"On road" handling differences with locker in the rear? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiser_guy said:
So what happens if you do? This is the sort of info I'm looking for.
it gets a bit herky jerky on ya...kinda like when you first learned to drive stick

nuclearlemon said:
it gets a bit herky jerky on ya...kinda like when you first learned to drive stick

Which is made worse in my rig by the 4.56s combined with 33in tires. It mostly happens when you start to coast through a corner, then have to hit the gas for whatever reason. Definetly "herky jerky". Easy to compensate for, easy to correct by just applying throttle pressure.

When I said my wife was turned loose and she had no complaints, you dont realize how significant this was. She has been driving her Range Rover that is very stock exclusively for over a year. I dont think she has driven my 60 more then ten times in two years and never with the locker and gears. I was out of town in her truck so she had no choice. Used it all day to run errands in town. doctor and dentist appointments, taking and picking up kids... the works. If it was hard to drive or unbearable, TRUST me I would have heard about it.

nuclearlemon said:

Yeah, like that. You get knocks and noises all through your drivetrain, too. I took my family to Death Valley camping for a week right after installing mine, and, fully loaded, with mushy old springs, it was downright terrifying driving through the Sierras and all the windy narrow roads. The understeer and all does take some getting used to. You should definately learn the quirks before tearing down mountain roads. Offroad, though, boy what a difference! At the end of that week I was pretty used to it. Then we had to cross the Sierras in a blizzard to get home (knew I should have brought my snowboard...). So, my vote, slight loss of onroad manners, great offroad.

nial

Stinky...

My wife drove mine for the first time too recently, because of broken-down primary vehicle, no complaints, and I, too would have heard about it...

nial

cruiser_guy said:

Is there any problems with a locked front when there is no power steering? I'm not really interested in power steering anyways.

Depends on how tight your steering box is. I have almost two identical rigs except for the mods. The steering box has been full rebuild on Clyde and it still way looser than the stock steering box on Bonnie.

However, I prefer to have the loose steering on Clyde because when I 4x4 I'm not reving enought to benefit from the power steering.

Having a locker in the front ... your arms will get bigger.

Just after I had both lockers installed I was out 4x4 in West Virginia with a buddy and navigated a mud hole incorrectly. The truck go seriously stuck(for me). Basically we had to climb out the windows because the truck was in so deep all the doors were pinned shut. Literally the rocker panels were buried.

My buddy wips out a cooking stove and starts making dinner. He thought we were camping there for the night.

A moment later I drove the truck out of the mud bog.

Full on lockers ... Very impressive.

Cahil

I mean the point is, how you drive, if you drive easy and soft .. fine, you can go all the way with rear automatic locker .. but when you need to get a fas from 0 aceleration, turning start your problems .. is th same thing when you clkim a big hill with a lots of turns.

Cahlic..

I agree...If you think you have gotten in hairy spots OPEN wait how far a locked rig will get you and the insane places you will get stuck :D

YEp, if you wanna get stuck GOOD, get a locker ;)

no s***. if you manage to get stuck with a locker than i guess you are fawked huh

Mace said:
YEp, if you wanna get stuck GOOD, get a locker ;)

Now that's funny...

Not to argue with the knowledge on here... but I've got a lockrite in the rear and I was really excited about the fishtails I could do now with the lock rite and the 350 :D . But I have trouble getting BOTH rear tires loose as I feel like one would have been easier. I've only had it for 8 months but many miles on gravel with no trouble.

I love my locker... on and off road.

Chris

I agree. Even get the winch before a lift. I almost got stuck without salvation with my stocker. I'd get a winch first, unless I am limited on money.

:beer:

lowtideride said:
Cahlic..

I agree...If you think you have gotten in hairy spots OPEN wait how far a locked rig will get you and the insane places you will get stuck :D

I can see it comming.

I was going down this one trail in West Virginia. Stopped, got out and looked and didn't like my line. So simply put it in reverse and backed up. That backup wouldn't have happened without lockers.

Cheers,
Cahil

I was at last stretch of Lower 2 and the fear set in and i had to talk my self calm....that trail kicked my ass. Boulders under, berfore,behind my tires, sitting on the frame, peeing my pants, thinking it was a blast, blow drive shaft, shot nirves, biggest smile on my face, rocks higher than the ARB....oh boy being locked is a diffrent story..

:beer: :beer:
locker.jpg
locker 2.jpg
locker 3.jpg

lol

You need bigger tires ;)

Winches are nice...

Those are 35s and yes I need bigger tires...at least a set of 37s. The most trouble I had is when there was a rock ledge in the front set of tires and in the rear, and both ledges were more than vertical and much bigger than the tires...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom