmog in the future. Given the amount of vacuum lines that would eliminate, perhaps I should consider moving that process up on the list of things to do.

Depending on smog laws in your state and the year of your vehicle, yep, if you can do it legally. Do not throw one bit of smog equipment away. Place in a box and store it. When you sell the vehicle (we all do sooner or later) you can include it with the sale. And yes, that could be your problem. That old smog equipment was crude even when new. Get er' gone

Exempt in Florida, copy on saving components and thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom