On board CO2: a killer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

spressomon said:
Fill it with NO2...and if it leaks you can just laugh it off :grinpimp:

Very nice! Not quite LOL but most def. smiling :D (I think the preference would be for NO though.....)

I do quite abit of air sampling and have a very nice data loggin instrument that can monitor and log CO2....Send me a full system...I will blow through several tanks under a variety of conditions and report back with lots of scientific data. I'll even pay to recharge the cylinder a few times. (Note....I will not be sending the apparatus back - it is the cost of the testing :D )

Hmmmmm...If I were sleeping in my rig in the winter with the windows up with my wife. would she and I generate enough CO2 to drive the available O2 below say.....19.5 %? (we'd need less but its a useful # with lots of data to back it up) add your leaking CO2 cylinder under the same conditions (low air exchange) and you just might be able to create a hazardous scenario....If you really try....What does the manufacturer say?

Like pimps dog I would very likely also wet the seat if a charged tank of CO2, compressed air, (pretty much anything pressurized) blew as I was driving along or hanging out in my truck....I just think there's alot of air exchange that will accomodate the hazard that the cylinder presents...

Personally I think the hazards associated with carrying a cylinder in the cabin are good to be understood and accomodated with robust method of securing the cylinder. I'd worry much more about the physical energy associated with the cylinder than the atmospheric impact of an incidental or controlled release of the contents.....I still think the Nitrous oxide (NO) scenario would be interesting....

I'm still thinking about NO and picturing peter sellers in one of those pink panther movies where he is sampling lots of NO and melting off his face :D

Well, I have seen CO2 about kill someone in a vehicle as a matter of fact, in the dry ice form. Woman was driving home from picking berries, had 3-4 foam coolers in the trunk of her Honda. They had wrapped the coolers w/duct tape but when she closed the trunk it pushed a lid off. Anyway, we got the call as a woman slumped over the wheel on the side of the interstate. When we opened the door of the car it was cold as hell and she was blue and unresponsive, I forget what her oxygen sat. was. It took a few minutes and she started screaming and fighting and once oxygen was applied she came around.

Very strange call, she had the knife she had used to pick berries w/between the seats (had berry juice on it looking like blood), and when we opened the trunk I figured her old man was in those coolers.

FirstToy said:
agreed Cory. Actually I was telling the Moderator who started this thread... who should know better... ;)

we mods know better than to worry about searching for stuff... we've got lives to live... :rolleyes:

well, OK, maybe not..... :D

ff347 said:
Well, I have seen CO2 about kill someone in a vehicle as a matter of fact, in the dry ice form. Woman was driving home from picking berries, had 3-4 foam coolers in the trunk of her Honda. They had wrapped the coolers w/duct tape but when she closed the trunk it pushed a lid off. Anyway, we got the call as a woman slumped over the wheel on the side of the interstate. When we opened the door of the car it was cold as hell and she was blue and unresponsive, I forget what her oxygen sat. was. It took a few minutes and she started screaming and fighting and once oxygen was applied she came around.

snip

yup, exactly what I was talking about...

ERic if there was an award for "thinking of the most random worst case situations" you my friend would take the prize. Interesting thread, but g-d who thinks of this? You should write a book or something. :) Enjoyed reading the different comments though.

MY $ C .02
:beer: , need one after this thread.

Sweet dreams to all those sleeping in rigs with C02 bottles.

Sam

What I would consider the biggest hazard is the one that no one has mentioned.

If you have the bottle stored where it can discharge toward someone if the relief valve blows, you may be looking at potential for severe frostbite. Most people will probably move the heck out of the way pretty quickly. But a kid secured in a car seat or a pet restrained in a carrier or by simply limited romm to move might be another story.

I carry my bottles inside unless I'm driving one of the trucks. But I always stow the bottle under gear and away from the passenger seats. I'm not real concerned, but ya might as well play it safe.

Mark...

Along the same line of random safety, make sure if you have kids or dogs in the second row, that you buckle and tighten the middle seat belt, if you don't there is a chance that the buckle will become a tethered projectile, striking the unsuspecting in the head, and rendering them immediately... dead :eek:

Just messin' with you E :D

Mark W said:
What I would consider the biggest hazard is the one that no one has mentioned.

If you have the bottle stored where it can discharge toward someone if the relief valve blows, you may be looking at potential for severe frostbite. Most people will probably move the heck out of the way pretty quickly. But a kid secured in a car seat or a pet restrained in a carrier or by simply limited romm to move might be another story.

I carry my bottles inside unless I'm driving one of the trucks. But I always stow the bottle under gear and away from the passenger seats. I'm not real concerned, but ya might as well play it safe.

Mark...

AO drawer mounted.

not sure about the pressure the co2 tank are filled to, but I you have ever heard a scuba tank leak, you defiantly know air is leaking out. you can usually hear it from about 500 feet away.

CO2 stores as a liquid at about 900 PSI.

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom