OME suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woody

Staff member
Admin
Threads
Big ol' pallet arrived today from ARB...suspension and lights and more for the BJ74...

So of course, I dive right in...pair of rear leaf packs CS017RA...so those are obvious...but two slightly different front packs, both CS006F but one has a + with 9M14 markings and the other a () with 3A15 markings. Left and Right I assume, but which is which?

Stupidly, I took the left/passenger front off first, and need that done before any next steps...

20160119_163322_wm.jpg

Is that Dakar springs?

I can look at mine when I get home in ~45 minutes and see if the marks are still visible.

I just found this on Cruiser Outfitters' site:

Crap, can't read it.

It is explained here:

Cruiser Outfitters

What do the +,o,- marks on my spring mean?
OME/Dakar spring will often have a +, o, or a - painted on one end of the leaf spring, so what does that mean? The + means slightly over spec, and when we say slightly it wasn't enough to consider the spring an error rather it is by design. The o is exactly at spec and the - slightly below spec, again by design. As the drivers side of a vehicle often has more weight, its common to use a + on the drivers side and a o or a - on the passenger side. Or, a o on the drivers side and a - on the passenger. The total difference side to side is likely just 1/8"-1/4" but it can be just the right amount to level the vehicle. This is particularly important when A and B springs are not offered such as many of the newer spring applications.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bingo - searched their site, and obviously missed that :doh:

Bingo - searched their site, and obviously missed that :doh:
The real "Carnac the Magnificent" wouldn't have had this issue. :)

Big ol' pallet arrived today from ARB...suspension and lights and more for the BJ74...

So of course, I dive right in...pair of rear leaf packs CS017RA...so those are obvious...but two slightly different front packs, both CS006F but one has a + with 9M14 markings and the other a () with 3A15 markings. Left and Right I assume, but which is which?

Stupidly, I took the left/passenger front off first, and need that done before any next steps...

View attachment 1194317

I just installed theCS006F +/- springs on my BJ70 at Christmas. I installed the "+" on the left and the "-" on the passenger. Working great so far. No issues or concerns.
At the same time, I installed the CS004RA/RB springs in the rear. The ride is soft and smooth with no drive line vibration. However, the rear shackles are ~40 - 50 degrees off vertical. Since these are the heavy duty springs, I was expecting a stiff ride to start with. As a result, I hope you will post up pictures and details how your BJ74 is performing after the install.

The old rule when you don't know right from left , is to turn the springs upside down on a level floor. The drivers side is usually 10mm higher.
I think I have these on my troopy fitted by the previous owner, I'm happy with them.

The old rule when you don't know right from left , is to turn the springs upside down on a level floor. The drivers side is usually 10mm higher.
I think I have these on my troopy fitted by the previous owner, I'm happy with them.

I tried that with identically marked springs at Christmas and there was no difference in height.
[Academic discussion now since Woody posted pictures tested the 74 on the trail with the new spring installed.]

That is a good rule of thumb, particularly on a LHD stock truck without any engine, fuel tank or tire carriers, etc. Start adding those and it's often the case were the tall is on the right side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom