old mountain bike thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice bikes! Here are mine. 1995 Cannondale M500 with a Amp F3XC and 1996 Scott Vertigo LSD Pro with Rock Shox Judy XC. The silver bike is a nice 29'er from Bikes Direct from 2009.
010.JPG

Sweet!

Ive been offloading all my old bikes for the past few years. I decided my path to happiness was slow old Landcruisers and some custom bikes..........so its nice to see some oldies in good shape.

My current oldest dirt ride is a Matt Chester

ABA09BD1-6E41-4E00-B41B-A22A2A274654.jpeg

next oldest might be my ByStickel

524AB598-754E-449F-B559-E7A9567AB4EF.jpeg

7D853BDE-17CB-41D2-AAE4-F835CF3750B8.jpeg

BD8FA965-53CB-47C6-A5C6-00E223038308.jpeg

Last edited:
I like vintage bikes so much. Once, I decided to repair an old bike in my garage, I wanted to do that with one of my mates, but we couldn't finish our project. I believe, one day we will finish it and I'll show our result here.

1997 GT LTS3 - Original owner - even have original owners manual and receipt - small upgrades - front shock - rear shock - handle bars

20180730_175614.jpg

I just noticed my last post in here was 4 years ago. Since then I completely rebuilt my Action-Tec team bike. I found a crack in the frame and had my friend thats a frame builder weld it. I had American Powder Coat in Escondido, CA put a fresh coat of red on it.
action-tec-framewerks-pro-shock_curtis-guise_01.jpg

Last year I came across this Terry Grimes Design F16 full suspension frame with one of the original Action-Tec shocks. There were only 213 of these frames made and the fork is #13 from around 1988 or 89. I had the founder of Action-Tec rebuild the shock for me along with the one on my team bike and another fork I had laying around. I also had Rise Racing rebuild the rear shock. The Action-Tec Pro Shock was way ahead of its time. Oil dampened with coil springs, 60mm of travel. Worked way better than the elastomer forks like Manitou's in the early 90's.
Terry-Grimes-F16_Action-Tec_before.jpg
Terry-Grimes-F16_Action-Tec_before2.jpg

I went with a red, white and blue theme for the rebuild. I found a pair of Bullseye hubs to match! I've done a little more work on it since this photo. It has a red stem now, white Turbo seat and white brake/shifter cables. All I need is to have a machinist make me a derailleur hanger because its a custom one that is missing.
Terry-Grimes-F16_Action-Tec.jpg

How old do you consider old? I built my hard tail from the frame up back in 2003 to take on my 1-year remote assignment to Honduras since I couldn’t take a vehicle. I built it on a Supergo (now defunct brand) Wayless hardtail frame, and everything was chosen to keep it lightweight except the pedals. It had a Rockshox SID fork, all Shimano XT/XTR components, a gel Sellé Italia saddle, and Crank Brother Mallet pedals (they had to stand up to combat boots for when I was in uniform).

Sadly, military life took a toll on my body and I stripped the hardtail down to upgrade a recumbent bike I bought (and hated because it was too heavy!). So,t the ‘bent and bought a road bike and rode it for three years until I was in so much pain I couldn’t ride any kind of bike. Had surgery in 2017 that saved my life, and now going to rebuild the old hardtail for puttering around the neighborhood. Riding is in my blood, even if I can’t hit a trail or go 20+ miles on a road bike anymore, I just hate not getting on a bicycle. So trying to source older XT/XTR components, and a crank with a double chainring since I got so used to one on my road bike. But time and money dictate this build is low priority so I’m only buying when I see a deal too good to pass up.

Zac

A friend of mine was an enthusiast in the late 90s early 2ks, but he doesn't really ride a ton anymore. He knew I drooled over this bike in high school, and a few years ago he gave me this from his fleet. It was a blast doing a full service on it and I converted it to 1x, because Michigan.

I'll always keep it maintained as a memory of my childhood, but the whole URT thing is a horrible suspension design and I'd rather just ride my 29r, to be honest. I do really like looking at it though:rofl:

12307488_1666323526986655_5235093088356758807_o.jpg

1998_Homegrown_All_MTN_LXT.jpg

Last edited:
This is my 97' Kona Hahanna. I bought it new when I was in high school and have hung onto it. I am going to need to upgrade the components soon as they are showing there age. My wife rides it now and I hope to hang on to it for a long time to come.
IMG-8297.jpg

My 1987 Trek 8000. It was a CL find about 2 years ago. Pretty much new old stock. I’ve built it up for gravel touring and camping. Great bike that has some cool Shimano tech including a Shark Bite rear brake and Biopace oval-shaped chainrings that smooth out the pedal stroke. I’m a fan actually. Over a 100 mile day, a 4% efficiency gain is 4 more miles of touring.

DF50199A-A60C-4D93-975D-5E9FE213551C.jpeg
3F168760-783F-413D-9902-8287EA42C233.jpeg
BE65DD06-80FA-40DB-89F7-8C88FA90E32E.jpeg

Biopace, I forgot their name. I bought one when they came out and never really liked it, went back to a round ring. Man, that was a while ago eighties.

Biopace, I forgot their name. I bought one when they came out and never really liked it, went back to a round ring. Man, that was a while ago eighties.
Sheldon likes em...

Wow, that's a lot of info on them. Now I'm wondering if I still have mine somewhere. I didn't like it when climbing a steep hill, felt like I was losing momentum (if I remember right). :)

just got a santa cruz with a oneup oval. the modern ovals are the opposite alignment to the crank realtive to biopace.

i bought a fisher hookooeekoo new in 1987 and had them switch out the biopace after a few days. so far i barely notice the new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom