OME Install & AHC Removal + Bumper Recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys, my first post, here so if I screw this up please go easy.

I have purchased a 2001 LX470 with the intention of building a daily driving 4x4 overland rig. Took a while to find a southern car without rust issues (one was in terrible condition, 4 others sold before I could get there) but I found her and love it. White w/Tan Interior, 240k. I had a Gold 2000 LX470 a few years ago that I regrettably sold and had always wanted to complete this project on, etc...but I digress.

So., I have some parts and install questions. I went to the reputable ARB dealer in my area (or where the truck resides anyway)....asked them to remove AHC, professionally so it doesn't cause any codes, problems, etc. AHC was working OK, then on went the 33" KO2s and it freaked out...anyway after owning GX models and dealing with it's quirks, I don't trust it, so it is gone.

They have several built out 80 series and 200 series building on the lot so I trust their ability.

Question is, for a 2" OME lift front and Hvy rear, torsion bars, upper control arms, diff drop and rock guards, etc (the works) + AHC removal, the bill will be $4700. That is about retail parts and 20 hrs of labor (8 of which is to remove the AHC). I did the search and in this thread it is mentioned 10hrs for complete AHC removal and $1000 for install, and alignment/leveling. AHC Delete on 2005 LX470 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ahc-delete-on-2005-lx470.1221596/ So the labor quoted seems about right. I just want to get an updated thought on this, from those of you that have been in the trenches. I understand I can do a little here and there, but do you really save anything that way? I do not mind paying for expertise and a job done right, just don't want to get taken advantage of on this one.

Finally, ARB is telling us that their rear bumper will not fit. I knew there were some front bumper fitment issues between models, but not rear bumper., I thought I have seen this done but cannot find it Thoughts? I know Slee is an option, any others that have a reasonable delivery window with a swing out rear tire carrier? Thank you in advance for your help.

I am in the Birmingham area!! Didn't see the regional forums. I will look around in the Dixieland forum. Thank you!!
Great. We have a club meeting tonight at 6pm at Billy's Sports Grille on Overton Road by Liberty Park. Everyone parks out front and kicks the tires and some go in and eat if it isn't crowded.

we're on FB as well

Welcome!

FYI, GX and LX AHC are entirely different systems. GX uses air bags, an air compressor and only in the rear. LX is hydraulic, on all 4 corners and way more reliable. Tires should have no impact on AHC. The fixes for that system are generally well documented and cheap compared to removing the entire system. It can also handle armor just fine.

Before spending an astronomical $4,700 to downgrade your suspension to the ARB setup, you may want to spend an hour or two doing some basic diagnostics on the AHC system. Simply checking pressures, adjusting torsion bars and checking gradations takes about an hour and can take a system from awful to fantastic.

If you still decide to delete the AHC system, check gradations first. I'll perhaps buy your globes if they seem good. Also check out the Ironman shocks. Might be a preferable alternative to ARB OME.

I'm a huge fan of the Dissent rear bumper and have it on my LX with AHC. Available in aluminum as well, which is a massive weight savings and still very strong. The aluminum saves around 100-150 lbs.

BIO also offers a nice traditional steel rear bumper.

1611246099956.png

Welcome!

FYI, GX and LX AHC are entirely different systems. GX uses air bags, an air compressor and only in the rear. LX is hydraulic, on all 4 corners and way more reliable. Tires should have no impact on AHC. The fixes for that system are generally well documented and cheap compared to removing the entire system. It can also handle armor just fine.

Before spending an astronomical $4,700 to downgrade your suspension to the ARB setup, you may want to spend an hour or two doing some basic diagnostics on the AHC system. Simply checking pressures, adjusting torsion bars and checking gradations takes about an hour and can take a system from awful to fantastic.

If you still decide to delete the AHC system, check gradations first. I'll perhaps buy your globes if they seem good. Also check out the Ironman shocks. Might be a preferable alternative to ARB OME.

I'm a huge fan of the Dissent rear bumper and have it on my LX with AHC. Available in aluminum as well, which is a massive weight savings and still very strong. The aluminum saves around 100-150 lbs.

BIO also offers a nice traditional steel rear bumper.

View attachment 2560238
On your Dissent rear bumper is that the accessory tray on the driver side swing arm? How do you like it?

Looking into dissent rear bumper options myself

On your Dissent rear bumper is that the accessory tray on the driver side swing arm? How do you like it?

Looking into dissent rear bumper options myself
That's the accessory panel, I think. You'd probably want to talk to Ben about it. He's got a bunch of varieties and custom setups so it's worth a discussion. I think the accessory tray is more of a horizontal tray for jerry cans and such.

I'm getting his ARB Jack enclosure right now. It provides a sleek door with lock and latch to hold the ARB Jack on the inside of that panel. I'll probably move the MaxTrax to the roof and put some rotopax containers on the outside of that swing arm. Part of the motivation there is to make those bright orange max trax a little less, "HEY EVERYBODY LOOK AT ME!"

I absolutely love Ben's work on these bumpers. That rear on mine is aluminum and barely added any net weight after removing the factory hitch. Can't say enough good about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom