Builds Old Blue (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So for Now I think I am going to use the bumper on the Honey Badger

DA842B69-9705-427B-8524-1E65D5CBDE9C.jpeg

76590814-D734-45FC-9D08-CC74F57301F7.jpeg

A32CB0B1-309B-4087-8F37-ED81EB72786D.jpeg

Old blue can pull the honey badger out of sticky situations!
Lol looking good

Since we are going to 42s but ran out of time ,we made the decision to run the 40s. . The Red labels were still like new but they were so cracked I just did not feel comfortable going to Fordyce/ Rubicon with questionable tires . So old blue got some bling from the Honey Badger , For the next couple of weeks . Actually these are from my FJ cruiser that I never put on . I was going to SAS it but changed directions after buying everything to do it 🤦🏻‍♂️ O well I have lots of parts that are being used on old Blue and the Honey Badger So it’s working out

C5B6BA22-9C35-44FA-958E-6DC8CCDEC900.jpeg

44435B23-6461-4C11-A896-D9C1E4776E76.jpeg

Last edited:
Since I lost the rear bumper I needed some sort of rear lights . I don’t want some Jeep to rear end me on the trail 🤦🏻‍♂️ So added one of these light bars. It does all kinds of different strobes. I will be the first one to say Fordyce is not the smartest trail to do a shake down run on but that is the hand that we are delt. So hoping she stays together .

BE95ADDB-0CB0-410B-8219-01FFC942C4F2.png

1A1C5695-79AC-4981-83B9-1BCE60967CE2.png

So it’s almost time to dust this project off and fire up this build again . After taking it out on the Rubicon last year. I realized it was going to need a little work . I talked to Mike and he was able to find a good roller . ( I want to build this right ) The plan is to frame the new one and build all the suspension and stuff Without a body in the way 😃. I will start with sand blasting the frame . Once everything is built it will all come apart again then go to Powder coat . This will be linked front and rear. It will be on 43 inch tsl Sx And it will be on custom axles . Engine tbd. Keep the 2f 🤷‍♂️. Or swap to a 5.7 😃. The 2f is ok but really even with the Orion t case and 488 gears. It needs more and with 43s it will be needed that much more but we will see . Maybe we can get some deeper gearing with different axles 🤔🤷‍♂️. . I will use as much as I can off of old blue since this was Mikes first Land Cruiser . I just could not justify spending the time to trying and make old blue worthy with the amount of rust Plus it had been roiled a few times so everything was tweaked.

IMG_7970.jpeg

IMG_7971.jpeg

IMG_7972.jpeg

So it’s almost time to dust this project off and fire up this build again . After taking it out on the Rubicon last year. I realized it was going to need a little work . I talked to Mike and he was able to find a good roller . ( I want to build this right ) The plan is to frame the new one and build all the suspension and stuff Without a body in the way 😃. I will start with sand blasting the frame . Once everything is built it will all come apart again then go to Powder coat . This will be linked front and rear. It will be on 43 inch tsl Sx And it will be on custom axles . Engine tbd. Keep the 2f 🤷‍♂️. Or swap to a 5.7 😃. The 2f is ok but really even with the Orion t case and 488 gears. It needs more and with 43s it will be needed that much more but we will see . Maybe we can get some deeper gearing with different axles 🤔🤷‍♂️. . I will use as much as I can off of old blue since this was Mikes first Land Cruiser . I just could not justify spending the time to trying and make old blue worthy with the amount of rust Plus it had been roiled a few times so everything was tweaked.

View attachment 3457642

View attachment 3457643

View attachment 3457644
Sooo, what is going to be used from Old Blue?

Sooo, what is going to be used from Old Blue?
Well :hmm: The wheels are good :). Winch is good. Rad is new . and the Bib is still good . I think a hood latch maybe ok lol When i had my windshield made i had them make 2 so i have new glass and new rubber i just need to blast the frame . I have some good aprons . I have been draging my feet on mounting the new tires kinda undecided on if i should pc the beadlock rings Blue or black again

Last edited:
Well :hmm: The wheels are good :)
Hahahaha. I was thinking maybe you'd pull a few fuses and carry them over as well.

I'm in the same boat with my '77. (which I'm starting to think was built by the same builder as Old Blue by the way they look? Was it an early Proffit's build? Show us your FJ40 then and now - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/show-us-your-fj40-then-and-now.1322793/page-5#post-15178113 )

By the time I do what I really want, I've cut up and rebuilt a perfectly good trail rig that would make someone totally happy, but just isn't up to my mental standards of what I "want". It works fine. It could be made much more reliable and cleaner from a wiring and plumbing standpoint. Feel like I should start with something that has already had all the life sucked out of it, just a frame and a rusty tub. The only thing I want to re-use from it is the Atlas, and I'd like a 40 cowel to be part of the build, and narrowed bib and single rear bar door.....

Looking forward to following the economy stimulation with this build!

I need a to figure out a color scheme . It will be blue. but thinking blue grey black somehow :hmm:

Wow your Orange one is basically identical to it :oops: Mike is good friends with Proffits and i know the rear 4 link was . Cage even looks the same .

Wow your Orange one is basically identical to it :oops: Mike is good friends with Proffits and i know the rear 4 link was . Cage even looks the same .
Yeah, they may have shared shop space at some point in time!?! The Orange one was built in CO, unsure if an actual Proffits build, but the rear link suspension is either their kit or was done by them. They look like brothers for sure!

I am sure Mike will chime in and hopefully he has pics of when it was stock or at least in its early days . I just know we would meet at Tellico every year for GSMTR and every year they would sit around talking about things they were going to do for the next year . Sputnik40 ( Bill ) and Mike would kinda do the same mods as the years went on . I remember when Bills 40 was basically a frame off resto build with the factory hub caps and now It is just the cowl left :oops:

Well since all the cool
Kids run 60s I figured I would jump on the bus 😃. This is out of a 2006

image000000.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom