Builds Old Blue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just getting a game plan and choosing the color pallet 🤷‍♂️. I did pull the glove box lid and sand blasted it . And repainted. Then found an ashtray and redid that as well. Going to go with Voodoo blue. Since I have some left over raptor liner and I have some Cerakote that is very close I can use on some pieces .

IMG_5850.jpeg

IMG_5860.jpeg

IMG_5856.jpeg

IMG_5858.jpeg

IMG_5861.jpeg

The tub is going to get sandblasted. Once it’s done I will shoot the underside and the inside with the raptor. The exterior will get painted

So I gotta ask as a guy thats never linked, well, anything: Is it that easy after you have one (or two) under your belt? I have the desire, but I’m afraid I won’t find the balance between street and trail. Mine is mostly street with occasional wheeling road trips, so really need to nail it.

So I gotta ask as a guy thats never linked, well, anything: Is it that easy after you have one (or two) under your belt? I have the desire, but I’m afraid I won’t find the balance between street and trail. Mine is mostly street with occasional wheeling road trips, so really need to nail it.
I can not answer that . Some say its easy to wire a car Some cant turn on a light switch . I learned alot doing mine and have made some changes . It worked and drove fine i just wanted to improve some areas I think this one will be easier since i can reference mine . At some point i actually want to put 33 or 35 on mine that are very street friendly and really open mine up to see what it can do . Right now i have only gone 80 mph in it and it was fine but i dont want to push my luck my tires are not even balanced . I do have another 1 after this That is a high end build that was in magazines but they now want to make it have a modern drive train . Honestly i never thought i would drive mine on the street. and it would never come out of 4 low and live its life on a trailer. All that went out the window ,If i had normal tires on it i would drive it across country it rides almost as good as my tundra . to be perfectly honest i wish we where not going to 43s. i think 37 -38.5 would be perfect and make a really nice rig that you can use all year. not just 2 weeks out of the year if you are lucky .

Last edited:
My friend Ken ( Offroad Hub ) linked his FJ cruiser He had never even welded before. I talked him through his job almost daily. and it turned out great . He is actually picking up my old axles to Link his wife Suzuki . If you were closer i would let you drive mine and you could see if you liked it . If you watch you tube there is a guy building a really Nice 40 right now Austin and he linked his . good watch .

Last edited:
What would be really cool :hmm: Now my gears are turning Is if someone :bounce:. actually made a frame that was all set up for links Like the genrite tracer for the jeeps . Now that i will have a bare frame HMMM. if i could scan the frame. hmm Will circle back to this .

What would be really cool :hmm: Now my gears are turning Is if someone :bounce:. actually made a frame that was all set up for links Like the genrite tracer for the jeeps . Now that i will have a bare frame HMMM. if i could scan the frame. hmm Will circle back to this .
Roadster shop does….but its something like $30k or more and have read not so good things about their frames meeting build specs of the customer.

pretty sure icon has Art Morrison do linked frames.

Aww it’s like old times 😃. Grinding and cutting

IMG_5901.jpeg

IMG_5904.jpeg

IMG_5903.jpeg

IMG_5902.jpeg

Spent a little time today pulling some more parts. Then took everything to sand blast . Should be ready tomorrow 😃. I used a gasket scraper and got most of that crap off the aprons some type of undercoat 🤷‍♂️.

IMG_5908.png

IMG_5909.jpeg

IMG_5931.jpeg

IMG_5923.jpeg

When you only have 1 leg, the hand throttle is a must! LOL. It actually worked well. OB2 gonna be saweet.
MIke

I think this build might just turn out ok 🤷‍♂️

IMG_5944.jpeg

IMG_5941.jpeg

So :hmm: since its going Blue again should i do the hinges and latches and stuff. Black ? Silver ? or color match . If i go black or silver i can Cerakote if color match well i have to paint . all the Hardware will be SS on this .

I can not answer that . Some say its easy to wire a car Some cant turn on a light switch . I learned alot doing mine and have made some changes . It worked and drove fine i just wanted to improve some areas I think this one will be easier since i can reference mine . At some point i actually want to put 33 or 35 on mine that are very street friendly and really open mine up to see what it can do . Right now i have only gone 80 mph in it and it was fine but i dont want to push my luck my tires are not even balanced . I do have another 1 after this That is a high end build that was in magazines but they now want to make it have a modern drive train . Honestly i never thought i would drive mine on the street. and it would never come out of 4 low and live its life on a trailer. All that went out the window ,If i had normal tires on it i would drive it across country it rides almost as good as my tundra . to be perfectly honest i wish we where not going to 43s. i think 37 -38.5 would be perfect and make a really nice rig that you can use all year. not just 2 weeks out of the year if you are lucky .

Thats about where my rig is at, fully modern drivetrain, 37"s, and more wheel travel than most people ever use. Its a good wheeling / driver combo for the most part.

It always seems like they get driven on the street more than you would think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom