OME J Spring with 33" MTR's?? Anyone? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
youtube.com
OME J Springs with 33" MTR's?? Pics and/or Feedback Anyone?

Hey Guys

Going to be ordering the OME for the new rig soon and was wondering what everyone recommended for an FZJ80? I did a search and most of the posts with pictures, no longer had the pictures working. Seems J springs are an 1" longer and recommended when heavy mods are done. The rig will have an ARB in the front, full roof rack with gear, and a heavy rear bumper with spare and some sliders.

I was thinking J Springs all around with 33" MTR's. Anyone running this combo got any feedback?

Appears there is some debate between whether you can get away with just the correction bushings of if the plates are needed as well. Anyone running this combo care to chime in with advice, info or pics? I am trying to visualize the height, but i also want it to functional good as well.

Thanks

Last edited:
Make sure you order slee's pan-hard bar kit...On full stuff the MTR's rub on the passenger side only...The J-springs shift the axle over to the left if you are looking at it from the rear...Other then that no worries..MTR's get louder as they wear down but hell thats why I have a stereo..

The 315s go well with the stock gears ... I meen the power is still there.. I can see in the future 4:88s but for now I'm impressed with as well as the rig still can get upand move....

thanks, Fireman for clearing that up on that ds rear tire shifting ,after J's spring lift, i thought i was one seeing things :)

Boston Mangler said:
Hey Guys

Going to be ordering the OME for the new rig soon and was wondering what everyone recommended for an FZJ80? I did a search and most of the posts with pictures, no longer had the pictures working. Seems J springs are an 1" longer and recommended when heavy mods are done. The rig will have an ARB in the front, full roof rack with gear, and a heavy rear bumper with spare and some sliders.

I was thinking J Springs all around with 33" MTR's. Anyone running this combo got any feedback?

Appears there is some debate between whether you can get away with just the correction bushings of if the plates are needed as well. Anyone running this combo care to chime in with advice, info or pics? I am trying to visualize the height, but i also want it to functional good as well.

Thanks

I have a curiosity about the effect of a minor lift on the LC80. If it's at all possible, please get a reading with printout of your current wheel alignment at stock, and then after installing the springs, get another reading with printout. I'd like to know what the effect will be on caster and to what degree.

I have a friend who did a 2 inch lift to his, using TJM springs, but we failed to check before the lift. He thinks everything was ok and is reasonably happy with the results. Any change should have been negligible, but I still want to know.

Kalawang

Been running the J springs with BFG mud ta's 315/75/16 for 2 years at least and no problems. no need to regear, plenty of power/acceleration on the road unless going up a mountain which requires a heavier foot on the gas.

Do get the Slee Panhards, sway bar drops, brake lines.

I do wish I had the longer Slee control arms front and back as the J springs off center the wheels in the wheel wells too. but I plan to put the Slee 6" on when I have the cash so I'm not going to worry about them until then.

Boston Mangler said:
Anyone running J Springs and 33's with No Spacers?
I believe Cruiserdan is running that setup on his '93 and really likes it - I see no reason not to with Slee's new CC plates (don't even mess with OME bushings). I've got the 850/863 HD combo with 1" spacers and 33" MTR's on my rig - it sits about the same as the setup you seek and I get no rubbing (believe me - I've tried :flipoff2: ).

Tucker

FZJ80.jpg

BTW: Don't need to worry about gears with 33"s ...

Last edited:
tucker74 said:
I've got the 850/863 HD combo with 1" spacers

So, that should be the same as the J spring correct?

Nice Rig! The height and stance are perfect for what i am looking for. Are you running the caster plates or the correction bushings?

Also CRUISERDAN, what setup are you running, J springs and 33's? Are spacers needed?

Thanks

Boston Mangler said:
Yep.

Nice Rig! The height and stance are perfect for what i am looking for. Are you running the caster plates or the correction bushings?
I've got the OME CC busings - but will be going back to stock bushings and Slee's plates soon. The bushings don't correct enough in this configuration IMO ... unless you've got a 12K winch up there (like Dan).

Tucker

get 35s ()

Boston Mangler said:

Also CRUISERDAN, what setup are you running, J springs and 33's? Are spacers needed?

Thanks

850J in the front, no spacer and 864 in the rear. Standard OME shocks, sway drops, longer rear brake hose (T100), original bumpstops. OME caster bushings only, 305/70/16 tires (33).The caster is not perfect but it is quite driveable. I'm afraid the the caster plates will over-correct me.

Not to try and throw wrenches into your issue, but two friends drive with these combos:

- J springs, rubber spacers in front, 285 MTRs, no caster correction
- J springs, 1.5" metal spacer in front, 285 MTRs, OME caster correction

Both trucks drive well and are daily driven by the wives. I think it's like Dan has said in the past, every truck responds differently to lifts.

J's with no spacer and CC bushings. Rides near perfect. BFG 33x10.5. Backs a bit high now but i have nothing in there to add wieght... for now. Front has ARB and Warn 9000. extended brake lines

Last edited:
cruiserdan said:
850J in the front, no spacer and 864 in the rear. .

Hey Dan, what is the difference between the 864 and the 863J Rears?

Boston Mangler said:
Hey Dan, what is the difference between the 864 and the 863J Rears?

Load carrying capacity, basicly. The 863 rate is 200 kg static load over stock and the 864 is 400 kg static load over stock. The coil wire diameter is significantly larger on the 864.

So the 864 is for heavy load carrying? Any difference in height? I dont think i will be carrying enough load to warrant that much extra beef.

What does the J mean? Heavy duty? All the research i have done, everyone is recommending and raving about the "J" springs. Any reason why?

Boston Mangler said:
So the 864 is for heavy load carrying? Any difference in height? I dont think i will be carrying enough load to warrant that much extra beef.

What does the J mean? Heavy duty? All the research i have done, everyone is recommending and raving about the "J" springs. Any reason why?

J refers to the height of the spring. The J spring lifts 25 mm higher than the "regular" spring with the specific aformentioned additional static load.

Gotcha! Thanks

What springs would you recommend for a rig on 33" MTR's with an ARB and Winch up front, Sliders and roof rack with gear? Eventually a rear tire carrier someday.

Thanks

Boston Mangler said:
Gotcha! Thanks

What springs would you recommend for a rig on 33" MTR's with an ARB and Winch up front, Sliders and roof rack with gear? Eventually a rear tire carrier someday.

Thanks

That depends on a basket full of variables, among them how much "gear".

In my particular case the basic vehicle tips the scales at the truck-stop at just over 6,400 lbs. The published curb weight of a stock 80 is in the neighborhood of 4,600 lbs but I suspect that to be a bit on the light side. I think it is closer to 5,000 lbs. So, I'm packing 1,400 lbs additional weight just to get to work... :rolleyes: (kinda like the driver..:flipoff2: ).

To that I add a boat (3,700 lbs), camping gear (200 lbs+/-), three more people and two huge ice chests full of beer and food. Not to mention the extra gas for the boat. My CGVW can exceed 11,000 lbs quite easily and I need 864's in the back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom